Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 17:43   #16
BHPian

re: Tata offers Ceramic Coating for the new Safari. EDIT: Now other Tata models too

Why can't brands just add a layer of ceramic coating at the factory? Would it really cost them much to add it to the paint shop?
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 18:02   #17
RMN
BHPian

re: Tata offers Ceramic Coating for the new Safari. EDIT: Now other Tata models too

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Why can't brands just add a layer of ceramic coating at the factory? Would it really cost them much to add it to the paint shop?
It would still cost which means the cost of the car rises up - which is not ideal for mass market products. Additionally, ceramic coating requires proper maintenance as in cleaning properly and also needs an yearly "top up". The masses wouldn't do any of that the manufacturer would receive a lot of complaints.

When sold as an add-on - manufactures gets a better margin and customers can be educated on the pros & cons reducing the headache.
RMN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 18:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Adding some more information, Looks like they have tied up with aftermarket brands.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...services-78848

Quote:
The company has tied up with aftermarket brands of the likes of 3M India, Wurth, Bardhal, SK Car Care and Sikand Stanley BG, to offer ‘Ceramic Coating’ treatments for its passenger vehicle models currently on sale.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 18:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
It would still cost which means the cost of the car rises up - which is not ideal for mass market products. Additionally, ceramic coating requires proper maintenance as in cleaning properly and also needs an yearly "top up". The masses wouldn't do any of that the manufacturer would receive a lot of complaints.

When sold as an add-on - manufactures gets a better margin and customers can be educated on the pros & cons reducing the headache.
I agree but I'd still prefer to have an add on which is done to factory standards rather than dealership.
Old 1st April 2021, 19:26   #20
BHPian

Strict no. Tata ASS has been doing mechanical service for decades and still not mastered it. I don't want to give them a new trade to toy with my car. Not because of skill or lack of it, I can foresee the non existent QC for this job. Fat margins and gullible customers make Tata dealers have a field day with such quick jobs.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 19:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

This is just some additional revenue for the dealer, that is it. From time immemorial its a custom, from TV Remote to Bicycle, add accessories to them because you`ve bought them.

As in why cant this be done at the factory?

Its not easy to set up a polishing line at a factory that takes 4 days and plenty of youtube videos while being at it. Personally I am good with mirror shine and some wax on it, this is good work.

Now this mirror shine needs a coating, a small eraser sized sponge and then an eye dropper, a small bottle thats golden color etc, thats too much to do in a factory production line. Such useless things are best done after market. Agreed Safari has some paint imperfections, but on a daily driver, no need to make a fuss about it.

My BIL asked me if his new Safari needs it and I said No, diesel is better to spend on than this and ordered some Proklear for him.
Old 1st April 2021, 22:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I cannot understand one thing. If this ceramic coating is so great that it protects against UV etc. Etc. And prevents paint fade, why isn't it made standard from the factory? Why not just include it at the paint shop? ?
Exactly what I’ve been thinking. Why is this magic coating sounding like snake oil to me? I’ve yet to see a car, with or without coating, look good after 2 years on Mumbai’s roads. In Europe and USA most cars look great even 5-7 years into their life. And I don’t think they’re using any fancy coating.
MadinMumbai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 23:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
...... It is not an easy or unskilled job that any random guy on the street can do unlike just washing a car.
You underestimate the skill required to wash a car!! On a thread where people who maintain their cars like mirrors will be reading!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
Exactly what I’ve been thinking. Why is this magic coating sounding like snake oil to me? I’ve yet to see a car, with or without coating, look good after 2 years on Mumbai’s roads. In Europe and USA most cars look great even 5-7 years into their life. And I don’t think they’re using any fancy coating.
Ceramic coatings are good. Just not a great idea getting it from the dealer. Pls don't call it snake oil. Many BHPians swear by it.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:26   #24
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadinMumbai View Post
I’ve yet to see a car, with or without coating, look good after 2 years on Mumbai’s roads. In Europe and USA most cars look great even 5-7 years into their life. And I don’t think they’re using any fancy coating.
Quote:
I cannot understand one thing. If this ceramic coating is so great that it protects against UV etc. Etc. And prevents paint fade, why isn't it made standard from the factory? Why not just include it at the paint shop?
Ceramic & Graphine coatings aren't magical products that certain brands or detailers make it out to be for the sake of marketing. It cannot replace a clear coat.

These coatings chemically bond to the top most layer of the clear coat to HELP us protect the clear coat to an extent. It is not a protective layer in anyway. It does not prevent scratches. The primary advantage is that they are hydrophobic which makes it harder for rain water & dirt to stick on to the coat. They beed off very easily which means the risk of water spots are greatly reduced. This doesn't mean it can beed of 100% of the water unlike what some people claim.

These coatings also wear out in 6 to 12 months or so and hence they need to be topped up from time to time. Ideal maintenance practice requires proper washing methods plus either a ceramic finisher to be used or top up the coating.

Simply put, if you are someone who maintains their vehicle properly, these coatings greatly help, if not..its a waste. If one makes their watchman clean the car or takes the car to generic car wash's, these coatings aren't going to do any good.

The product itself isnt really expensive but its the preparation & labor that is expensive. The vehicle needs to be polished & detailed. The coating needs to be applied in a very clean environment else the coating will trap dust particles permanently.
Old 3rd April 2021, 19:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Like Tata Motors, In-house Ceramic Coating is under evaluation for the Skoda cars

Tata offers Ceramic Coating for the new Safari. EDIT: Now other Tata models too-smartselect_20210403194104_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd April 2021 at 19:48.
Old 7th April 2021, 02:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors enters detailing space for own brand cars

Tata Motors have tied up with 3M India, Wurth, Bardhal and Sikand Stanley BG and SK Car Care for providing ceramic coating service in-house at its service centers for own branded cars. Seeing that most of the high end car buyers opt to get the ceramic detailing done to keep their car pristine, they jumped into this space.

Price details are as below :
Name:  Screen Shot 20210406 at 21.56.12.png
Views: 1444
Size:  36.7 KB

According to the news article, prices are higher than the independent 3M centers and also do not come with any warranty. Service will be done by the vendors in a separate bay in the service center and does not come with any warranty. The grade of the coating to be used is not revealed yet.

Source : Firstpost.

Mods , please merge with suitable thread if this feels unnecessary.
Old 7th April 2021, 06:37   #27
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors enters detailing space for own brand cars

Many detailing parlours offering ceramic coating have their presence near most of the upscale localities in Bangalore.

I understand almost all of them would offer a semi-transparent understanding of what they're doing while being fairly clear about the product specifications. They offer warranty so the customer trusts them for the work done.

When those people work with such dedication & promise, Tata expecting a customer to pay for something without specifications and without warranty, goes against the principles that any respectable brand/company would operate under.

I'd hope to not be cancelled by the wrath of some people, as I'm only holding out for a naive consumer who'd trust Tata Motors for what they offer as "Ceramic Coating".

Btw, how is it that the price of ceramic coating for a Nexon same as a Safari ?

IMO they're just targeting people who go all out unquestioningly, while buying. People who don't bother paying, say almost double, for the insurance, while under the impression that "dealer insurance" is superior. etc.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 7th April 2021 at 06:38.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 19:03   #28
BHPian

Re: Tata offers Ceramic Coating for the new Safari. EDIT: Now other Tata models too

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
You underestimate the skill required to wash a car!! On a thread where people who maintain their cars like mirrors will be reading!!
I don't mean detailing a car. A simple wash (which the OP said was outsourced to the dealer (now deleted)) can be conducted by any random joe honestly. Just look around how many shacks you'll find who'd clean the car for you for pocket change money.
Old 7th April 2021, 19:28   #29
BHPian

Earlier, if you had gotten this done from a dealer, then 2 parties would be involved, the dealer himself and the party he outsources the job to and both of them would get paid according to the deal between them.
Now even Tata will get a cut from this. From my source, the commission Tata is charging is between 2000-2500 depending upon vehicle. My friend who works with Tata in this field decided not to offer this service through his channel.
Old 29th April 2021, 12:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata offers Ceramic Coating for the new Safari. EDIT: Now other Tata models too

Quote:
I cannot understand one thing. If this ceramic coating is so great that it protects against UV etc. Etc. And prevents paint fade, why isn't it made standard from the factory? Why not just include it at the paint shop?
That would make the process standardized and prevent variations. It would also bring the cost down since it will be done in large volumes. And since this is claimed to be so hard and all, why not just start spraying it directly over the paint hence removing the need for a clear coat.

Care to shed some light on it somebody?
From what I have heard from the insiders in the automotive sector for the mass market cars, only what is required is provided and the rest as dealership offerings which can be chosen by the customer. Every company offloads the unwarranted/unwanted (according to the manufacturer) costs to maximise profits. They provide something that will just meet the requirements, not necessarily exceed it.

One such example is, Harrier having 120-130 micron thickness for the solid color and 110 to 120 microns for the metallic when launched. Now you can see it averaging around 90 to 95 microns for the metallic and about 100 for the solid color. Now come to think of it for the manufacturer to provide ceramic coating from the factory when they have dropped the average paint thickness is wishful thinking at best.

PS: this is an additional revenue source for the dealer which the manufacturer is approving. I dont believe Tata has any say in whay type of coatings these are apart from the brand used.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks