Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 09:59   #1

Fastag for a used car

I recently purchased an used car that came with its own fastag and now I want to put a new one. The previous owner has deactivated it.

May I just get a new fastag immediately? Or, do I have to wait for the name transfer to complete first and then get it?
raktim_suparna is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 10:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fastag for a used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raktim_suparna View Post
I recently purchased an used car that came with its own fastag and now I want to put a new one. The previous owner has deactivated it.

May I just get a new fastag immediately? Or, do I have to wait for the name transfer to complete first and then get it?
You can get one immediately, fastag is mapped to the vehicle registration number and not the owner.
Mr.Boss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 10:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As @Mr.Boss mentioned, fastag is only linked to the registration number. However I am not sure if fastag issuers will give you a new tag if the RC card is not in your name. You will have to check with them.

As far as going past a toll is concerned, you can go past it with just about any tag. There are even cases where trucks using fastags of cars to pay less. What I mean to say is that the fastag doesn't do much beyond recognising a valid tag. There is no realtime validation of any sort unless the toll operator intervenes.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 12:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am not sure if fastag issuers will give you a new tag if the RC card is not in your name.
That shouldn't be an issue, below is my case

- Got fastag from Equitas for one of my car even before name transfer. Later switched to Paytm (after name transfer) due to repeated issues with Equitas
- One of my other car is not in my name (registered within family) but I got the tag linked to my Paytm account
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's best to wait for the RC transfer to be done before you get a new Fastag. Helps avoid much of the hassle. Whilst purchasing tags from ICICI and PayTM, they asked us to enter owner name as well as the picture of the RC.
akash_v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 08:59   #6
BHPian

I just got a fast tag on my pre-owned celerio last year.
1. Fast tag is tagged to RC, so you need to wait for the RC transfer to happen. In Pune it took just 5 days things move pretty fast with RTO nowdays
2. The RC/ Account name mis match will prevent you from registering fast tag with previous owners RC- in case of Paytm account

Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 09:07   #7
BHPian

I had bought a used Etios in December 2020 & immediately got a PayTM FASTag online. The FASTag is anyways linked to the car & not to the owner so you can get it without any issues. Just the RC copy is required. The PayTM FASTag was delivered to me within 3 days.
Old 14th March 2021, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Well, if you are going out on highways, take a fastag immediately and there is no need for the car to be on your name. They need the copy of the RC and your ID and there is no need for any match between the two.

I bought ICICI fastag for my car in Dec 2020 when the RC was still on the previous owner's name. So , you will have no issue at all.

If you are not going anywhere for sometime, you can get the fastag after the ownership transfer, but I think getting a new RC might take Time .

But, getting a fastag with old RC is no problem at all.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 14:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a Fastag for my used car recently. But I had transferred the registration to my name last year. Just that the prev owner had not taken a fastag, so it was more a case of a fresh issual. They did ask me for copy of the RC - but it looks to be more for checking the category of the vehicle, and partly to verify ownership.

Then again, why would anyone get a tag for another person ? It should be for one's own vehicle.
Old 14th March 2021, 16:07   #10

Owner's name won't be an issue. Last week, I bought a FasTag for my Ciaz which is under my father's name. Just give your phone number and ID proof for issuing.

Anyway, wish me luck as this is my post on the forum.
jr_pwalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 18:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_pwalker View Post
Owner's name won't be an issue. Last week, I bought a FasTag for my Ciaz which is under my father's name. Just give your phone number and ID proof for issuing.

Anyway, wish me luck as this is my post on the forum.
Same case with me. I have a fastag issued for my dad's car, in my name. similarly, my sister who is using my car has gotten a fastag for it in her name, even though the car is in my name.
PS - I just realised we are pretty mixed up...
Old 14th March 2021, 20:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Not to worry. Remove the old tag, enter the RC details, give your current home address and the fastag is delivered. Remember, it works w.r.t to the registration of the vehicle and not the owner of the vehicle.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 15th March 2021, 02:04   #13
BHPian

Use case- I am using a fastag with around 3000 rupees in it. It is not linked to my phone number.
1. Can I change the fastag to my phone?
2. What would happen to the 3000 rupees that is in it?
Old 15th March 2021, 06:50   #14
BHPian

In the context, I want to share my experience. I sold my pre-worshipped Honda CR-V last year which had a Paytm fastag. I didn't have to deactivate or remove it. I just transferred it to the buyer's Paytm number. This was convenient as compared to removing the Karur Vysya Fastag on my Nios to put the Paytm one. Somehow the Karur Vysya one (despite my resistence, the dealership gave me this) wasn't as seamless as the Paytm experience. So I had to remove it, it doesn't peel off easily, I could not get it off completely and then got it removed by a car stickering guy.
Old 15th March 2021, 06:52   #15
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have 3 fastags from Equitas out of which two cars are not in my name. Doesn’t matter as long as you submit the valid RC on the date of request.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks