Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 21:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Xpel Paint Protection Film on my Jeep Compass

Any feedback on cliff design ppf? Opticoat is offering it and it looked awesome on a beamer which they had worked on. Super hydropobic performance too. Skeptical that I haven't heard of it, but looked great and coming from Opticoat outlet, giving it a serious thought
Old 4th June 2021, 19:49   #17
BHPian

Glad that I bumped on this thread. I am also confused whether to go for super expensive PPF for my jeep compass (Techno-metallic green color). I get more confused when I talk to guys doing PPF.

Following are the quotes i got for complete wrapping of compass:

- Noida 3M : He quoted 85K for 3M self-healing ppf.
- T&R Auto delhi: Quoted 2.3 lacs for Xpel ultimate plus. He was convincing me hard to go for ultimate plus saying it is best. This
- Garware: I've been quoted 1.5 lacs.

85k-2.3 lacs is huge range and some of these guys or all trying to make fool . Any guidance is appreciated regarding:

- what is total Area of compass that has to be wrapped (except roof)?
- is it worth spending 2.3 lacs on PPF!
Old 5th June 2021, 13:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_9730 View Post
Following are the quotes i got for complete wrapping of compass:

Noida 3M : He quoted 85K for 3M self-healing ppf.
The 3M quote of Rs. 85k for complete wrapping with 3M self-healing PPF sounds too good to be true. From what I have heard, complete wrapping of the car at 3M usually touches Rs. 1.5L or so. Never heard of any quote under Rs. 1L for full wrapping.

Maybe this is partial wrapping or something else. Please double check this carefully.

Quote:
is it worth spending 2.3 lacs on PPF!
My personal opinion is it is NOT worth it at this high price. Rs. 2.3L is way too high a cost just to keep your paint cosmetically protected. Even a fresh repaint down the years will cost only about 30% of this cost.

Full PPF is only useful in cases such as if you plan to do a lot of rural drivers and will not have access to good car cleaning places for long time, and/or you plan to do many jungle drives (with trees/thorns scratching your paint). In all other cases, a good car wash at places like 3M is all you need.

A complete shampoo wash at 3M costs around Rs. 800 here in Bangalore. Even if I do that once every month, the net cost is way lesser than the cost of full PPF (especially costs like Rs. 2.3L that you mentioned) over the lifetime of the car.

I would suggest you go for partial PPF, where you apply PPF only in critical areas such as bumpers. Or else carefully double check the 3M quote. if it is indeed Rs. 85k for full PPF, then it maybe worth it at that price.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 5th June 2021 at 13:53.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 10:59   #19
BHPian

Thanks a lot for such a detailed post. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I'm looking to buy a Compass (after XUV700 gets launched and a fair bit of comparison) and the thing that has been bugging me has been about PPF and Ceramic Coatings. My intention is to take the car on off-roads and quite a bit of Wayanad trips (since that's my native place). I want to leave peacefully and not worry about scratches and stone dents.

A few queries that I had; would be great if you could help me with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhann5 View Post

Ceramic was not even considered due to the heavy maintenance after application.

The major difference between the supreme and ultimate is the 5MM and 7MM thickness. And hence the warranty is for 5yrs and 7yrs on the films.
The SA further explained that yearly maintenance is required to keep the shiny look and they would removing 1mm a year to keep the good look.

(...) then I was asked to leave the car under direct sun for few hours so the PPF can stick well. The more the heat, the better it is for the film.
Observed some bubbles on the door panels at the time of delivery which I was told would go in few days after getting exposed to the sun.
Why do you say Ceramic Coating needs a lot of maintenance? Can you please elaborate?

My current thought process was to do a full ceramic coating and apply the PPF only on the lower parts of body to provide protection from scratches. What are your thoughts on this approach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhann5 View Post
Read few reviews which talked about how patches don't really look good and how the dust settles at the edges and makes a car look ugly. (Ever got a phone, computer screen, or anything else covered with plastic?, look at the edges and you would know what I am talking about). Dust settles down quickly and gets stuck. As time progress, it even spoils the original color by leaving marks.
Is this about PPF or Ceramic Coating? Sorry a bit confused here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
However, one price I have to pay (and I do feel bad about it) is that my car never looks shiny red in the photos. The photos always have a "plasticy feel" because the PPF reflects light in a very plasticy manner (light reflection properties of plastic and metal are different and you can not avoid that with PPF). When I see photos of some other shiny red BMWs, I realize what is missing in my photos. But this is a small price to pay for the advantages of the PPF I mentioned above.

Would this also be applicable to the type of color? I can see that your beautiful BMW is red in colour. Maybe a darker color tone, for example that beautiful Techno Metallic Green that Jeep offers on the compass will not show much of this 'plasticy' feel?
Old 1st July 2021, 22:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Why do you say Ceramic Coating needs a lot of maintenance? Can you please elaborate?
A ceramic coat will have to be taken to the service regularly ( about once in 3 months depending on the usage) for touch ups and getting it back to glory.
Daily cleaning as well has to follow a certain protocols which are time and money consuming.

Quote:
My current thought process was to do a full ceramic coating and apply the PPF only on the lower parts of body to provide protection from scratches. What are your thoughts on this approach?
Is this about PPF or Ceramic Coating? Sorry a bit confused here.
This is about partial PPF. Over a period of time, dust would settle at the edges and if the patch happens to be on a visible part of the car, it would look ugly.

In short: I would say, ceramic is more like a shoe polish to keep the car shiny. Whereas, PPF is a plastic wrap on the shoe to keep the leather safe.

Be mindful of the type of PPF and obviously the reputation of the installer. Market is filled with lot of low cost ones which obviously have its downsides too.
vardhann5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would this also be applicable to the type of color? I can see that your beautiful BMW is red in colour. Maybe a darker color tone, for example that beautiful Techno Metallic Green that Jeep offers on the compass will not show much of this 'plasticy' feel?
This plasticy reflection of light that I am talking about is regardless of color. It may not be so visible in first couple of years. However, it will become visible later after maybe 3 years or so. In my car I started noticing it more prominently in recent times. This is just the way the PPF reflects light as compared to a metallic surface, and this is regardless of the color. I am not sure if this happens with all quality of films. Maybe some latest expensive films are immune from this. However this certainly happened in my 3M PPF, which was supposed to be of quite good quality I assume.

There is another potential defect in cheap films (not in good quality films, but certainly in cheaper ones) and that is yellow tinting. Some cheap films give a yellowish tint after a few years. This defect is color dependent. This is more clearly visible in white or silver cars, but often gets undetected in dark colored cars.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 2nd July 2021 at 14:22.
Old 6th September 2021, 09:57   #22
BHPian

I am confused if I should go for PPF for my new Jeep Compass or not , the issue is that cost is prohibitively high ! 1.5 L for PPF and the value is that I will be assured that underneath PPF paint is protected from minor scratches !

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th September 2021 at 10:27. Reason: JC = Jeep Compass. Please do not use acronyms.
Old 18th October 2021, 21:50   #23
BHPian

Very nice thread!

I am planning to buy Compass Limited White color next month. Thinking of PPF (3M )for the same. Has anyone faced any PPF discoloration issues with white (long term)? Any expert opinions?
Old 19th October 2021, 18:38   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by car FANATICUS View Post
I am confused if I should go for PPF for my new Jeep Compass or not , the issue is that cost is prohibitively high ! 1.5 L for PPF and the value is that I will be assured that underneath PPF paint is protected from minor scratches !
I think this is purely a personal choice. In my world, I went ahead and got the PPF done. 10 months and I have already been thankful on multiple occasions that I have done it. The road to my hometown is a single road with bushes on either side of the road. A car is prone to rub those thorns on every ride and get scratches. Mines got no scratches and no swirl marks till now (touch wood)
And not to forget the flying stone chips on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Very nice thread!

I am planning to buy Compass Limited White color next month. Thinking of PPF (3M )for the same. Has anyone faced any PPF discoloration issues with white (long term)? Any expert opinions?
Did you check with the dealer? Most PPF vendors (atleast xpel and 3M that I personally am aware off) these days offer warranty against decolorisation and promise to do a free reapplication if something happens.
vardhann5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:25   #25
BHPian

I spoke to 3M. They said they offer warranty for 5 years ( against discoloration as well ). Self-healing type costs 1.6 L ( excluding roof ) and the normal one costs little above 1 L.

Do other brands offer more than 5 years warranty. I asked their opinion on how it will hold after 5 years - the guy was not that confident, he says its better to remove after 5 years ( chances of discoloration will be high after 5 years ).

The Jeep dealer says they can do Ceramic at 40K. Few advantages they cited were, I can get it done before delivery and the maintenance for the same can be done when I do the regular service ( at Jeep ) as well. The sales guy says, while ceramic wont hold like PPF, periodic maintenance ( along with vehicle service ) can help remove any scratches.

[ While 5 years is a good time, I intent to keep the vehicle for 8-10 years ( unless anything unfortunate happens ) ]
Old 27th October 2021, 14:19   #26

I had a few questions on PPF. I am getting my car (Jeep compass Limited) delivered this week and planning to get PPF applied.

I got quotes from 2-3 dealers (with ref from TBHP forum inputs only). All have good reviews and do a good job. But I have the following questions:

1. 1 of the 3 dealers specifies the brand (Xpel supreme, 150u) and the other 2 vendors say they locally source it 160. The price difference comes to around 50-100 Rs per sqft (the total area around 160 sqft for JC) All three come with a 5 yr warranty. Should I pay a premium for this particular brand of ppf?

2. How accurately do they do the area measurement? Should I double-check how they do the measurement and get it done by multiple vendors to get an accurate quote? I am asking this question because different vendors are quoting different numbers for the same spec. Not sure if its a communication gap or something else.

3. I am thinking of excluding the A, B pillars, the roof, and rear spoilers, assuming low impact and hoping to keep the cost down. This reduces the cost by around 10-12k
Old 29th October 2021, 13:38   #27

Quote:
I spoke to 3M. They said they offer warranty for 5 years ( against discoloration as well ). Self-healing type costs 1.6 L ( excluding roof ) and the normal one costs little above 1 L.

Do other brands offer more than 5 years warranty.
Yes, almost all good ones provide 5/7/9 years of warranty. Each have different PPF material type which would last the time. And obviously it comes at a cost.
I would personally recommend the Self healing ones as they heal minor scratches and swirl marks themselves.
Most of them would not just last the warranty period but also beyond. Hence depending on the wear and tear, one could take a call on removing and reapplying fresh PPF as required.

Quote:
The Jeep dealer says they can do Ceramic at 40K. Few advantages they cited were, I can get it done before delivery and the maintenance for the same can be done when I do the regular service ( at Jeep ) as well. The sales guy says, while ceramic wont hold like PPF, periodic maintenance ( along with vehicle service ) can help remove any scratches.
Did they tell you what brand ceramic material would they be using ?
I think the sales guy is not being completely honest on the ceramic maintenance part. - A typical service for Jeep is yearly/15,000 KM’s. Ceramic coatings on an average requires maintenance (touch ups and polishing) every quarter or even frequently depending on the usage conditions to keep the car in its glory. So the point of ceramic maintenance once in an year along with the Jeep service is something I find not convincing.
And also not to forget that ceramic only help improve the looks of the car. Won’t really help remove the scratches (may be minor ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chackodude View Post
I had a few questions on PPF. I am getting my car (Jeep compass Limited) delivered this week and planning to get PPF applied.

I got quotes from 2-3 dealers (with ref from TBHP forum inputs only). All have good reviews and do a good job. But I have the following questions:

1. 1 of the 3 dealers specifies the brand (Xpel supreme, 150u) and the other 2 vendors say they locally source it 160. The price difference comes to around 50-100 Rs per sqft (the total area around 160 sqft for JC) All three come with a 5 yr warranty. Should I pay a premium for this particular brand of ppf?

2. How accurately do they do the area measurement? Should I double-check how they do the measurement and get it done by multiple vendors to get an accurate quote? I am asking this question because different vendors are quoting different numbers for the same spec. Not sure if its a communication gap or something else.

3. I am thinking of excluding the A, B pillars, the roof, and rear spoilers, assuming low impact and hoping to keep the cost down. This reduces the cost by around 10-12k
1. A big YES. An applicant (people who do the job) is the most important factors while choosing PPF.

2. The measurements are usually applicant specific again. They bring on these sheets from the manufacturer and they cut out as per the need. Some try to reuse the small cut pieces cut while applying for the bigger spaces into smaller areas and some just discard those small cut pieces and go for fresh cuts for everything. Hence more area.

3. This is a personal preference/ choice. So I leave it up to you to decide.

Happy driving.
Old 10th January 2022, 14:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have PPF Ultimate on my F-pace and its been about a year since I got it done. No swirls at all. However, I was trying to get the Xpel paint sealant which is their polish of sort to keep up the maintenance. Haven't been able to find this. Any idea if they have it in stock there? And if not, what do they suggest to do to keep the shine?
I am a bit skeptical to get the car polished by my detailer.
Hello,
I am looking for a good PPF for my A4. I am very much confused with the deviation in price range . Some members have got PPF done for 30k and some have paid as high as 2.5Lac. It is also very difficult to understand which installer is using genuine product.

Can you please share the details of your installer , brand used and cost. How is the PPF performing?
Old 10th January 2022, 14:57   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post

Can you please share the details of your installer , brand used and cost. How is the PPF performing?
I have used diff installers and diff brands. Xpel and Llumar are the two brands that you should stick to, they both will be approx 2L+ for a full car.

Llumar has several authorized dealers, check their website to find one closest to you. It seems like Llumar has a better network and service in India.
Old 13th March 2022, 21:12   #30

Here I am attaching images of my Jeep which shows how dust got settled and looks ugly in the places where the sheet is being cut and not folded inside. Just the Rear view mirror was done this way. All other panels are folded and hence nothing found there.
I strongly recommend that everyone who is getting PPF on their cars should opt for this methods.
Attached Thumbnails
Xpel Paint Protection Film on my Jeep Compass-51f9723139d144fbb8115fa1ff88df8f.jpeg  

vardhann5 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks