Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 14:11   #826
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Hello Team, With the scorching heat of Bengaluru and my continuous trips down to Mysore, I have given up. I drive my car all the time with sun shades and have never been stopped for the same ever in Bangalore. Yet because the shades do not cover the quarter glass and obviously the front windshield, it is getting tad difficult to move around in the heat. I was hoping to get CR70 sun film all around in my car. I wanted to know if the cops have given you a hard time for CR70s because I have been pulled over so many times but never for sun shades. I would also like to know how much does it typically cost too. I was quoted 8K for the front windshield and 14K for the all the windows.
speedfreak77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 15:11   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak77 View Post
I wanted to know if the cops have given you a hard time for CR70s because I have been pulled over so many times but never for sun shades. I would also like to know how much does it typically cost too. I was quoted 8K for the front windshield and 14K for the all the windows.
Is this quote from 3M? Please ensure you get it installed at authorized center or someone you have feedback on as I have heard lot of duplicates in past and also film is not applied properly. 14K seems on lower side for CR70 for rear windshield and 4 side windows.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 20:43   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team, With the scorching heat of Bengaluru and my continuous trips down to Mysore, I have given up.I was hoping to get CR70 sun film all around in my car. I wanted to know if the cops have given you a hard time for CR70s because I have been pulled over so many times but never for sun shades. I would also like to know how much does it typically cost too. I was quoted 8K for the front windshield and 14K for the all the windows.
I have had CR70 in my last 2 cars for the last 10 years in Bangalore and only one once ( at the time when the whole sunfilm thing was a hot topic) have i been pulled over, but was let go with a warning. In my experience, cops in Bangalore are not actively looking at sunfilms as an issue, especially CR70 which cannot be noticed unless one has a really close look. If you dont drive much in the central part of Bangalore, the risk is extremely low. However, say you get pulled over for something else, and then the cop notices the sunfilm, then it maybe a different issue. And yes, CR70 does cost around 8k for the front windshield.
Old 14th October 2022, 16:07   #829
BHPian

Moving a little away from this topic, but related. Instead of sun-film, I am looking at changing the window glass for my car. I'd like to go for a something that is reduces noise levels. Any suggestions?
Boomerang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 23:08   #830

Quote:
and 14K for the all the windows.
Did you get around getting CR70? What’s the review? Could you please share the dealer details?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And yes, CR70 does cost around 8k for the front windshield.
Could you please share your applicator’s contact details. Want to purchase a CR70 for my new Tucson.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th January 2023 at 09:20. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
puri.sarang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 23:54   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puri.sarang View Post
Could you please share your applicator’s contact details. Want purchase a cr70 for my new Tucson.
I usually did this with 3M Car care, whitefield outlet. But they seem to have closed down during Covid, you could check with 3M car care showrooms in Banaswadi, Indira Nagar or even Sarjapur road. I think in general you cannot go wrong with CR70 at most 3M car care stores.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 08:41   #832
Senior - BHPian

Can one be pulled up for having factory installed pull-up sun blinds (not films)? I guess the same doubt exists for aftermarket magnetic sun blinds. Although both of these can be hastily removed if pointed out by a cop, it will be good to know the legality and practicality of it while on the roads
Old 15th January 2023, 13:33   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Can one be pulled up for having factory installed pull-up sun blinds (not films)? I guess the same doubt exists for aftermarket magnetic sun blinds. Although both of these can be hastily removed if pointed out by a cop, it will be good to know the legality and practicality of it while on the roads
That's a grey area and depends on the local police. In Chandigarh they challan you for that too. You can't argue with them that it's factory fitted. They don't care. All the say is that it's illegal and boom.
Old 26th January 2023, 17:11   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Sorry for being a spoilsport here. But this thread is what you need to read.
As a lawyer, may I inform you that the Supreme Court ruling in the Avishek Goenka case of 2012 has made it clear that any film pasted/applied upon glass is illegal under MV Act. They are not considered ‘tint’ for the purposes of the quoted section, with only exception pertaining to the manufacturers.
Sherlock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 21:57   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
As a lawyer, may I inform you that the Supreme Court ruling in the Avishek Goenka case of 2012 has made it clear that any film pasted/applied upon glass is illegal under MV Act. They are not considered ‘tint’ for the purposes of the quoted section, with only exception pertaining to the manufacturers.
Yes Sherlock, that is what I had mentioned to him. I suppose you haven't clicked on thread link, check it out. That page leads to same discussion on this topic that is why I had posted the link.

True. They are illegal but as with everything in this country, legal, illegal, rules are for the complying ones only.

On a separate note completely OT, lawyer sir, can you do something about NGT 10 Year ban? Atleast can they make a little information public where they show that this ban had some effect?

Last edited by batish : 26th January 2023 at 22:00.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 21:23   #836
BHPian

Thats my friends XUV 500 next to my 2008 Ford Endeavour XLT
The funny thing is that he got stopped for window tint and I did not.
There is no way that he is guiltier than I am, but I refuse to remove my tint. If a cop ever stops me, I'll definitely pay the fine. But what I do is roll down the front windows whenever I see cops stopping people. They just let me through.
I dont recommend anyone try what I do. (I'm just too lazy to remove the film and then think of an alternative.) But I just wanted to share that this isnt fair no matter what you do. So do what you want. The cops will always find a reason if you give them one but also ignore everything if they find you compliant to "them" rather than the law.
Such is life. Cheers all!
Attached Thumbnails
Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-img_20210819_012210_681.jpg  

Old 30th January 2023, 17:42   #837
Senior - BHPian

I have read the entire thread but did not find anything that is straight simple. I do not want to get the 3M film installed as it looks risky if cops pull over and touch the edge of the glass. Can someone give a contact in Hyd that does the curtain type blinds? I think investing 3K to 5K for such mod is totally worth it given the highway runs we do. I do not want to use the suction ones, they look horrible and the kids just keep plucking them out.
Old 18th May 2023, 13:33   #838
BHPian

Guys, The temperatures in Hyderabad are very high. Bangalore is much cooler. Its not bearable in hyderabad, especially if your car is parked for ~30 minutes in Sun.

Any suggestions?
- If i install screens/window blinds from Maruti, will it be of any help?
- Every car i see on road has sun films installed. But i do not want to violate the law.

Any Suggestions/alternatives?
Old 18th May 2023, 14:27   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Any suggestions?
Every car i see on road has sun films installed. But i do not want to violate the law.

You can consider opting for Zed black curtains as the only available option. However, please note that they may slightly reduce visibility for the driver, just like tinted windows would.

You can find Zed black curtains on Amazon: https://www.amazon.in/Able-Black-Mag...08SK9MZ67?th=1

Make sure to select a sunshade labeled as Zed black. If it's not mentioned, you can email the seller to inquire about the availability of Zed black curtains. These curtains offer 100% dark tint for privacy and protection from the sun.

I have the same and it works well!!
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 14:46   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
Guys, The temperatures in Hyderabad are very high. Bangalore is much cooler. Its not bearable in hyderabad, especially if your car is parked for ~30 minutes in Sun.

Any suggestions?
- If i install screens/window blinds from Maruti, will it be of any help?
- Every car i see on road has sun films installed. But i do not want to violate the law.

Am using these for more than 2 years now and I find it really effective since the office parking isn't a closed one. Also, the side magnetic curtains (Kingsway brand) are a blessing since I did find considerable difference while driving to Bangalore. I would recommend the fully closed shades with zipper since you will have access without having to open the door and remove the shades. Especially when filling the fuel.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-screenshot-20230518-2.38.53-pm.png

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-screenshot-20230518-2.39.52-pm.png

Image source - Amazon
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks