Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 21:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which adhesive tape to stick a heavy accessory to the door pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post

I bought a pull-up sunshade and I'm trying to install it using an adhesive but the regular 3M tape isn't holding it...
Here's an idea.

How about using it as a pull-down, and mount it on the roof liner instead? Use 1-inch wide Velcro tape (beige/transparent) to get good grip; one layer stapled onto the roof liner, another stuck onto the sunshade body, and use a bit of 3M tape on the doorpad to stick the hook (or whatever mechanism holds the shade open)?

Clean install, and easily removable when not in use. The only bits on the car when the shade is not in use is a strip of Velcro tape that blends in with the roof liner, and a small hook on the doorpad.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2022 at 21:47. Reason: Added link
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
How about using it as a pull-down, and mount it on the roof liner instead? Use 1-inch wide Velcro tape (beige/transparent) to get good grip; one layer stapled onto the roof liner, another stuck onto the sunshade body, and use a bit of 3M tape on the doorpad to stick the hook (or whatever mechanism holds the shade open)?
Interesting. But I'm not sure it'll work in my case for the following reasons,
  • The sunshades' base is straight like the door pad, but the roof liner has curves.
  • The curtain is shaped based on the car's window design, so inverting it wouldn't give the same effectiveness (front).

Even if I manage to fix it with velcro as a pull-down, doesn't it still have the same issue? I mean, if the velcro fails to hold the weight or eventually gives up, the sunshade would fall down and would be dangerous as it's over the head.

This is how it works now, like an integrated curtain. I'm trying to get it to work just like that

Name:  ezgif3531df2f75b.gif
Views: 729
Size:  2.88 MB

I still believe a stronger adhesive can hold it. Though two of them came off, the other two are working fine and look strong. I'll get the VHB tape in a couple of days and hopefully, it will work.

Quote:
Will it damage the trim or leave residue on removal?
Any idea about this?

Thanks!
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 12:07   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I have used this for fixing up my rear DVR Cam. That has not moved so far.
I've used it for a few other applications, and its pretty strong stuff. You could give it a shot.
However, the "reuasble" bit mentioned, yeah that's a lie.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 22:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I think their legality is a bit of a grey area. Unlike sun films, they don’t stay on the windows permanently and can be removed when not needed. Cops have never stopped me for this.
Plus my other car has roller curtains from the factory itself, so I guess these should be allowed.
Correct, their legality is grey. Some states would fine you for these blinds, these are technically not allowed while driving, only for providing shade when parked or for privacy.
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 10:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I'm going to give that a try. I found this on Amazon, https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01..._title_o00_s00
I tried this tape and it worked really well until I parked the car under hot sun. The tape did hold the unit pretty well and it was strong. Lasted 1000 kms under different conditions.

Then I parked the car under hot sun for a couple of hours, with the sunshade open, and it came off. Still, the other unit which was closed held up well.

I decided to test again and pulled up the other curtain when I parked the car yesterday, and the same thing happened.

So I think, the tape holds well but a little extreme hot or cold temperature would make the bond weak.

I’ve decided to give up, as I don’t want to screw the unit. Also, the micro rattling is annoying to me (the exact reason I don’t want to screw something; now I can just remove the unit and there’s no permanent damage).
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I tried this tape and it worked really well until I parked the car under hot sun. The tape did hold the unit pretty well and it was strong. Lasted 1000 kms under different conditions.

Then I parked the car under hot sun for a couple of hours, with the sunshade open, and it came off. Still, the other unit which was closed held up well.

I decided to test again and pulled up the other curtain when I parked the car yesterday, and the same thing happened.

So I think, the tape holds well but a little extreme hot or cold temperature would make the bond weak.

I’ve decided to give up, as I don’t want to screw the unit. Also, the micro rattling is annoying to me (the exact reason I don’t want to screw something; now I can just remove the unit and there’s no permanent damage).
Before giving up you may want to try reading this once: especially the usage/application part. I am sure you will see better results.

https://www.tme.eu/Document/372041ce...ape%204941.pdf

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...l-bulletin.pdf

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 22nd April 2022 at 11:35.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 09:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Before giving up you may want to try reading this once: especially the usage/application part. I am sure you will see better results.
Thank you for your suggestion! It’s holding up really well. I applied multiple layers in some areas to make sure it has enough support on the curved sections of the door pad.

It's been a year now, and I've driven ~10,000 kms since then. I wanted to wait and make sure it lasts longer before replying.

Thanks again for your help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks