Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2021, 11:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Number plate frames | Any use?

Number Plate Frames are used because of the following advantages:

1. Avoid need for screws in between Alphabets/Numbers on the plate.
The screw locations on the car body/bumper will always be in the center of the plate. At times this will come on top of the number, spoiling the plate or ruining the aesthetics. I owned a car with number 4001 and when the number plate was fabricated, the screw on the front bumper aligned exactly with the last number which would have spoiled the aesthetics and resulted in reduced legibility. Eventually we ended up mounting the number plate with a slight offset to avoid the screw coming on the number.
With number plate frames, there will be no need for a screw to hold the number plate on the car body. The frame will be mounted on the car and the frame will ensure the plate stays on firmly.

2. Reduce vibrations of the plate if the car has a bass heavy sound system.
If you have a Subwoofer in the car, the number plate, especially the number plate mounted on the hatch door will resonate and make noise with music and this is annoying. The use of a number plate frame will prevent this.

3. It will give a small amount of protection for the number plate from small dents in the event of a contact.

As for the MVD mandated Safety Rivet, you can Rivet the plate on the top or bottom corners to comply with the norm without spoiling the aesthetics of the plate.

I hope this answers your questions.
sharanvenu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 08:25   #17
BHPian

I used got it installed last weekend, paid 400rs for a pair. Dealer is overcharging your for sure as he knows you can’t put these once the HSRP plates are installed.
Old 10th July 2021, 09:11   #18
BHPian

I personally have found them to be quite useful in my years of usage. Driving in Mumbai it is oftentimes the case that you slightly touch the car/bike ahead of you and vice/versa. The plates protect the number plates from getting scratches/dents if there is a very minimal impact like touching/rubbing against another vehicle.

Apart from that, I have found number plates with frames to be slightly more aesthetically pleasing IMHO and they also act as a reinforcement from your plates falling in case any of the screws give way.

I too own a Vento in Carbon Steel Grey colour and so far the car looks great with plates and frames that are over 4 years old now. The price quoted however is too high. Go in for a local shop, they will give a much better rate.
Old 10th July 2021, 09:48   #19
BHPian

Charges for number plate frame? That’s unheard of. Aditi TVS Noida affixed them on my scooter for free without me even asking them for it. I wanted to install them on my car though but Novelty Hyundai Amritsar did not have them is stock, so installed plates without them and affixed double sided tapes to avoid vibration and noise.

That being said, number plate frame is recommended for the obvious advantages of protection(especially for front number plate) and reducing vibrations.
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 13:29   #20
HKP
BHPian

As a lot of people have suggested, its a good to have accessory and provides better aesthetics and protection to the number plate.Most of us pay around Rs.500 for it. Suggest you take the HSRP plate from SA and if he doesn't budge on the price - go to any roadside number plate guys and get it fixed with a frame, you can get the same from Amazon too.

Secondly, I suggest you have a long conversation with him and his boss on how unhappy you are about this incident and them trying to fleece an 'unsuspecting' customer and your reservations about engaging them for future services. Do drop in the word 'Team-BHP' in those conversations. Have fun :-)

\\hkp
Old 10th July 2021, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirang View Post
I think I will skip the frames altogether. I did not like the looks of it when the SA showed me a couple of cars fitted with those.
I would recommend that you get them installed unless you do not like their looks.

I bought a pair for Rs500 from the market as Maruti Genuine ones were not available. They are actually useful to some extent.

1. Looks: Subjective. They give a good solid feel to the HSRP’s edges.

2. The biggest advantage: the HSRPs dont bend that much compared to ones without the frames.

3. Rattles while closing the boot are eliminated/curtailed in cars where number plates are mounted on the tail gate rather than the bumper.

——————

Someone posted that using frames, we can avoid riveting the HSRPs. That is illegal and also these frames are not that strong. A bit of pressure will surely break them. e.g. While passing from a puddle of water during heavy rains, it should be easy for the water to rip off the frame causing the HSRP to fall off.
Old 10th July 2021, 16:41   #22
BHPian

HSRP plates are made from aluminum. Earlier plates were made of GI steel or fibre (aftermarket). HSRP plates break very easily. The frames protect them from breaking off. However low quality plastic frames which break easier than aluminum will negate the purpose. I broke two plates on my two wheeler before going for good quality frames.
Aesthetics is an added advantage if you like it.
Additionally better to take the rivet through the plate and base frame and then just put the top frame on. That way both the frame and the plate stays on the body, if in case the top frame falls off.
Old 10th July 2021, 17:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Solely depends upon personal preferences, if at all one wants to go for it. The cost though asked for by the dealer is on the higher side, just like any other accessory we buy from the ASC's. Not sure why such a practice is adapted by almost all ASC's since many decades for any and every accesssory ?

And as the HSRP are made of aluminium, these are less affected by moisture and water. But what about moisture and water seeping into the few microns to could be a mm gap, between the metal number plates and the number plate frame ? Rust in peace ?
Old 10th July 2021, 18:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Paid 1100 for HSRP + frames (pair) in 2016. Paid 1400 for same last month. This was in Pune. Not cheap but I like the fact we don't have to drill holes in the plate.
Old 10th July 2021, 18:23   #25
BHPian

Drilling down on the question reminded me of the 'gut feeling' induced when flipping a coin in the air to arrive at a decision. If you're happy whether it falls on heads (or tails if chosen) then you know thats what you wanted in the first place. Conversely, if the side it falls on makes you unhappy, then do the opposite. That said;

As Paddleshifter points out the subjective nature of aesthetics, I'll refer to my previous post on this forum:

https://bit.ly/3wxevOU

Price on the other hand, when relative to quality can provide peace of mind. As a Team BHPian possessing a degree of passion for your motor, I'd hazard to guess that the feeling of being overcharged is the main concern here. If at half price you needed to change the frame on breakage, cost of replacement number plate outweighs the maths. If the dealer recommended frame is truly superior quality, see if they're prepared to stake their reputation behind guarantying replacement of frame and number plate if consequently lost. Price negotiation is a separate matter...on this occasion you're focusing on peace of mind as well as face value, particularly if you do indeed mention T-BHP

My motivation initially, was knowing I'd need to change my number plates twice; once from Indian to UK upon registration. Secondly on transferring to private number plates. But I procrastinated...and purchased the frames after securing private number plates onto my Ford Endeavour. The existing holes looked unsightly as expected so ordered yet another set of plates which were simple to replace due to the snap-on frame cover. I think the 'FORD PERFORMANCE' tagline in red makes a difference, to me, along with the cute little tire valve caps which, along with aesthetic value...is functional too as it's supplied with tiny hexagon keys to discourage unwanted removal.
Old 10th July 2021, 20:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirang View Post
Hi,

I got my car delivered last Thursday and tomorrow the SA is coming to fix the number plates (HSRP). He has proposed going for the black frames for the number plates at a cost of 1,700/-.

The price definitely seems to be on the higher side. Online prices and few other TBHP posts indicate not more than 800-900/- (for a pair).
I purchased mine from Amazon for Rs 189 (set of 2 for front and back) for my new car, took it with me during delivery and asked the sales guy to use these while installing the HSRP - You should also do something similar if you want, never buy any such accessories from the dealer.

I have used these frames on a couple of my cars and these do help in preventing scratching as well as bending on the original number plate. A plate without frame has a higher probability of getting stuck somewhere and bending. Plus it looks pretty clean at a negligible cost. So I would advice going for it.
Old 10th July 2021, 22:37   #27
BHPian

Looks nice / different + more practical usage is slightly reduced metal clang or clatter...but the price you quoted is super high, for a new Hyundai car it was around 350.
Old 11th July 2021, 00:54   #28
BHPian

How secure is a plate within those frames?
Can't it just open up some day due to repeated vibrations?

Another thing that bothers me is that anyone can just pluck the plates off without much effort. Just pull on the frames and it's yours for the taking. Knowing the noble souls that we have around us, I would feel very vulnerable with frames.

This has stopped me from using these on my car.
They look quite swish though.
Old 11th July 2021, 06:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
How secure is a plate within those frames?
Can't it just open up some day due to repeated vibrations?

Another thing that bothers me is that anyone can just pluck the plates off without much effort. Just pull on the frames and it's yours for the taking. Knowing the noble souls that we have around us, I would feel very vulnerable with frames.

This has stopped me from using these on my car.
They look quite swish though.
At least on my new vehicle the plates are screwed to the body / bumper, and the frame is an added accesory around the plates... the frames does seem to have some bit of suction pads, but secured by the screws on the plate. With the soft plastic the hope is no metal touches body / bumper and thereby eliminating metal noise / clatter (so we hope)
Old 11th July 2021, 13:37   #30
BHPian

I have the same car and colour. I was also asked to put on the frame. Actually they do serve a purpose which are:

1. The frame makes sure the metal number plate is not scratching the paint. Those plates have enough play and they tend to scratch when vibrating

2. Also with the frame you don’t really have to punch holes in the plate itself.

I did buy those frames and I paid 900 bucks (at the dealership). They definitely look good in my personal opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks