Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your type of modifications?
Functional 209 73.85%
Aesthetic 129 45.58%
Performance 152 53.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 22:52   #1
BHPian

What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance

Most of the Bhpians are car nuts, that's a given. There are some of us who like to modify our cars to our taste or our needs.

One thought which came to my mind is what kind of modification I'd prefer. I prefer a modification which is functional and adds more value to my vehicle. I'm more of a function over form guy and prefer my mods to be maximum like an OEM fitment. This can also have a mix of aesthetic mods but I strongly inclined towards functional modifications or upgrades.

Functional Mods: Gives us more detailed insight about our vehicle and can help in proactive monitoring of our vehicle or enhancing a particular OEM feature. This type of mod can either be OEM or aftermarket. Warranty stays intact in most cases.
Ex: TPMS, GPS trackers, a speedometer from a higher variant of the same vehicle, Headlight upgrades

Aesthetic Mods: This type of mods are more based on sprucing up the looks of the vehicle. Here too, the warranty is not affected.
Ex: Alloy wheels, leather seats, spoilers, Roof Blackening.

Performance Mods: These type of mods take the car's driving characteristics to another level which can be either good or detrimental depending on the type of performance mod and tuning of the ECU.
These can impact engine life as some specs exceed OEM tolerance limits and in most case can void Warranty. These type of mods need to be done if you have sufficient knowledge about the car and the tuner or mechanic is a reliable person.

Which type of a mod you prefer and why?

I posted this over here as I'm curious to know what kind of mods are the most preferred by Bhpians. A vote option can also be enabled to keep things interesting.

Mods, please feel free to post this to a relevant thread if there's a discussion on the same topic.
jithin23 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance

Voted for all three .

My Jeep has been modified on all 3 parameters. Functional mods have included increasing the driver's legroom, removing the rear seat (additional cargo), taller final drive for cruising (on the 2.1L engine) etc. Has got a bigger 2.5L diesel under the hood, compared to the factory 2.1L. They say no two old Jeeps are the same and that's certainly the case with mine. It's one of a kind...worldwide.

The 530d is very sorted, so no functional mods. However, it has had some aesthetic & performance modifications. Black sporty grille, black roof, better rims, switch to tubeless tyres (from RFT), engine remap, gearbox remap etc. The Skoda Superb will also see similar mods as it ages. I like to modify cars as they get older because it keeps them interesting & exciting. Because I keep cars for 10 years or more, it's important that I don't get bored of them. Hence, the need to periodically "spice" them up.

On the other hand, I will never get serious modifications in the after-market like say, turbo-charging an NA motor. The reliability & quality is just not there.

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2021 at 09:26.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance

I prefer a balance, even in the extent of the modifications. I will avoid anything that can be called Overdone. Many of the changes I have done are small, often not visible to the eye. Small things, but which can add to the over all driving experience.

Not voting
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:38   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What kind of a modifications do you prefer? Functional, aesthetic or performance

Nice thread! I would prefer functional and aesthetic modifications. Since-these modifications do not impact the warranty and can be easily un-modified. I try to keep away from any performance mods because you never know how reliable or unreliable they could be.

A few years ago, I preferred resto-mod's but I guess I have matured now and prefer to keep my vehicles stock )
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Very specifically, I’ll spend my money on better/wider tires, a headlight upgrade, an ECU tune for a diesel and perhaps a speaker upgrade. Having the seats bolstered for additional lumbar and shoulder support is much needed on budget cars. Basically the idea is to address the shortcomings of the vehicle while ensuring it’s reliability and its warranty coverage (if possible) remain intact. Not a fan of useless aesthetic mods like skirts, bumper lips and spoilers. I will however be open to the idea of getting a CNG kit installed if possible.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 12th June 2021 at 09:57.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

In my ongoing look for another car, one of the models that was brought to me was a 2011 single owner 30,000 km run RS 5 - the owner was quoting 35 lakhs. The car was not an unknown quantity and the owner is known to maintain his cars in extremely good condition. However as is the case with these cars, they can shock you to kingdom come if something goes wrong.

The owner had done some aesthetic mods - black alloys, big racing stripes, skirts - which to my eyes spoilt the original look. I had requested for the original wheels and wraps be removed and the car brought back to the OE look to which he agreed.

So on the subject of this thread I do not like doing any modifications internally or externally and like to keep my cars stock. I might agree to minor aesthetic ones but that’s about it.

It may be good to have another row on the poll - “None” - for those who like to keep their cars stock.

Last edited by AMG Power : 12th June 2021 at 10:06.
AMG Power is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:09   #7
BHPian

Voted functional and aesthetic.

I like functional mods like headlight upgrade, ICE upgrade (counts as functional, I believe), etc. Also some aesthetic upgrades to the interior like leather seats, steering cover, or even exterior to some extent (read alloy wheels). But performance? No, I like my car stock. That's my present mindset, but who knows what will seduce my mind in the future.
YD14 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
I prefer a modification which is functional and adds more value to my vehicle; prefer my mods to be maximum like an OEM fitment
I'm all for mods that

1. enhance occupants' comfort, like bolstered seats, reducing NVH, a great audio set up to make travel enjoyable

2. enhance safety like better tyres, hydrophobic coating on the windscreen and all round glass, added reflectors on the bumpers, and a warning triangle installed on the inside of the boot for added visibility to vehicles in the night in the event of a flat tyre on a highway

3. don't negatively impact the reliability of the car eg. any mod that, say, interferes with a control unit or say causes a parasitic draw is a strict No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
better/wider tires, a headlight upgrade, and perhaps a speaker upgrade. Having the seats bolstered for additional lumbar and shoulder support ; address the shortcomings of the vehicle while ensuring it’s reliability remais intact
absolutely in line with all these points

Last edited by vigsom : 12th June 2021 at 10:19.
vigsom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 10:21   #9
BHPian

Voted for functional mods. I have done headlamp bulb upgrades, front parking sensors to my Altroz. The only other fitment to be done is a dashcam. When I need to replace my tyres, I would upside to 195/60R16(currently at 185/60R16). As of now, I am not sure I would need anything else.

Looks are not important to me, so I wouldn't do any kind of aesthetic mods. I would happily own a kuv100 if it met my requirements and needs, despite being an ugly duck.

I believe manufacturers strike a right balance between performance and fuel efficiency(at least in most cases). Also, the other components such as gear box, steering would be chosen with respect to the manufacturer's performance tuning(5 speed gearbox for FGT 1.5L Diesel in altroz vs 6 speed gearbox for VGT 1.5L Diesel in Nexon). Any after market performance mod is generally not as reliable as the factory tuning. So, no performance mods for me.
Old 12th June 2021, 16:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting thread! I had never consciously thought about the types of modifications. But now with this question I quickly looked at my past choices.

Turns out that all the modifications I have done belong in the functional and aesthetics category. From time to time I thought about performance mods on my cars, but somehow never actually did those. It was either the fear of voiding the warranty, or the fear of facing any issues and problems later, or something else, but somehow all my cars were stock as far as the performance and mechanicals are considered.

My Maruti SX4 has a few functional mods. I changed the stock headunit to an Android headunit, and along with that, upgraded the speakers too. Even before that, I had installed some bluetooth connectivity system which the stock HU missed. It also has TPMS, dashcam etc as minor additions. Then, I upgraded the headlamps to Philips Rally 100/90W bulbs with the wiring harness. And finally, I also installed Hella DRLs on that car. All these can be called functional mods, I guess.

My BMW 320d is almost 100% stock, and I love it that way. The only changes are mere accessories such as the BMW Dashcam (installed by the dealer), BMW's own USB charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket etc. Someday in future, as this car ages, I might get engine remap (this engine is quite remap friendly) etc, but at least in the near future, the car will remain stock.
Dr.AD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 17:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

In general I would like to buy the appropriate vehicle for the job and leave it as is , spend the money on fuel and maintenance instead. It's just wasteful to buy a vehicle and then mess with its engine, exhaust, intake, suspension, brakes - that is my thought on that, from a daily driver perspective.

But as is with Jeeps , I'm not going to leave it stock, there is some customisation needed to get rid of CMVR spec stuff from it for better looks ofcourse and perhaps some lighter alloy wheels, driving lights etc. I would like the tires to be visible and not completely covered by the bumper.

I do not like to modify the mechanical bits for the sake of reliability and performance on daily drive vehicles, they have to do their job first before looking good, I also do not like to add more weight, heavier bumpers , subwoofers, roof carriers etc are something I would like to avoid.
Old 12th June 2021, 20:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Voted for all three

But what holds me back is mainly the monetary aspect of losing warranty on a new car and also road rules from the MVD. If money is not a concern it would be nice to work on all aspects of a car.

Functional Mods would include light upgrades, better music system, dash cams, sound insulations etc.
Aesthetic Mods would include a custom paint job with subtle graphics, some subtle stickers, spoilers and gorgeous alloy wheels.
Performance Mods would include a tyre upgrade, suspension, engine remapping, exhaust and air intake systems.

If one has the money and multiple cars in the garage, it would be a joy to work extensively on a project car. This can also be a track only car and not intended for road usage. For my everyday usage on road car, I would mainly prefer stock.
Old 12th June 2021, 21:46   #13
BANNED

Voted for all 3 options. All the MODS that I have done so far and that are in pipeline are done in such a way that I can revert to stock if required. Also, all the modifications done were to address the shortcomings of the car which I felt the need to be done whatever anyone says about it. Here's a list of the modifications done on my Creta so far:
  1. Auto-dimming IRVM
  2. Noodle Mats (Local ones)
  3. Gas Struts for Hood
  4. ORVM Auto Folding relay
  5. LED Rear Reflector ('Lambo style')
  6. Conversion of the Central cabin lamp and the two reading lamps to LED
  7. Conversion of the Boot lamp to LED
  8. Conversion of the High Mount Stop Light to LED
  9. Conversion of the Tail & Stoplight to LED
  10. Conversion of the Registration plate light to LED
  11. Conversion of the Reverse to LED
  12. Speedex Font Style number plate
  13. SensAiry TPMS
  14. Brembo Rotor and Pads change
  15. Engine Hood Insulation
  16. EGR delete
  17. Rear Spoiler - Now painted to gloss black
  18. LED Footwell Lighting
  19. Puddle Lamps
  20. Sport type Pedals
  21. LED strip added to the Boot
  22. Carbon Fibre vinyl wrap for the chrome strip above the number plate
  23. Glove box felt-lining
  24. Glove box illumination
  25. Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 Stage III Projector Retrofit
  26. Dual brake MOD (Nothing significant - Just aesthetic)
  27. All four indicators changed to LED
  28. De-badging
  29. Regulator valve delete - better clutch pedal feel

Some modifications I have removed from the list as I have undone them like remap - it has been 30K kms and the itch to get it done again is raising. Need to contact Wolf Moto so that they can work on my car when it is possible.

Last edited by a4anurag : 12th June 2021 at 21:47.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 22:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Voted for "Performance".
Simply because that is the most value-adding type of modification in my perspective. The joy of driving a car simply gets multiplied with some performance enhancements under the hood. Fortunately, Indian RTO doesn't care if you have some performance modifications, as long as you don't make it evident in the external looks of the car. I love the idea of owning a proper sleeper car, even though I don't have one yet.

Aesthetic modifications are my least preferred option out of the three - I definitely don't want to be seen as a ricer.

Functional mods may be desirable only if the car is glaringly missing some features that can be retrofitted.

These are the ones I have done my car so far:

Performance:
- ECU remap
- EGR soft-delete

Functional:
- Hotwired dashcam
- Brighter LED headlamps

Last edited by clevermax : 12th June 2021 at 22:07.
Old 13th June 2021, 08:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Functional mods only.

These include - headlight upgrades, seat cover changes, audio head unit upgrades, etc.
And these mods were done at certain strategic intervals, coinciding with certain milestones/anniversaries or when the OEM kit started losing out its advantages.

Am not in for playing around with the sensors or the mechanicals, the lot.
Example, my TDi DSG Vento allows for some remap scope to bump up the power tunes, but I have stayed away from it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks