Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2021, 18:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

God idol falls inside dashboard air vent. Now what?

Prasanta sends this query in via our share page!

Quote:
I have a small query about the AC ducting of Tata Tigor. One of my idols, which was stuck to the dashboard, came off and went through the vent which throws air to the windshield. I have no clue on how to retrieve this. I tried checking this with a torchlight via the front center grill but was not able to see anything. Do I have to visit a service centre or can it be done by myself? If yes, can one please guide me on how to do it? If there is no option, I shall have the car taken to a service center post this lockdown.

I hope I was able to explain the issue.

Thank you for your help and time.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2021 at 09:06. Reason: Removing representative image as we aren't sure of the idol's size or shape
ChiragM is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:03   #2
BANNED

Re: God idol falls inside dashboard air vent. Now what?

That's one surprise of a query:

Either the God idol has to be 1 X 1 cm in size, or the vents shall be broken - both horizontally and vertically.

I am unable to comprehend that which part of the duct is big enough to have a God idol pass through it! The AC vents of Tiago and Tigor don't have the kind of space from where an idol can pass at least! Okay, maybe it got there via the windshield heater/defogger vents. Removing the vents only seems to be the option.

The side AC vents in a majority of the cars can be taken out by prying, only one needs to know the place, central ones are mostly installed with screw supports. So, to get a clean job done without unwanted scratches et' all, service center or a decent accessory shop are the places to be visited.

Last edited by VKumar : 7th June 2021 at 19:06.
VKumar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 19:22   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I was just looking at the ducting layout in a Tigor. No.6 in the image below is the ducting to the windscreen.

AC Ducting layout in the Tigor (image courtesy boodmo.com)
God idol falls inside dashboard air vent. Now what?-acducting_tigor.jpg

In my view, you should just leave it as is, unless the idol is moving around and causing a rattle. Safest thing is NOT to open the flap directing conditioned air to the windscreen. However, if you really must, you can try the following:

Open the flap to direct air towards the windscreen. Opening this flap might allow the idol to drop on the blower. It can cause a racket and if it does, immediately stop the blower. Remove the blower assembly and then remove the idol.

Alternatively, you could plan to bring the idol out if there is an opportunity to service your AC. Anyways evaporator cores in today's cars fail in typically five years, and if this does happen, the ducting can be removed and the idol can be recovered.
vigsom is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 20:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Check with the Service centre if they can help you.

An idol will settle down into the air flow duct. It should not cause problem as long as it is not blocking the main path from the blower.

However, it can jump about and cause an irritating rattle or vibration.

I hope the TASS will not have to open the dashboard, because after the dashboard is opened, often the re-fit will not be perfect and you can end up with new rattles from the dashboard. (Applicable Not only to Tata vehicles)
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 20:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

He was clearly feeling the heat from the windscreen and hence decided to look for a cooler place. I would have let him stay if he is not causing any problem.
BlackPearl is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 21:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Quote:
I have a small query about the AC ducting of Tata Tigor. One of my idols, which was stuck to the dashboard, came off and went through the vent...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Either the God idol has to be 1 X 1 cm in size, or the vents shall be broken - both horizontally and vertically.
I am guessing the idol in the picture by ChiragM is for representational purposes, and the actual idol would be a thin plate that is less than 1 cm thick - something like this...

God idol falls inside dashboard air vent. Now what?-idol.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I was just looking at the ducting layout in a Tigor. No.6 in the image below is the ducting to the windscreen.
In my view, you should just leave it as is, unless the idol is moving around and causing a rattle. Safest thing is NOT to open the flap directing conditioned air to the windscreen.

Anyways evaporator cores in today's cars fail in typically five years, and if this does happen, the ducting can be removed and the idol can be recovered.
Going by the placement of the HVAC components inside the dashboard...

God idol falls inside dashboard air vent. Now what?-tigor-hvac.jpg

...the idol would probably fall on the condenser / cooling coil + cabin heater combo (it seems to be oriented in a horizontal manner (#17 in the diagram above). There is no chance of the idol moving past these two layers of heat exchangers to the flaps or to the blower vanes.

The only two ways I can think of recovering that object would be:
1) As you rightly said, take apart the dashboard to access the cooling coil & cabin heater when they become caked with dust (and cooling reduces substantially) - that would happen after about 5 (or more) years of use; or
2) Catch hold of a laparoscopic surgeon, get him to find and retrieve the idol through the windscreen vent itself, using his laparoscope. Any surgeon here trained in laparoscopy, who'd like to volunteer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
He was clearly feeling the heat from the windscreen and hence decided to look for a cooler place. I would have let him stay if he is not causing any problem.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th June 2021 at 21:52.
SS-Traveller is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 12:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

My only concern would be regarding the make of the idol. Some metals/materials can be harmful if exposed to continuously, especially since it is a car and a very confined environment. Also with air blowing through it all the time it might not be safe (Not sure if the fallen idol is in the pipeline of the other vents). We have metals used in the ducting of our houses/offices/malls etc., but then that is mainly galvanized steel. Anyways do try other options like using a powerful vacuum cleaner. If nothing works visit the service center. This is not the first time this has happened on the forum
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...eld-glass.html (How to access the inside of the Vents below the Front windshield glass?)
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

First of all, the God idol was placed as a matter of faith and which many of us, I think every car owner at least in India would have one.
Since it is not doing what it should do, it is sort of disrespect to a certain extent.
On the other hand, it can cause rattles in the future.
Best option is to take it to ASC and get it removed.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 09:14   #9
BHPian

My father once accidentally dropped a ball pen into one of the ac vents. I guess he was just bored sitting in the front passenger seat commuting 100kms, and was “playing” with the pen and the vent. LOL. Anyways, the pen was stuck just behind the vent but we didn’t dare to retrieve it. It would rattle every time we went on a bad patch of the road. During scheduled service visit, the technician retrieved the pen in 5 minutes.

I would suggest OP to drop by the service center on a free day. Technician maybe able to retrieve it without much damage to the dash.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 09:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

It's very simple when compared to the complex queries that get posted on the forum. Take it to TATA service station and inform the technician. I don't see anything complex here, the technician will remove the idol in 5 mins and maybe won't even charge for it.
Old 10th June 2021, 10:02   #11
BHPian

Deja Vu!!
Same thing happened about 6 years ago with me. The metal idol, 1 cm tall and .25 cm wide fell through the defogger vents of my Polo. Ever since, almighty has found a cosy place there. No rattling or blockage of air passages till date. My service center technician said that it can only be retrieved by removing the dashboard which I was not willing to at that time for a 1 year old car.
I think you should let it be there unless it blocks anything or rattles around.
Wanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 10:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

My wedding ring costing more than 50K ( 10 years back) fell in to the defogger vents of my Polo. I was cleaning the car and had kept the ring on the dashboard. None of the service center folks could provide a solution other than a full dashboard uninstall. I gave up the efforts since, I did not want that to be done in a 1 year old car then. No idea where it is now. May be some service center guys got lucky or it is still stuck somewhere inside.

This issue is more complex than one would think. Some dashboards have inaccessible slots where things will get stuck and only uninstall the entire dashboard can retrieve the lost item.

Last edited by poloman : 10th June 2021 at 10:29.
poloman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:27   #13
BHPian

The driver shall enjoy enjoy blessed air through the vents now.

Jokes aside, I cant help but chuckle at this. Idols on the dashboard are a bad idea anyways. This mishap is at least funny. I remember a case where it had punctured someone's face in an accident. I guess it was on some thread here on Tbhp.

Last edited by Tassem : 10th June 2021 at 13:28.
Tassem is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 16:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
This particular Tigor can now safely say "You are within God. God is within you"
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 19:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Your post reminded me of a very similar incident. When I had my Palio, my daughter, then about 3 years old, put a Re. 1 coin in the AC vent. It rattled a lot for a while, then it stopped rattling. It then used to intermittently rattle and stop after a while.

When the car was due for service, I mentioned that to my service person. He took one look at the car and remarked, "Sir, we will have to dismantle the dashboard and this is a huge process. Do you really want to do all this to get back that Re. 1? Let it go Sir". I didn't know what to say.

Anyway, shortly after that, it stopped rattling.
deepakhon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks