Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:22   #1
BHPian

Painting my alloy wheels black

Ever since I got the car last year I didn't like the Silver colour non diamond cut alloys on Turbo SX(O) model.

Even the 1.5 Petrol/Diesel SX(O) get diamond cut alloys for lesser price.

I came across some alloys done in black and the C Pillar too, essentially making it all black.

My question in should I go ahead and get all the alloys painted ? Gloss Black or Satin/Matte Black ?

Would it look shabby/cheap? (like people getting 20inch alloys and blacked out windows with police lights around the car )

I've never tried DIY, should I ?

Also let me know if you'd like recommend a FNG for this work in Delhi.

Not interested in spending on new alloys at the moment.

Pics that I saw online

Thanks for your advice

Silver wheel painted satin black
Painting my alloy wheels black-screenshot_202111021559262.png

Silver C Pillar also wrapped/painted black
Painting my alloy wheels black-2020hyundaicretaallblack1.jpg
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:22   #2
BHPian

re: Painting my alloy wheels black

This particular picture of the Satin Black looks amazing, however I’m not sure how well it would look under direct light.

When done well with a professional, it can look really good initially. But if you end up with a botched job of uneven coats, grainy deformities, scratches from road debris etc. or even faded paint, it loses it’s appeal really fast. When dealing with wheels, symmetry is always what catches the eye first, and this symmetry between front and rear wheels will end up highlighting every flaw that pops up.

As a stopgap solution, you could probably DIY a peel-and-stick matt/satin black sticker (the kind some people use for kitchen counters or furniture) and see how it looks for a few days. Best case, you love the way it looks and decide to have it painted, worst case you’ve only spent a couple hundred bucks and not permanently disfigured your car.
wolfsnare24 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:53   #3
BHPian

Plastidip is the best and safest option, gives a perfect finish and can be removed whenever you like without damaging the alloys even a bit. I was contemplating the same for my creta although a different colour (Gunmetal Gray) then Covid happened and the plan took a back seat. Plastidip can be applied by self or through the dealer. It is a little expensive when compared to a paint coat but it's the safest bet around.
Artyom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 19:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsnare24 View Post
When done well with a professional, it can look really good initially. But if you end up with a botched job of uneven coats, grainy deformities, scratches from road debris etc. or even faded paint, it loses its appeal really fast.
I am sceptical because of this very reason as paint fades and scratches it will look really bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
Plastidip is the best and safest option, gives a perfect finish and can be removed whenever you like without damaging the alloys even a bit.
WOW, thanks. I searched online and found a thread on TBHP as well & found a few videos on youtube, seems nice and the finishing too is great, looks like a better option than paint, will research further and make a call.

TBHP Plastidip Thread (Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...)

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 2nd November 2021 at 19:05. Reason: Link Correction
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Painting my alloy wheels black

Get your rims painted black by a professional paint shop. I'd gotten it done for my Civic & my bro's Jetta. The results are awesome. If you want an OEM-like finish and paint quality, a professional is best. Especially since your Creta is almost brand new.

You just have to watch out for curbing against footpaths, and keeping black rims clean is more of a task than silver ones.

Painting my alloy wheels black-1-2.jpg

Painting my alloy wheels black-civic_pics-12.jpg

Painting my alloy wheels black-civic_pics-14.jpg
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Lovely wheels there GTO. Black wheels are sexy for those who love to just enjoy watching them all day long.

If not replacing and wanting to paint, do not take short cuts. Take it a professional painter and ask for different suggestions and decide.

I replaced mine instead of painting. Not everyone likes black wheels. So it's a taste, only those who want, can appreciate
Attached Thumbnails
Painting my alloy wheels black-img_20211103_102702.jpg  

Last edited by VW2010 : 3rd November 2021 at 10:29.
VW2010 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If you've not painted it yet, why not bronze? I've always drooled on Black Cars/SUV's with Bronze alloys!

Painting my alloy wheels black-screenshot-20211103-103525.jpg

Painting my alloy wheels black-44e6009fde6afb3cc34c2223d2217c7e.jpg

Oh.. and b.t.w, get the painting done professionally ONLY!

Image Credit Links : https://www.adv1wheels.com/wp-conten...v-wheels-J.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/44/e6...23d2217c7e.jpg
dhanushs is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
WOW, thanks. I searched online and found a thread on TBHP as well & found a few videos on Youtube, seems nice and the finishing too is great, looks like a better option than paint, will research further and make a call.
Don't go for Plastidip for alloys. Plastidip is good for areas that don't see much wear & tear. The alloys will always get stone chips and that will make the Plastidip peel off.

Also, as GTO mentioned, Painting is the best way to go. I personally prefer Gunmetal to Black since Gunmetal doesn't get so dirty as Black and maintenance is easy. Also, I feel gunmetal more appealing but that is subjective.

PS : My Plastidip grill DIY here (Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...).
PapaBravo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Get your rims painted black by a professional paint shop. I'd gotten it done for my Civic & my bro's Jetta. The results are awesome. If you want an OEM-like finish and paint quality, a professional is best. Especially since your Creta is almost brand new.
The black alloys on Civic & Jetta look awesome. Black definitely demands more maintenance (learnt it the hard way when I got the black activa125).

Professional paint job it is !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If not replacing and wanting to paint, do not take short cuts. Take it a professional painter and ask for different suggestions and decide.
Yup, will go to a detailing studio and see what they suggest and looks good, i had the disc brake callipers painted red after the delivery so black wheels hopefully will enhance the look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
If you've not painted it yet, why not bronze? I've always drooled on Black Cars/SUV's with Bronze alloys!
The bronze colour looks mesmerizing but the silver alloys Hyundai has provided me aren't the best design to show off the beautiful colour, keeping it black and hiding the overdesigned alloys for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Don't go for Plastidip for alloys. Plastidip is good for areas that don't see much wear & tear. The alloys will always get stone chips and that will make the Plastidip peel off.
Yes sir !! Paintwork it is. Nicely done grill on the duster

Also, can I plastidip the C-Pillar on the creta or that too painted/wrapped ? Like the one in the photo I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohaNN_kWh View Post
Silver C Pillar also wrapped/painted black
Attachment 2227191
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 22:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

My wheels were corroding and bent. Replacements were 35000 a corner. Being 16” , options were limited unless I picked up Skoda cast offs.

Painting my alloy wheels black-4a476994f469484ab602b3216cc077b6.jpeg

Got the bends sorted out and as we could never replicate the satin finish, we decided to go for gun metal. As a kicker, my garage owner added a brown tint to it. Now looking rather gangster.

It took two attempts. The wheels were sandblasted, primer applied and painted. The first attempt saw the paint bubble. The paint was stripped and another time of primer applied.

So far so good

Painting my alloy wheels black-92ef29e7e101435eaa9b03d123c45e70.jpeg

Painting my alloy wheels black-c3226a91fbfe4d88a4544262eb94a05a.jpeg
ajmat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 01:02   #11
BHPian

My alloys looked terrible and they were not straight. I took all of them with me to Romania while I visited my dentist.

They straightened in an automatic jig, sand blasted and powder coated.

My summer alloys were done in black chrome and the winter wheels in gun metal. Black chrome is chrome on a black base.

My summer wheel.
Painting my alloy wheels black-sommer.jpg

Winter wheel.
Painting my alloy wheels black-vinter.jpg

Last edited by Indian2003 : 4th November 2021 at 01:04.
Indian2003 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 10:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

You just have to watch out for curbing against footpaths, and keeping black rims clean is more of a task than silver ones.
How is the long term life of the black paint? Can it be removed easily?
Old 4th November 2021, 12:15   #13
BHPian

I had my Creta Turbo’s alloys and C pillar painted in gloss black and calipers painted red at Autotech New Delhi for Rs. 13000 total.

Pic is regular dusty look.

Painting my alloy wheels black-53d50a8d12c64f10b24872fb1196fb9c.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2021 at 22:40. Reason: Typos
iamitp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 14:09   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a DIY on the tucson, and also on the Hector. It's a fairly easy job, and costs about 2000 rupees. More than that, it's a lot of fun, and any scuffs can be topped whenever you want.

Just take care to remove the wheel, and use playing cards between the wheel and tyre to avoid overspray. Even if you do overspray, The paint on the tyre goes away in a couple of kilometers.
Also, give a slight key to the wheel with a medium grade sandpaper.

The tucson was a direct spray with satin black. Did the same with the Hector, but will be doing it again with a gold undercoat and gloss black top coat.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting my alloy wheels black-silver-wheel.jpg  

Painting my alloy wheels black-black-wheel.jpg  

Painting my alloy wheels black-img_20170619_171640.jpg  

Painting my alloy wheels black-profile.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th November 2021 at 16:47. Reason: Corrected the previous post.
mayankk is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 21:10   #15
FHW
BHPian

I believe black wheels always look great. I have painted my Alto wheels with black few years ago. The paint finish is not that great but they look nice.
FHW is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks