Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2022, 13:15   #811
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Got a set of sticking sunshades. Unlike the suction cups which keep falling off, these stick to the glass completely . So far in the first few weeks of usage, I don't find losing the stickiness. The manufacturer insists we can wash and renew the stickiness. Only downside is for opening windows we need to remove them and let the glass slide.

Link:https://www.amazon.in/kinder-Fluff-x12-blocker-Protection/dp/B00ZOKJVAG

PS: Not affiliated with this brand in any capacity. Just a suggestion that might help people in the same boat to find legal alternatives.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_7957.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_7958.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_7959.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_7960.jpg
Swarup5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 23:17   #812
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
The SC order says car manufacturers may produce vehicles with tinted glasses where visual light transmission is 70% for windscreens and 40% for side glasses (windowpane).

As per Judgment in Avishek Goenka Vs. Union of India & Anr. the Apex Court had on 21-May-2012 prohibited the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.
Spot on. I still can't forget the name of Hble judge Mr HS Kapadia who passed this verdict. To protest against this law, I started putting bedhsheet afterwards in 3 windows and I had downloaded a copy of this verdict and kept in my car.

The verdict had a wording that we can't paste anything on glasses. Techincally I was not pasting anything but I was making the visibility 0%.

I badly wanted that cops should stop me and I show them this verdict. Sadly, I was never stopped.

I had very high hopes that atleast 3M and Garware will challenge this decision, but they also did not do anything, but the film business kept growing.

Last edited by dicor : 25th March 2022 at 23:19.
dicor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 01:22   #813
BANNED

I do not like sunshades that aren’t made by the car manufacturer. They infringe on visibility and make it unsafe to drive.
I have resorted to VW sunshades at the rear, because they don’t make for the front. Along with tints on all windows.
Against the law? Sure
Penalty? Monetary Fine or Tint removal
Bleh, risk v reward

VW’s sunshades are top notch. They cover the full rear and sides with no gap for sunlight to hit. I find this much better implementation than the factory provided sunshades on cars because they leave too much of an air gap. With these can leave the rear windows down if needed and no insects or mosquitos get inside.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 07:28   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
Got a set of sticking sunshades.
Didn't you try the magnetic shades? I find those the best currently. Covers the entire window and coupled with those front shades while parking, getting in the car after parking it on a sunny day is not uncomfortable now. You can also open the windows when you this in place. Only downside I see is that, I got the one without the zip. So I need to open the door and remove the shades to get anything from outside (ex - giving card while refueling).

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20210704_133854.jpg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-20210704_133703.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 11:01   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Didn't you try the magnetic shades? I find those the best currently. Covers the entire window and coupled with those front shades while parking, getting in the car after parking it on a sunny day is not uncomfortable now.
I understand that such curtains obstructing light and transparency of glass are illegal. Refrain from using these as a legal alternative. Rest, with muscle, you can even paint the glass black to mock the law of this country.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 20:51   #816
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
I understand that such curtains obstructing light and transparency of glass are illegal. Refrain from using these as a legal alternative. Rest, with muscle, you can even paint the glass black to mock the law of this country.
Can these magnetic shades or silver foil type of removable things can be legally used when the car is parked in public road (Just using it to avoid the heat when the car is parked long in sun but in a public road) or is it a blanket ban irrespective of the vehicle that is moving or stationary in a public road?

Can one be fined for this too?

I could not still believe why all car makers cannot just give 70% VLT glass for windshields and 50% VLT glass for windows as factory default complying with regulations especially in a hot country like India?
thanixravindran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 20:59   #817
BANNED

Manufacturers such as Maruti, Kia, Toyota, and VW give green tinted glass on some of their offerings already.
None of these sun shades are legal, I don’t know why people justify them as legal.
Get tints and get over it, much safer than sunshades. I would never drive with sunshades on the front windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Can these magnetic shades or silver foil type of removable things can be legally used when the car is parked in public road (Just using it to avoid the heat when the car is parked long in sun but in a public road) or is it a blanket ban irrespective of the vehicle that is moving or stationary in a public road?

Can one be fined for this too?

I could not still believe why all car makers cannot just give 70% VLT glass for windshields and 50% VLT glass for windows as factory default complying with regulations especially in a hot country like India?
This is not the country where you need to think too much about these small things. Live your life, the fine is minuscule even if you need to pay it.
Everyone won’t give it because of $$ simple

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 26th March 2022 at 21:02.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 10:59   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Manufacturers such as Maruti, Kia, Toyota, and VW give green tinted glass on some of their offerings already.
None of these sun shades are legal, I don’t know why people justify them as legal.

Get tints and get over it, much safer than sunshades.*SNIP*
OK, sure will. Just tell me how I would go about getting tints on a car that does not come with it from the factory.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2022, 13:06   #819
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
OK, sure will. Just tell me how I would go about getting tints on a car that does not come with it from the factory.

Cheers
The same way one might purchase sunshades, from the neighborhood car accessories guy.

Also, if you own the same car model as the one which has green glasses now, you can get them changed from the service center. This obviously does not work for cars that the manufacturer hasn’t launched a green glass version for.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 27th March 2022 at 13:07.
Old 4th April 2022, 20:17   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthponraj View Post
carhatke seems to source these automatic sunshades from Swastik.

Also I checked the reviews for Autofurnish in Amazon for these sunshades - product quality seems to be a major issue apart from the 3M double sticker which doesn’t hold longer ( as buyers didn’t want to screw the product in their car doors )
Finally, I got the product from an accessories shop (Car Decor) in Jayanagar, Bangalore. It’s the same product by Swastik. Though they recommended screwing it, I didn’t want to do that and asked them to use a 3M tape. Two of them came off by the time I reached home and I’m trying to find a stronger adhesive now

About the product, I like how it fits and how much glass area it covers.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-0abc178622084475a9cb85d06a5f8dde.jpeg

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-1ae6a742517a4423bde95dc315582104.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Has held up pretty well so far. A boon on sunny days. I am satisfied.
Did you screw it to the door pad or used any adhesive like a 3M tape?
robincsamuel is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 21:05   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Did you screw it to the door pad or used any adhesive like a 3M tape?
I screwed it and it has helped up well
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 21:51   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
No, the magnetic sunshades are perfectly legal. I asked multiple officers in Electronic city RTO before buying. I have been using in multiple cars in multiple states with magnetic shades over the past 6 years. I did not face any objection from any authority. I have been stopped for PUC check, license check and what not.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 11:23   #823
BHPian

Guys!!! Hold tight. I am going to post something which will nullify the objective of this thread.

I stumbled upon this piece of news today.

It says that sunfilms are legal again.

https://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/en...4a1c4cfb&ss=pd

Upon more research, I found the amendment notification from government's official site MORTH. It says about amendment in Rule 100.

Now, I need a lawyer BHPian here, to decode this and enlighten us with real picture.

The PDF is in English and Hindi both.

https://morth.nic.in/sites/default/f...motorcycle.pdf

Name:  sunfilm.JPG
Views: 2192
Size:  103.1 KB

Note: Apologies for typos if any. I am too excited now.
Old 14th April 2022, 11:31   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post

It says that sunfilms are legal again.

I am too excited now.
Sorry for being a spoilsport here. But this thread is what you need to read.
batish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 17:37   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
No, the magnetic sunshades are perfectly legal. I asked multiple officers in Electronic city RTO before buying. I have been using in multiple cars in multiple states with magnetic shades over the past 6 years.
Have been using the sunshades without any objections so far.
However saw some NCR based youtubers mentioning that they are removing sunshades while driving in Mumbai to avoid being challaned. So it may be objectionable in certain cities, better to have a list.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks