Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2022, 11:13   #1
BHPian

Which adhesive tape to stick a heavy accessory to the door pad?

Hi All,

I bought a pull-up sunshade and I'm trying to install it using an adhesive but the regular 3M tape isn't holding it.

The context,
Quote:
Though they recommended screwing it, I didn’t want to do that and asked them to use a 3M tape. Two of them came off by the time I reached home and I’m trying to find a stronger adhesive now.
Reference: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5291117 (Legal Alternatives to Sun Film)

I've shortlisted the following products, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough or has any side effects like damaging the door pad while removing.
  1. 3M Hi Strength Bond Tape With Primer
  2. DTAPE - Heavy Duty Double Sided Tape With Primer

Other things to note,
  • The door pad is textured.
  • The sunshade unit isn't fully supported by the door pad, say 20%, as the door pad has light curves/bends.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 11:39   #2
BANNED

Re: Which adhesive tape to stick a heavy accessory to the door pad?

I have used the first one to fix blind spot mirror in my brezza, the type of mirror which sticks on top of side mirrors. Its been a year and the bonding is strong. Blind spot mirror came with tape which was not good quality.
splitsecond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 12:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I've shortlisted the following products, but I'm not sure if it's strong enough or has any side effects like damaging the door pad while removing.
  1. 3M Hi Strength Bond Tape With Primer
  2. DTAPE - Heavy Duty Double Sided Tape With Primer
Both these products are meant to be used on smooth surfaces without any texture or graining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I have used the first one to fix blind spot mirror in my brezza, the type of mirror which sticks on top of side mirrors
Glass / mirror have smooth surface. Question here is about grained plastic
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is it really worth it? I have seen folks that otherwise drive really well and appropriately, face blind spot issues and nearly cause crashes due to excessive use of sun shades. Really is one of the most annoying accessories IMO. Get yourself some quality film and call it a day is what I'd say
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:38   #5
BHPian

3M VHB tapes are the ones that would stick to textured surfaces. Look at the 4941 series. But honestly, they are so expensive and difficult to procure in retail, you are not looking at an easy solution unfortunately. If you can source a few inches from somewhere, great. Most others wouldn't hold.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 17:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is it really worth it? I have seen folks that otherwise drive really well and appropriately, face blind spot issues and nearly cause crashes due to excessive use of sun shades. Really is one of the most annoying accessories IMO. Get yourself some quality film and call it a day is what I'd say
I agree with the blind spot issue if all the window curtains are rolled up (though this one is nearly transparent that you can even read through it). I’m mostly going to use this only for just one window (the rear right) as I’m travelling with a kid. It wasn’t available as a single piece, so I had to purchase a set of four.

I’d have installed a film if it’s legal. This one I can at least roll down when I’m not using it.

And, the problem I’m trying to solve is not actually the heat, but the direct sunbeam on the face. So it’s going to be rolled down all the time except when there’s a direct sunbeam on my daughter’s face.
Old 5th April 2022, 17:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I have used the first one to fix blind spot mirror in my brezza, the type of mirror which sticks on top of side mirrors.
These mirrors are very light, and the relative surface area for it's weight (as compared to what @Robin is looking at). The surface of the ORVM is also flat, unlike the textured one on door pads.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:01   #8
BHPian

I don’t think any adhesive will be able to keep the blinds in place for long, especially because these are roller blinds that will keep moving up and down frequently. They are mostly meant to be screwed into the door pads, but I have seen them come loose over time. This leads to terrible looking holes in the door pads. This is why I bought these window shades. They are designed in accordance with the shape of the windows and fit into the frame. They help in blocking the sun pretty well. Only downside is that they are cumbersome to fit and remove, but way better than drilling into your door pads. Easily available on Amazon for most popular cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Which adhesive tape to stick a heavy accessory to the door pad?-029e85839b0740779cc3d97ad199c92d.jpeg  

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 5th April 2022 at 19:02.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 20:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
3M VHB tapes are the ones that would stick to textured surfaces. Look at the 4941 series.
Thanks! I'm going to give that a try. I found this on Amazon, https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01..._title_o00_s00

Will it damage the trim or leave residue on removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
They are mostly meant to be screwed into the door pads, but I have seen them come loose over time. This leads to terrible looking holes in the door pads. This is why I bought these window shades.
Thank you, that's my worry. I don't want to fix it using a screw for the same reason. However, I don't open/close the window frequently, it's more like 5-6 times a year or so (rear). Now that I've already purchased the product, I'm trying to experiment and make it work for at least a year or two, without damaging the doorpad
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 15:12   #10
BHPian

I tried using one of these (magnetic ones) and I had water coming inside my Honda City during the monsoons.
Old 7th April 2022, 16:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I don’t think any adhesive will be able to keep the blinds in place for long, especially because these are roller blinds that will keep moving up and down frequently. They are mostly meant to be screwed into the door pads, but I have seen them come loose over time. This leads to terrible looking holes in the door pads. This is why I bought these window shades. They are designed in accordance with the shape of the windows and fit into the frame. They help in blocking the sun pretty well. Only downside is that they are cumbersome to fit and remove, but way better than drilling into your door pads. Easily available on Amazon for most popular cars.
Slight off topic from the thread however I just wanted to confirm aren’t these types of shades illegal. I have been fined by cops saying these shades are illegal and I am not supposed to have anything on the windows which blocks the visibility.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th April 2022 at 13:01. Reason: Typo
Old 7th April 2022, 17:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Slight off topic from the thread however I just wanted to confirm aren’t these types of shades illegal. I have been fined by cops saying these shades are illiterate and I am not supposed to have anything on the windows which blocks the visibility.
I think their legality is a bit of a grey area. Unlike sun films, they don’t stay on the windows permanently and can be removed when not needed. Cops have never stopped me for this.
Plus my other car has roller curtains from the factory itself, so I guess these should be allowed.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Hi All,

I bought a pull-up sunshade and I'm trying to install it using an adhesive but the regular 3M tape isn't holding it.

[/list]
Can you share link to this item as well?
Old 7th April 2022, 18:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Can you share link to this item as well?
I bought this from a car accessories shop in Bangalore. Though I started my search for the item online, I couldn’t find the one for my car (Kia Sonet).

You can find the product on Carhatke, https://carhatke.com/index.php?route...dow%20sunshade

Related post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5106312 (Legal Alternatives to Sun Film)

I’d suggest buying this only if you’re ready to fix it using screws. I’ve ordered the adhesive tape @lapis_lazuli suggested and shall update how that goes in a week or so.
Old 7th April 2022, 20:11   #15
BHPian

Definitely use VHB 3M tape with 94 primer. Alternatively loctite has some solutions.
I would explore perhaps a little nitrile foam/silicon foam and fevibond (a synthetic rubber adhesive, easily reversible) to handle the contours.... Lastly, you may consider that all these solutions use solvents... Mild or otherwise.. Consider stacking tape, fiberglass, and even mdf with a grinder attachment on a dremel for the truly initiated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks