Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2007, 17:56   #1
BHPian

Performance upgrades for the Honda Civic

I'd be grateful if the gurus here could suggest any performance upgrades for my new Civic and a reliable place to get them done, as close to Pune as possible. Have only installed the audio...didn't see any wheels that caught my fancy. I've also heard a lot about not upsizing and especially about not changing to lo-pros. Help.
Old 3rd June 2007, 19:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

low profiles will reduce your ride quality. to start off you could get a performance air filter and a free flow exhaust.
Old 3rd June 2007, 20:28   #3
BHPian

Like Akshay put it, Low profile tyres bring down the ride quality. You could go in for a nice set of alloys. And regarding the performance. Start off initially with a Replacement air filter and later you can upgrade to FFE depending upon your need. But mainly, what is your budget?
Old 3rd June 2007, 20:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly go for a conical filter. Then a FFE without headers since the new Civic has headers integrated in it, you cant change them the only solution is to import them from Mugen who have a solution to change them.
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Then a FFE without headers since the new Civic has headers integrated in it,
Err...not quite sure I follow you here; do you mean to say that the civic has an exhaust manifold (with 4 individual runners), and the header/bent pipe is a single unit? No collector? Or do you mean that the headers are already optimal, and suggest a cat-back?

P.S- Mugen already has mufflers and other parts for the Civic, here in India. Hear the prices, and you'd be better off buying an additional used city...

Last edited by veyron1 : 3rd June 2007 at 22:29.
Old 3rd June 2007, 22:33   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Atul, unlike other cars you cant take off the headers from the engine in the civic. Its weird.
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

You mean the manifold's integrated to the head?? As a single unit??
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yenjoy! AJP FG1 Turbo Kit AJ Performance, llc

AFAIK, even the 3.0 V6s ran integrated exhaust manifolds. It lets exhaust gases run hotter and help the cat con, and is cheaper to make, I think.

Last edited by ported_head : 3rd June 2007 at 23:34.
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:46   #9
BHPian

I do plan to get a nice set of alloys. I think the stock alloys are too "flowery". I'm just not too sure about the quality of these south-east asian brands that seem to be everywhere... none of the NFS brands to be seen :P. I'm not at all aware of the costs involved in these upgrades, though I don't think an air filter will be that expensive; don't know about the FFE. Would surely appreciate a learned estimate
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Get a conical k&n air filter, free flow exhaust, nice set of alloys with better rubber.
Old 4th June 2007, 01:39   #11
BHPian

as every said conical k&n,FFE and tyres would be the best steps for now.
but for FFE dont go to any one in pune.
Old 4th June 2007, 08:04   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

K&N air filters will cost between 6-8k depending on the model you choose. Mugen end cans will cost you around 8k if sound is what you need.

If you wish to open your engine there a lot of things you can do. Turbo, Supercharger, port/polish, change cams etc etc. Its where you want to be is what you should decide first.
Old 4th June 2007, 09:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I do plan to get a nice set of alloys. I think the stock alloys are too "flowery". I'm just not too sure about the quality of these south-east asian brands that seem to be everywhere... none of the NFS brands to be seen :P. I'm not at all aware of the costs involved in these upgrades, though I don't think an air filter will be that expensive; don't know about the FFE. Would surely appreciate a learned estimate
you wont find any nfs brands in india besides oz and bbs. and those are very expensive.
Old 4th June 2007, 09:56   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vikram,

Firstly, the Civic is a fantastic machine with tons of after-market support (within India and abroad) so make sure that you go only for high-quality parts in your performance installation.

Here is what I would recommend for stage one to the Civic:

1. Cold-air intake
2. Complete exhaust kit. Get in touch with D-BHPian "Psycho". He imported Greddy headers for my Vtec and the performance is far better than any of the locally sourced headers. I am certain there are several bolt-on options for the Civic.

3. Mobil 1 engine oil : If you arent already using it.

4. Performance tyres and upgraded alloys. We rank certain Yokohama tyres very highly, and dont think too much of the new breed of Goodyears.

That should be good for a while, and make sure that you perform upgrades one by one (to really know / enjoy each difference). After a while, you may also consider remaps / performance cams etc.

Also take the time out to read this thread : Linky.
Old 4th June 2007, 12:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Mugen end cans will cost you around 8k if sound is what you need.
Hah. A certain Honda dealership in Mumbai sells Mugen parts as O.E aftermarket, including bent pipes, mufflers, end pipes and manifolds. Guess what. The official starter "Mugen setup" for a City costs upwards of 35K... and that's just for exhausts...they haven't started ECM's or "real" upgrades yet...

Forget K&N's. Take a look at this article;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-effects.html

Vikram, since it's a new Civic, please wait until 10,000 Kms at least. Get used to her, find the sweet spots; get to know the car first. When you've exploited the cars' capabilites, start tapping her potential by going aftermarket. Within a year, there'll be plenty of aftermarket support readily available, and you'll have choices. There are a lot of options available from B2B (boosting to boring). I suggest you wait a little...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks