Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 17:05   #1
BHPian

Number plate frames | Any use?

Hi,

I got my car delivered last Thursday and tomorrow the SA is coming to fix the number plates (HSRP). He has proposed going for the black frames for the number plates at a cost of 1,700/-.

The price definitely seems to be on the higher side. Online prices and few other TBHP posts indicate not more than 800-900/- (for a pair).

However, I am not sure what purpose do these frames serve? Is there any actual use or is it just an aesthetic thing?

My car is Skoda Rapid Carbon Steel (a.k.a dark grey types)
srirang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 19:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Number plate frames | Any use?

That is definitely high. I did not opt for it. It is just for better optics (or horrible optics). Has higher chances of bending and catching dust and cloth particles when being cleaned. The quality of these plates in TS is horrible. I have seen paint getting faded after 2 years of usage. I wouldn't take those even if it was for my Merc (don't own one though!)
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:21   #3
BHPian

The cost is definitely high. Here in Gujarat the HSRP plates are compulsory, and I went in for the frames purely from the aesthetic point of view. Paid Rs.700/- each for both my cars, and both have held up well. It prevents the plates from bending and will make the plates last longer (until they fade though).

Get them from outside and keep them handy when the SA comes to fix the plates. No point paying 1700 for them.
hridaygandhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:23   #4
BHPian

Hi, I paid 500 for my Vespa 10-11 months ago. I've seen Vespas in my area without it and their number plate is curved and dented but mine is in a better condition(no curving).
mr_robot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirang View Post
Hi,

I got my car delivered last Thursday and tomorrow the SA is coming to fix the number plates (HSRP). He has proposed going for the black frames for the number plates at a cost of 1,700/-.

The price definitely seems to be on the higher side. Online prices and few other TBHP posts indicate not more than 800-900/- (for a pair).

However, I am not sure what purpose do these frames serve? Is there any actual use or is it just an aesthetic thing?

My car is Skoda Rapid Carbon Steel (a.k.a dark grey types)
Wow!! That is steep!!
I don't have the frame on my car, but had it on my two wheeler.
2 wheeler frames were selling on Amazon for like 200-300 Rs.

I would suggest checking Amazon. In my search I found, at least for 2 wheelers, that most of these frames are same or very similar and each brand/seller just charges what they want. Nicer pictures on Amazon, higher price although the product is same.

Uses:
Only 2 come to my mind:
1) Aesthetics
2) Can prevent some scratches and minor dings on the sides of the plate. This more of a 2 wheeler advantage though.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:04   #6
BHPian

You can get a set of the front and back number plate frame from any maruti dealer for 500INR. On general car accessories shops, it may be even cheaper.
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
He has proposed going for the black frames for the number plates at a cost of 1,700/-.

As far as price goes, it is usually about 500 and this was from the installer itself. So you might get it cheaper at shops.

Regarding use, I don't think it is useful at all. I don't think there's any use for it. As we know about government policies and rules, there could be a possibility where they might start fining these frames.

Just get some double sided tape, stick it at the back of plates and get them affixed with rivets. No screeching, no vibrations.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You don't have to drill your plates, it will look and stay clean without a projecting screw head in between.
Mr.Boss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
You don't have to drill your plates, it will look and stay clean without a projecting screw head in between.
Is it legal to not get them riveted? If not, then there's a sure shot chance to get fined for this, and easier to lose them. Also, doesn't it just negate the purpose of HSRPs?
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 23:08   #10
BHPian

It's somehow useful for two-wheelers where plates don't have any solid support at the back thus small impact can bend the plates but in case of cars, plates are supported by the bumpers, so they have less chances of getting bent.
100Rabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 23:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Is it legal to not get them riveted? If not, then there's a sure shot chance to get fined for this, and easier to lose them. Also, doesn't it just negate the purpose of HSRPs?
True, on paper it is not legal.
But legality is just another joke in a country like ours.

PS: There are chances to lose riveted HSPR plates if the drill size or the pop rivet dimension or the riveting process is not as per the spec. I have witnessed several such cases.
Old 9th July 2021, 07:13   #12
BHPian

Thanks for chiming in people. As usual, the community here helps clear up questions / doubts.

I think I will skip the frames altogether. I did not like the looks of it when the SA showed me a couple of cars fitted with those.
Old 9th July 2021, 08:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

I bought a set of two frames (front & rear) for Rs.200.

Reasons to get it:

1. It looks good (to me).
2. It protects HSRPs for small impacts and HSRPs don't bend.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 08:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Number plate frames | Any use?

I think plates with frames look pretty cool. You can also keep a spare set of differently fonted number plates to give the car different look once in a while. Changing them is easy with frames.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 10:53   #15
MSC
BHPian

Re: Number plate frames | Any use?

The black number plate is solely for asthetic purpose and serves as a minor deterrent against minor shunts only where it will prevent any bending or scarring of the original HSRP.
In case of heavy shunts from front or rear, the frame or rather anything is not going to help you.
At 1700, the person is ripping you off like anything.
Hyundai is usually famous for charging exorbitantly for accessories, however the Hyundai mobis frame plate which is included in genuine Hyundai accessories is sold at 349 Rs.
Even the genuine MGA, listed in the Nexa official accessories is also mentioned at website for 499 Rs.
If you insist on genuineness, it won't cost more than 500 Rs.
And in case you opt for a non genuine one sold online or at local retailers, it won't cost more than 250 off bucks.

Number plate frames | Any use?-screenshot_20210709104556__01.jpg

Number plate frames | Any use?-screenshot_20210709104253__01.jpg
MSC is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks