Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 14:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

After-Market Cabin Air Filters

I found the best thing about Seltos, Sonet and the New Creta to be the in-cabin air filter with pollution level monitor. That was so dandy. I spotted this Hyundai external air filter costing just Rs 2,600 - which plugs into the car charger. This looks like a value buy. I also have used Sharp Plasmacluster devices in the past, to much relief. In this age and time of air borne pollution and virus, I feel such filters should be mandatory and should be provided by every car manufacturer. Kindly share any such devices you use and share your views on the subject
Attached Thumbnails
After-Market Cabin Air Filters-img_27151.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 19th September 2020 at 14:20.
Sebring is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:18   #2
BHPian

re: After-Market Cabin Air Filters

I found this on amazon and the latest reviews are pretty good. The best thing is its compact and also can be plugged into the 12V charger directly, has USB charging slots too. I am planning to buy this and use it for a week. I hope I return it if I do not find it useful,

https://www.amazon.in/Litake-Purifier-Freshener-Cigarette-Automobile/dp/B07X5RG4MS/ref=sr_1_21_sspa
Attached Thumbnails
After-Market Cabin Air Filters-capture.jpg  

Shrey_1520 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Wow. That's pretty compact, hope it works! Interestingly, there was something like this I'd seen from Siemens. That was a prototype. Do share your buyer review
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey_1520 View Post
I found this on amazon and the latest reviews are pretty good. The best thing is its compact and also can be plugged into the 12V charger directly, has USB charging slots too. I am planning to buy this and use it for a week
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 17:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I found this on amazon and the latest reviews are pretty good.
And do be cautious using makes that churn out Ozone, without any certification behind it. A runaway device spewing higher concentrations can have negative effects on health.
whitewing is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 19:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
And do be cautious using makes that churn out Ozone, without any certification behind it. A runaway device spewing higher concentrations can have negative effects on health.
I do see the below mentioned in the description, however I could not find any credible source to verify it.

Quote:
【World-Wide Accreditation and 12 Months Warranty】 All of our products have FCC, RoHS and CE certifications FCC (Federal Communications Commission), RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances). Make the world a better place with your choice
Shrey_1520 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 19:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: After-Market Cabin Air Filters

If you're looking for something from a more trustworthy brand, Philips India has some models. They are seen on Amazon too, but currently out of stock.

After-Market Cabin Air Filters-screenshot-20200921-191217.png
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 21:45   #7
BHPian

I have an aftermarket honeywell filter (from Amazon) in mine. Based on my research that time, I concluded Hepa filters were the best solution for PM 0.1 & PM 2.5 particle filtering. It seemed the air ioniser ones, though economical, had mixed reviews.
Vijin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:15   #8
BHPian

The cabin air filter that is part of the AC system is a HEPA filter capable of filtering pm2.5 particles. I once used a Bosch filter with activated carbon to get the smoke and odor out in addition to particulate matter. I clean my cabin filter about once in two months and see a lot of fine powdery dust while lightly tapping it.

The Ion/Ozone filters have their drawbacks. They are not particularly necessary and may be harmful as well: https://molekule.science/air-purifie...s-bad-or-good/

With the above in mind do these standalone filters really provide any value add. The HEPA filter in the AC should be capable of removing whatever the standalone filter can and probably more as it has a stronger motor and larger filter area.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 27th September 2020 at 10:21.
rajathv8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

I prefer using a performance cabin filter instead of a car purifier.
Recently I purchased a Bosch cabin air filter which is double the cost of the OEM filter. However I am satisfied. I also do clean it by myself once in 15 days.
Old 27th September 2020, 10:36   #10
BHPian

I would suggest branded air purifiers as it is related to health. Also always check if replacement filters are available readily. Many air purifiers do not have replacement filters available. I found blaupunkt air purifier and on their website they are selling filter for 700/- bucks. This is supposed to be changed every 6 months, many people do not bother to change it, no point in buying air purifier if not changing filters regularly.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07T7W4KVN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kZbCFbM9VDA9W
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:53   #11
BHPian

I have always wondered if it’s possible to replace the stock cabin air filter with better HEPA ones. Tesla cars have something called as Bioweapon Defense Mode which I believe is just a fancy word for HEPA filter + a powerful air circulator.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 11:17   #12
BHPian

I have been using the Honeywell Move Pure2 since last Diwali. Bought it from an electronic shop in Khan Market in desperation after the pollution levels in Delhi took a nose-dive. I bought it for around Rs. 8,500 after some bargaining.

Going by Amazon rates now, it retails for a little for Rs. 10,000

Link - https://www.amazon.in/Honeywell-Move.../dp/B07D6QC74V

Pros:
1. Probably the best after-market air purification in the market with Honeywell pedigree.
2. Cool-looking and bright live AQI display which is very legible and will soon become your car's talking point.
3. Sleek design with 3M Velcro tethers for putting it on your dashboard.
4. Very, very long 12V socket cable. You could easily put it in the 3rd row of even the longest cars and keep it plugged in with the driver's 12V socket.
5. Accurate AQI reporting and silent operation. I'm benchmarking it against my Dyson at home.

Cons:
1. Due to its small size, the volume of air it can move around the cabin is limited. If you are on a standstill, it will visibly bring down the AQI but the reduction is slower when you are on the move.

Tip: Try to keep the air-con on internal circulation. Also fit a HEPA cabin air-filter or a 3M electrostatic filter on top of your OEM cabin air filter to augment the air purifier.

PS: May consider changing the thread name to 'After-Market Cabin Air Purifier'
Attached Thumbnails
After-Market Cabin Air Filters-img_20191115_074917.jpg  

After-Market Cabin Air Filters-img_20191115_074932.jpg  

iamitp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

In-car air purifiers work best - Philips, Honeywell, and even the ones off Alibaba. Ionizers are quite useless in this regard. OEM cabin filters - except Tesla - do not claim to be HEPA or N9x.

Quote:
I found this on amazon and the latest reviews are pretty good. The best thing is its compact and also can be plugged into the 12V charger directly, has USB charging slots too. I am planning to buy this and use it for a week. I hope I return it if I do not find it useful,
Might as well go ahead and return it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
This is correct.

Quote:
I do see the below mentioned in the description, however I could not find any credible source to verify it.
CE, RoHS, FCC, are all adherences and certifications for manufacturing and communication. This means that the device does not interfere with other bandwidths (FCC), is safe to bite and not poisonous at manufacturing (RoHS), and works fine under European power supply (CE). You can also certify a plastic bag as all of these, but it makes little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
The cabin air filter that is part of the AC system is a HEPA filter capable of filtering pm2.5 particles. I once used a Bosch filter with activated carbon to get the smoke and odor out in addition to particulate matter. I clean my cabin filter about once in two months and see a lot of fine powdery dust while lightly tapping it.
OEM cabin filters are not HEPA, with the current exception of Tesla. Bosch and other OEM suppliers do make HEPA filters, but no car maker currently claims their purification is HEPA. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
The Ion/Ozone filters have their drawbacks. They are not particularly necessary and may be harmful as well: https://molekule.science/air-purifie...s-bad-or-good/
This is correct. Molekule is separately a bit of a scam, but this information is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
I have always wondered if it’s possible to replace the stock cabin air filter with better HEPA ones. Tesla cars have something called as Bioweapon Defense Mode which I believe is just a fancy word for HEPA filter + a powerful air circulator.
Tesla's Bioweapon mode creates positive pressure, which means that the air pressure inside the car is slightly higher than ambient (1 atm @ MSL). This prevents ingress to a higher degree. It also has HEPA filtration. You cannot fit HEPA filters to a standard unit, without suffering a noticeable pressure drop. This will also lead to icing on your condenser etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
5. Accurate AQI reporting and silent operation. I'm benchmarking it against my Dyson at home.
While your device works fine - and you should consider getting 2 for your car depending on size - I wouldn't trust either its AQI reading or Dyson's. In-device monitors get clogged up often, so after a few days the readings are useless. Dyson, on the other hand, buys third party data that is notoriously inaccurate.

If anyone's interested, check out indianairpollution.com . We built it because my founder's kid almost died in Bangalore from air pollution. This is a non-commercial website, but please feel free to remove it if it violates guidelines.

Last edited by v1p3r : 27th September 2020 at 12:10.
v1p3r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I found this on amazon and the latest reviews are pretty good.
I have similar kind of ionizers from amazon, these help settle down dust particles floating in the cabin and is also able to take of any offensive smell that comes into the cabin. I have found these much better than the car perfumes.

Quote:
The cabin air filter that is part of the AC system is a HEPA filter capable of filtering pm2.5 particles
I too think that an air filter is nothing but marketing gimmick, a good HEPA filter is enough to filter out bacteria/virus and pollution particles. The remaining is odor, which can be removed by car perfumes or ionizers.
AmitRavi07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 12:48   #15
BHPian

Bought this 'my TVS' cabin filter from Flipkart. Was looking for a air purifier actually and stumbled upon this new stuff. Says it comes with 3 stage air purification (yet to fully test its efficacy).

https://www.flipkart.com/search?q=my...show=on&as=off

Just watch out for Flipkart's pathetic delivery!! These guys are going from bad to worse!!
Attached Thumbnails
After-Market Cabin Air Filters-capture.jpg  

Last edited by vinair : 27th September 2020 at 12:51.
vinair is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks