Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 15:25   #1
BHPian

6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!

My Grand i10 turned 6 last year and wanted to share & document my experience in updating it to my liking. I will keep things crisp and to the point to focus on the modifications and accessories which have made the car more functional and enjoyable. Rather than adding things which are only for aesthetics I prefer functional changes.

My ownership experience has been good and the car has been fairly reliable. I have driven 50k Kms in these 6 years.

Positives i experienced about the car:
1. Comfortable low-speed ride.
2. Good low end torque for city use with good engine refinement.
3. No rattles yet even with dash opened many times.
4. Good after sale service of Hyundai.

Negatives:
1. Mileage could have been better.
2. The braking feedback is quite narrow. ie. there is not much travel between harder braking and gentle braking. Most new drivers of my car find the braking way too sensitive.
3. The lack of ABS and airbags also reminds me to drive within limits.
4. The reverse gear does not slot in always which is kind of annoying.

The first 2 years of ownership were fairly simple and since i was a new driver i too was learning about being a better driver and the front bumper has seen its share of paint jobs that were thankfully covered due to zero dep insurance. Then the itch to change things a bit started and so i started adding stuff to make the ownership experience better. I believe more in functional mods over visual ones and most of them are for some purpose/function generally. Some of the modifications/accessories i have added are as below:
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20200929_094933.jpg

Audio Upgrade 1:
I chose a touchscreen pioneer AVH 279BT HU for the superior audio quality as back in 2015 the android ones were too pricey and laggy. I paired JBL components for front and coax speakers for the rear. This was a good combination and better than most factory audio setups of even cars costing 2-3 times. Cost 20k.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20220130_191645.jpg
Audio Upgrade 2:
The itch for better bass got to me one day and i got a Pioneer underseat sub-woofer TS-WX400DA installed under the co-passenger seat from a Delhi dealer. This has great bass to fill the bass gap and makes music truly felt inside. It's not window-shaking bass like those 1000w mono powered subs but good enough for my use plus no loss of space in boot. It also comes with a remote to control some settings. I have also got all the 4 doors damped which made the cabin much quieter and truly enhances the audio setup of any car. Using a touchscreen while on the move is kinda distracting and i later got stereo-mounted controls added as well to control the HU. This comes as a panel that replaces the current panel. Wiring was directly taken from the stereo control adaptor below steering to the HU. Cost 13k (Sub)+6k(Damping) + 3.5k (Steering panel).
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-gridart_20220130_184331453.jpg
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20210817_182212.jpg
Interiors:
All cabin and boot lights were replaced with LED ones.
I am prone to sweating quickly in summers and so wanted fabric ones over the leatherette ones. Got these made from a shop in karol bagh. Also got a matching steering cover installed which makes the tactile feel of holding the steering wheel so much better. The one issue is that the lighter portion gets dirty much quicker than the leather ones and needs cleaning when dirty using detailing products. After using those suction ones for phone mounting that fall off soon within months i got this magnetic mount for my phone. It comes with a metal plate that you can stick on your phone cover. The advantage is you can quickly mount and unmount on the go without fiddling with clips and holders. It's strong enough that the phone has never fallen even on bumps etc. Cost: 5.3k (Seat covers) +1.1k (Steering cover) + 300.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-gridart_20220130_194053560.jpg
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-collagemaker_20211008_163008874.jpg
Led in the boot making things easier to see at night.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20220130_191607.jpg

Exterior:
The sun in Delhi NCR is truly harsh and hence i got Lumax UV canceling sunfilms installed on all 4 windows and the hatch door. One does not feel that pinching pain that i used to get earlier when driving in the sun. It also makes the cabin a little cooler as well. Since its not dark its not really noticeable and no cop has luckily ever noticed it during stops and checks. Cost: 6k. As can be seen below its barely noticeable.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20210716_120024.jpg

Anti rust coating has been applied on the underbody. Added benefit of this is the cabin also gets quieter with the road noise from the underbody and wheel wells reduced due to the rubber like coating that absorbs sound waves. This is worth it as one also gets a booster dose of sorts in the next year if it has come off from any area. The undercarriage needs to be well cleaned using a degreaser and pressure wash for the best application. Else one will just drap dirt inside the coating and metal body and make the coating pointless. Cost: 2k.

Useful gadgets:
Hydraulic jack: It makes lifting the car very easy and quick. Quite useful when you are out and about and suddenly see a puncture.
Puncture kits: With punctures costing 50-100 each at shops, i have already redeemed its price by fixing 4 punctures myself and then filling air at the pumps. Cost: 1.1k + 250.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20220116_125303_copy_1920x1440.jpg

Dashcam: I was once driving and on an intersection a lady on a scooty ran a red light and nearly crashed into me. She barely hit the bumper but fell down. When i was reprimanding her for dangerous driving suddenly she started crying and even the traffic cops started taking her side. That day itself i knew i need a dashcam to insure myself from such people. I did not want to go for a battery based one fearing a fire with the 45 degree NCR summers. Got a capacitor based model from (Blueseasky b1w) that does not have a screen and hence is safe & very discreet. It's hardwired to auto start on car turning On and one can use its app to transfer video to a phone although its slow so better to use a OTG card reader. I've used it for 3 years now and its worked well till now. It has recently saved me from a Delhi traffic cop who mistakenly flagged me down last week. Definitely recommend a dashcam for all car users in India. The first memory card from Sandisk lasted me like 1-1.5 years and then bought a samsung card that is running well since past 1.5 years Cost: 4k+ memory card.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-gridart_20220130_163315846.jpg

Car Lighting:
Although the standard halogen lighting is okay i wanted white lighting and also increased output. I have put Bi-Led projector lens on the main headlamps and Iph M617 bi Led inside the fog lamp assembly. Both installed via DIY mode. The lighting is excellent and makes night driving a breeze plus the ultra fast flash makes sure hi-beamers get the message to lower theirs on undivided roads. I chose Led over HID as i wanted to retain ability to flash plus no hassle of extra relay wiring or extra load on battery. The main headlamps have been used since 3+ years now and no issues thankfully. However if something goes bad i will need to change the entire projector as there is no bulb that is replaced unlike the Hid projectors that have replaceable bulbs, ballasts, projector. Here's a short video of it from my phone. Cost: 15k + 6.5k.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20210921_195249.jpg
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20210920_181621.jpg

Car handling:
The 165 section tires are quite thin and on highway runs always felt the stock Goodyear tires are the ones letting it down. I used them till around 42k kms and with frequent punctures and beading leak issues i decided its time to upgrade. I had decided on XM2 or MRF ZLX but most shops either had old stock or were overpriced. I then got Yokohama earth 1 175/65 from a dealer in karol bagh. I have driven around 8k on these and these have made the car much more settled on high speed turns and all round braking.

I also upgraded from the steel rims to alloys. Its a 5.5 x14 inch width rim that's perfect for 175 size tires. Did not upsize rims for fear of bad ride quality. Reduction in unsprung weight definitely makes the car drive better with lesser load on suspension as well. Also painted the calipers for aesthetic reasons since the caliper was exposed now. A stock steel rim with 165 Goodyear tires that have ran 40k kms weighs 13.2 kgs, the new combination weighs approx 13.2 as well. The yoko earth 1 are quite a heavy tire compared to others from across brands.Cost 15k+16k.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-alloys.jpg
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-gridart_20220130_184058607.jpg

Detailing:
After earlier trying those "formula 1" waxes and polishes i discovered how much better actual detailing brands like Turtlewax and Meguiars are. Here's my currently used products to make car look better and protect that shine. After trying traditional waxes that need lot more buffing and manual labor, i love how latest spray sealants make the job so much easier with the same results.

Also bought a big box of like 40 microfibers for like 1400 that i use everywhere in my home. Rather than buying expensive microfibers and the hassle of cleaning and maintaining them i bought these from softspun and open a new one whenever required. Cost: approx 6k.

My detailing arsenal below:
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20220130_185152.jpg
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20201122_105850.jpg

Mechanical maintenance:
Since my car has just done 50k there has not been much on this front. The manual recommends a gear oil change at around 40k kms and i used a synthetic one but no noticeable difference in gear changes.
I have used liqui moly injector cleaners many times over the years and it's a good fuel additive with better mileage, quieter engine and no jerking at low rpms seen by me. I may try their engine flush next month as the engine has not yet been flushed in 50k kms and I use non synthetic oil only so feel the engine could do with a flush.

Thanks for reading.
6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!-20201116_145556.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 31st January 2022 at 00:40. Reason: 6 Grand (i10) Years and loads of functional accessories!
Mr. Nobody is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 05:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:41   #3

Re: 6 grand years and 1.2 lakhs worth of functional accessories in my car!

Lighting upgrade is awesome; night visibility increased multifold. Can you share more details on fog lamp upgrade; some videos or DIY stuff along with bulb details. I will do it in my grandie.
kunal031 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Audio Upgrade 2:
The itch for better bass got to me one day and i got a Pioneer underseat sub-woofer TS-WX400DA installed under the co-passenger seat from a Delhi dealer. This has great bass to fill the bass gap and makes music truly felt inside. It's not window-shaking bass like those 1000w mono powered subs but good enough for my use plus no loss of space in boot. It also comes with a remote to control some settings. I have also got all the 4 doors damped which made the cabin much quieter and truly enhances the audio setup of any car. Using a touchscreen while on the move is kinda distracting and i later got stereo-mounted controls added as well to control the HU. This comes as a panel that replaces the current panel. Wiring was directly taken from the stereo control adaptor below steering to the HU. Cost 13k (Sub)+6k(Damping) + 3.5k (Steering panel).

Anti rust coating has been applied on the underbody. Added benefit of this is the cabin also gets quieter with the road noise from the underbody and wheel wells reduced due to the rubber like coating that absorbs sound waves. This is worth it as one also gets a booster dose of sorts in the next year if it has come off from any area. The undercarriage needs to be well cleaned using a degreaser and pressure wash for the best application. Else one will just drap dirt inside the coating and metal body and make the coating pointless. Cost: 2k.
I think each and every upgrade that you have done is tasteful, adding value to your driving experience, and you have got more than your expenditure's worth already I believe. Fabulous job!! I have 2 queries, firstly, the dampening was done by the same vendor who installed the sub woofer? Any particular brand of dampening material? Please share the vendor's contact details. Also, the anti rust coating on the under body, thats a very good price. Please share that vendor's contact details too. Thank you
redohabitat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 13:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal031 View Post
Lighting upgrade is awesome; night visibility increased multifold. Can you share more details on fog lamp upgrade; some videos or DIY stuff along with bulb details. I will do it in my grandie.
I have retrofitted bi led projectors inside the fog lamp assembly. Projector is iPh m617 and nowdays you can get the 3 in 1 variant which has both yellow light and white in same unit which makes it even better. Its a single sealed unit and does not have any bulb as such.
Unless you wanna go DIY route the simpler option is to put high power LED in the grand i10 fog assembly. Here's a short video i made on this fog lamp projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redohabitat View Post
I think each and every upgrade that you have done is tasteful, adding value to your driving experience, and you have got more than your expenditure's worth already I believe. Fabulous job!! I have 2 queries, firstly, the dampening was done by the same vendor who installed the sub woofer? Any particular brand of dampening material? Please share the vendor's contact details. Also, the anti rust coating on the under body, thats a very good price. Please share that vendor's contact details too. Thank you
Damping is a simple standard job at any audio installer these days. Just get any branded damping sheet like Dr. artex, CTK, ground zero etc, usually they sell them using thickness like 1.5mm, 1.8mm, 2.2 mm thick etc on a per sheet basis. The anti rust was done long ago at the authorized service center itself after a wash and degrease of the body from below(important step).

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 31st January 2022 at 13:34.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 14:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The first memory card from Sandisk lasted me like 1-1.5 years and then bought a samsung card that is running well since past 1.5 years
All the accessories that you have chosen are great value addition to your car

Can you let me know from where you got the dashcam installed and also how much storage space does the memory card have? Also by lasting, do you mean that it got corrupted after an year ?
Dhillon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 15:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
Can you let me know from where you got the dashcam installed and also how much storage space does the memory card have? Also by lasting, do you mean that it got corrupted after an year ?
Installing it is very easy and i installed it myself. You need to paste the 3m sticker for the mount and tuck away the wiring till the fusebox in the obd port area after pulling out the pillar plastic cover. Then tap on to a fuse with a "fuse tap" wire of the appropriate fuse type(first check for your fuse box type like micro blade/mini blade fuse etc). I'm using a 32 gb Samsung evo plus card now. Yes, previously used a sandisk 64gb one but it got corrupted after a year or so.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 22:38   #8
BHPian

This is a great example on how to keep loving your car after so many years. Great list of additions Mr Nobody . Considering the driving style in our country maybe a rear dashcam could also be added to your list .
For the Lumax sunflim, do you know the exact make or model?
Jesse_Mach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 11:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Mach View Post
This is a great example on how to keep loving your car after so many years. Great list of additions Mr Nobody . Considering the driving style in our country maybe a rear dashcam could also be added to your list .
For the Lumax sunflim, do you know the exact make or model?
I seem to have misplaced the bill so don't know the exact model. Yes rear dashcam can be useful so lets see when a good deal comes online
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
I seem to have misplaced the bill so don't know the exact model. Yes rear dashcam can be useful so lets see when a good deal comes online
Mr Nobody, Great to see so many modifications by a fellow Grand i10 owner. They are all worth it & if i were to give recommendation - Please order New HSRP. It's bit damaged. Rest all is super.

I also own Grand i10 Magna, and now 4+ years old now. I'm planning to add Steering & Phone controls & Alloys wheels in it.
woodstock3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 22:36   #11

Loved the way you have maintained and added the tasteful things to your car.

I own a grand i10 Asta 2018 model...I somehow feel that a lot of air/wind noise comes in from the door trims and boot.. I've used 3M damping sheets on the four doors and boot..did this 3 years back..and the noise reduced a bit.. but still at 90+ speeds, a lot of wind noise comes in..and I feel because of that somehow the AC doesn't cool much.. is it same for your car also ?

Initially I tried couple of cars at the dealership in first 2 months just to check if it's just me or the way grandi10 is built.. they all had the same issue.. and I went with damping..

I want to try the P Type weather stripping next, read a review here of a duster using P Type and getting good results from it..
Old 1st March 2024, 19:24   #12
BHPian

My Grand i10 is now nearing 8.5 years at 70k kms. I have lost the itch to further add more mods and updates and car has been going steady. Here's a few maintainence updates:

1. The cars clutch with flywheel replaced at 67k kms. Clutch was becoming hard and during the month preceding the replacement the mileage had fallen below 9. Post replacement its back to 13-14 in Gurugram city use. 3 people learnt driving on this including me so the clutch lasted well. The replacement bill at authorised centre was 11k.
2. The yokohama earth 1 tires are still going strong and performing very well. Have done around 30k kms on these and they are significantly better than the stock goodyears.
3. The iPH led projectors are still working well since 2.5 years.
4 My headlight led projector after 2 years was facing weird issues with high beam not working properly. I could not diagnose the issue due to lack of time and efforts. I replaced them in 2022 with 3 inch Autoki 55w HID projectors with the hoeycomb etching on the lens. They perform well but the Led ones were better.
5. The stock rear brake pads are now showing their age and car does not hold itself well on handbrake so will get them checked next month.
6. The rear boot struts had gone bad and replaced them with aftermarket ones for 750. The OEM parts were around 4k or so.
7. The steering also makes some clicking noises on turning when standing still so will need to be checked again. During service last year the advisor too had noticed some noise but now it's increased.
8. The car has never had its plugs changed so will probably change them to Iridium ones this time.
9. During the annual ban old cars and reduce pollution campaign sponsored by the car makers, I discovered my car is registered as BS2 while being BS4. Have submitted applications to correct the RC for 2 of my cars and I'm waiting since 2+ months now. Will have to take out some time and visit the RTO SDM for this in gurugram.
10. Last year AC performance has been ok bit not as good when it was new. There has been no service of AC and regular cabin filter changes have kept things ok. Now i feel i should get the cooling coil checked but apprehensive of dash getting opened and more creaks and noises added. Will probably get it done at some garage but haven't found a good one in gurgaon. Any references?

Overall experience is going grand so far.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 20:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
7. The steering also makes some clicking noises on turning when standing still so will need to be checked again. During service last year the advisor too had noticed some noise but now it's increased.
Could be driveshaft CV joints needing some love.
If the sound comes when turning right, left CV joint is worn and vice versa.

Usually a lot of people observe some noise from both joints after 60-70k km.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 14:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
7. The steering also makes some clicking noises on turning when standing still so will need to be checked again.
9. Will have to take out some time and visit the RTO SDM for this in gurugram.
10. Any references?

Overall experience is going grand so far.
7. My car also had this problem since it's initial years till the very end. I had the steering opened up once at Safdarjung Hyundai and they said it was a defect in the clock spring. They oiled and the sound reduced slightly but I think we lived with the sound till it was sold ~50000K km. Getting the clock spring replaced was a few thousands I think but it wasn't that big of an issue.
9. My 2016 Creta is also wrongly tagged as BS2. An RTO agent asked for 5500 to get this rectified. Could you share the process and required documents you followed?
10. You can try Professional Hyundai (they are reasonable) or an FNG called "Global Automotive" next to the Tata service centre on the other side of the road. I used to do basic servicing of old Honda City in Global but I have seen them do much more complicated work on much more expensive cars

Last edited by rayjaycleoful : 2nd March 2024 at 15:01.
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 18:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi @Mr. Nobody

I'm surprised you mentioned low mileage as an issue with this. I was driving a July 2014 Grand i10 Asta variant from Faridabad to Noida via the Sarita Vihar-Kailndi Kunj route in routine rush hour traffic & I managed 16 kmpl every time for the 2500 kms that drove the car.

Never took it on highway, but I feel I would have easily managed 19 kmpl. What is your expectation on the mileage front?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks