Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 22:34   #1
BHPian

Projector Headlamps for my i10

Hello
My i10 is 8+ years old with 52k+ kms on the odo. However, it is experiencing a mid life crisis where everything begins to fall apart (literally here).

While I'm caught between letting it go and getting a Nexon, future plans currently dictate that I stick with my i10 for atleast a year or two.

I've upgraded the stock 155/80/13 tyres to 175/75/13 profile tyres which have stopped the boat like characteristics somewhat. My next concern is my headlamp setup.

I'm currently using 130/100 W Philip bulbs with relay protection. I have to drive on highways now ever so often and the excess heat generated by the bulbs is messing with the relay, and may lead to nightmarish situations since I travel at night many times.

I'm considering getting a projector headlamp setup with stock 55W yellow bulbs. I've had a wonderful experience with the projectors on my Pulsar 220 and would love to have a similar experience with my i10 (blinding foolish people on the roads is a plus point )

Any feedback/experiences/references/Amazon links will be appreciated

Last edited by jasjotbains : 18th September 2021 at 22:36.
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 22:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Projector Headlamps for my i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
My next concern is my headlamp setup.

I'm currently using 130/100 W Philip bulbs with relay protection. I have to drive on highways now ever so often and the excess heat generated by the bulbs is messing with the relay, and may lead to nightmarish situations since I travel at night many times.
130W is too much for a stock non metallic reflector. 100/90W is safe limit IMO (though several precautions will be required)
Relay failure should not be because of the excess heat from bulb. Either the wiring or the relay is faulty.

Quote:
I'm considering getting a projector headlamp setup with stock 55W yellow bulbs.
See if you can live with Bi-xenon projector fog lamps, which are easy to install, cost effective and gives better performance.
If not, look for retro-fit options

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...aze-india.html (iPHCAR Bi-Xenon Projector Foglamp upgrade (Blaze India))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-ecosport.html (DIY: HID Bi-Xenon projector foglamps in our EcoSport)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...-my-swift.html (DIY Install: 3" XP Micro Bi-Xenon Foglight Projectors on my Swift)

Quote:
blinding foolish people on the roads is a plus point )
Sorry to say, arguing / messing with a fool proves there are two.

Name:  download.png
Views: 5731
Size:  25.8 KB

What if he bangs your or other vehicles or pedestrian on the road because of your blinding beam?

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 18th September 2021 at 22:54.
Mr.Boss is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 23:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
130W is too much for a stock non metallic reflector. 100/90W is safe limit IMO (though several precautions will be required)

See if you can live with Bi-xenon projector fog lamps, which are easy to install, cost effective and gives better performance.
If not, look for retro-fit options
Many thanks. The light throw of these bixenon fog lamps is probably more than the throw of OEM headlamps of many cars! Will search Blaze India website for bi xenons for my i10.
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 08:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

First of all please revert back to the stock tyre size since those wider tyres are definitely sapping performance and economy from your car. Secondly, I am in the same situation with an old WagonR of mine and tons of research on the forum and outside has lead me to understand that 3" iPH projectors with 55W HIDs are the best solution at under 10k they make for quite good value too.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 08:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
First of all please revert back to the stock tyre size since those wider tyres are definitely sapping performance and economy from your car.
The stock tyres give pathetic performance these ones sap some performance but have better road manners
jasjotbains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:36   #6
BHPian

Best option is to retrofit Bi-Xenon HID projectors in existing headlamp. Fog projectors wont fit in the i10 as it does not have a straight 3 inch fog lamp hole. It will cost you around 13-15k. Get AES/Hella G5-R bi xenon projectors with 4300k HID bulbs.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Best option is to retrofit Bi-Xenon HID projectors in existing headlamp. Fog projectors wont fit in the i10 as it does not have a straight 3 inch fog lamp hole. It will cost you around 13-15k. Get AES/Hella G5-R bi xenon projectors with 4300k HID bulbs.
Amen to that. i tried multiple installers to fix the fog projectors in xcent and failed miserably. Then went with headlight projectors and put led in fog to colour match.
Old 20th September 2021, 11:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Amen to that. i tried multiple installers to fix the fog projectors in xcent and failed miserably. Then went with headlight projectors and put led in fog to colour match.
I had done the same. But now I've DIY installed led projectors in foglamp in my i10 grand
Old 20th September 2021, 11:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I had done the same. But now I've DIY installed led projectors in foglamp in my i10 grand
Wow. can you post of a picture of the same?
Old 20th September 2021, 14:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I'm currently using 130/100 W Philip bulbs with relay protection.

I'm considering getting a projector headlamp setup with stock 55W yellow bulbs. I've had a wonderful experience with the projectors on my Pulsar 220 and would love to have a similar experience with my i10
130/100W is too large a load and that is why you have overheating issues. You should reduce to 100/90W.

Also, projector headlamps with stock 55W halogen bulbs are useless. I had these as stock in my Verna and are as good as driving blind. I have upgraded the bulbs to HIDs which has provided a slight respite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
130W is too much for a stock non metallic reflector. 100/90W is safe limit IMO

I agree with this suggestion to change the fog lamps rather than change the primary headlights.
BeantownThinker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 20:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Wow. can you post of a picture of the same?
Here's my DIY setup. iLens 2.0 bi-led in headlamp and iph m617 bi-led on the fogs. The iph ones are quite average performing but I had chosen them only for being LED.
Attached Thumbnails
Projector Headlamps for my i10-20210920_181621.jpg  

Mr. Nobody is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Here's my DIY setup. iLens 2.0 bi-led in headlamp and iph m617 bi-led on the fogs. The iph ones are quite average performing but I had chosen them only for being LED.
Looks Nice. no issue with focus? in Chennai these guys were unable to focus this at all and gave up finally..
Old 20th September 2021, 21:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The stock tyres give pathetic performance these ones sap some performance but have better road manners
What performance do you expect from the tiny i10? The engines are about as powerful as the starter motors of some cars. (Just kidding).
If you want performance, get a another car with a bigger engine.

Just increasing the width of the tyres will steal a few horsepower from the tiny engine. I need not say talk about the extra fuel consumption due to the extra friction.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 21:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
What performance do you expect from the tiny i10? The engines are about as powerful as the starter motors of some cars. (Just kidding).
If you want performance, get a another car with a bigger engine.

Just increasing the width of the tyres will steal a few horsepower from the tiny engine. I need not say talk about the extra fuel consumption due to the extra friction.
With performance, I meant road manners. The stock tyres, at slightly high speed, mad ethe car feel like a boat. That's one place where you can't afford to lose confidence

However the impact on fuel economy has been minimum. I remember still getting 17kmpl on Harur-Salem-Tirupur runs when I was in TN. I used to clock around 90kmph with AC on 100% of the time. I don't go faster than this. On the older tyres, the best I've got is 20kmpl on my first ever Chandigarh-Gurgaon run where I was racing against Audi's and Beemers but that was December and no AC.

I agree the engine is puny but it's sufficient to make this car nimble. I plan to get K&N filters if I can find a good tuner, because the low end can use some boost.

The real scary part is the same 1.2L engine does duty on the i20 and Venue (NA models) !
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 23:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With performance, I meant road manners. The stock tyres, at slightly high speed, mad ethe car feel like a boat. That's one place where you can't afford to lose confidence
Perhaps a better tyre would suffice rather than a wider one. In my experience 155 width tyres are the sweet spot for sub 100 bhp hatchbacks running 13 inch rims, 195 width for 100-150 bhp running on 15-16inch rims and 205-225 width tyres for 150-250 bhp cars running on 17-18inch rims. Which tyres were you running on the stock 155 width setup? Were they the stock tyres? In which case just using michelin energy xm2+s of the same size ought to be enough.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 20th September 2021 at 23:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks