Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 18:10   #781
BHPian

Re: Legal Alternatives to Sun Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusarrarr View Post
hes on instagram - cartastically
leave a msg, will let you guys know if and when he replies.
Edit - adding the attachment of the car shop that seems to be the dealer. Anybody from Surat who can verify and help ?
Spoke at the shop, his name is Alam Khan, friendly guy, he said he would ship, for a SUV/MPV the max cost would be 4300 and if you wanna ship, he would knock off the install cost max 700 rs, net cost - 3600 , this is for the windshield, rear glass and all doors. He said its imported 3M film. This cost is the max cost applicable , would be cheaper if you have a smaller car.

i tried the phone number 9998522973, he said that the number is available on paytm and the money can be transferred via so post which he would ship.
Old 4th August 2021, 18:55   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spoke at the shop, his name is Alam Khan, friendly guy, he said he would ship, for a SUV/MPV the max cost would be 4300 and if you wanna ship, he would knock off the install cost max 700 rs, net cost - 3600 , this is for the windshield, rear glass and all doors. He said its imported 3M film. This cost is the max cost applicable , would be cheaper if you have a smaller car.

i tried the phone number 9998522973, he said that the number is available on paytm and the money can be transferred via so post which he would ship.
Thanks for the info and update. Let me know if you are ordering it. Since I only require it for me windshield because my sides and back already have Garware, it might make sense to club our order together depending on where in Mumbai you stay. I have my regular sunfilm chap at Milan subway who can do the installation for us both also.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 03:56   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Thanks for the info and update. Let me know if you are ordering it. Since I only require it for me windshield because my sides and back already have Garware, it might make sense to club our order together depending on where in Mumbai you stay. I have my regular sunfilm chap at Milan subway who can do the installation for us both also.
Heya Mortis,
Thanks for the offer but I'd probably take a few months as the car i am looking for has a high waiting period. Also considering the cost, would make sense to cover all glass areas with this film. How much would your guy charge for installation?
Old 5th August 2021, 22:01   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heya Mortis,
Thanks for the offer but I'd probably take a few months as the car i am looking for has a high waiting period. Also considering the cost, would make sense to cover all glass areas with this film. How much would your guy charge for installation?
Got it. I might just get in touch with him and become the first bakra in case it's not good
It definitely makes sense to do it for the whole car, unfortunately my side and back glasses already have Garware, although if the film is good I would replace all of them. The Dzire gets boiling hot thanks to the thin metal and glass. I'll take the call after testing the film at my guys shop, he has that 3m infrared testing setup.
I think he won't charge more than 1000 bucks for installing film on the whole car.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 21:24   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Got it. I might just get in touch with him and become the first bakra in case it's not good
It definitely makes sense to do it for the whole car, unfortunately my side and back glasses already have Garware, although if the film is good I would replace all of them. The Dzire gets boiling hot thanks to the thin metal and glass. I'll take the call after testing the film at my guys shop, he has that 3m infrared testing setup.
I think he won't charge more than 1000 bucks for installing film on the whole car.
Excellent please test with the meter and if u can use a thermometer and test before and after on a hot day. Would probably help many.
Thanks. Hope this helps many.
Old 8th August 2021, 03:22   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent please test with the meter and if u can use a thermometer and test before and after on a hot day. Would probably help many.
I'd suggest you confirm on some specifics Mortis prior to dealing. Like how much area you are looking to cover and what length film would he send to you. Since the quality was pretty much proven by the video. I'd doubt you'd have any issues there
Old 8th August 2021, 15:03   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
I had enquired with 3M Hyderabad yesterday and they suggested CR70 and quoted 9K for the front windshield. From what I could understand, CR70 is the best in market and has a slight bluish tint. For the sides, they suggested CR40 and it is an additional 14K and is of dark grrenish tint. Rear glass will incur an additional 7K bringing it altogether to 29-30K.

All this is for Mahindra XUV 5OO and since you have not mentioned your vehicle and XUV itself is a SUV, I guess this will be the outer limit.
For safety, I would suggest CR90 for the front.

I used to have such films on my Indigo XL ( on all glasses), and during heavy rains etc, it sometimes used to decrease visibility SLIGHTLY.

Also, for the sides recommended is CR70, as R40 is visible to the naked eye, and that completely leaves u at the mercy of traffic cops' discretion!

Chk below to get a better idea of grades!
Source of image - 3m Singapore website.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-3mautomotivewindowfilmcrystallineseries1.jpg
som9729 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 18:32   #788
BHPian

Quote:
I have CR70 3M on all glasses since quite a few years now. On scorching days my car stays "cool". I recall if I rolled the windows down with direct sunlight my skin would just start itching till I rolled up the glass again. The film is not noticeable much unless somebody wants to look specifically for it and pokes their head inside the car.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 21:41   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
For safety, I would suggest CR90 for the front.

I used to have such films on my Indigo XL ( on all glasses), and during heavy rains etc, it sometimes used to decrease visibility SLIGHTLY.

Also, for the sides recommended is CR70, as R40 is visible to the naked eye, and that completely leaves u at the mercy of traffic cops' discretion!

Chk below to get a better idea of grades!
Source of image - 3m Singapore website.

Attachment 2190326
These would be pretty expensive, Wouldn't they?
Old 8th August 2021, 21:43   #790
BHPian

Quote:
These would be pretty expensive, Wouldn't they?
Original 3M films would be expensive.

I went with a local brand, which felt (to my hand/forearm), reasonably cool.
Maybe 60-70% of 3m film performance, at 20-30% the cost.

I paid a total of 2500rs, back in 2015

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th August 2021 at 10:09. Reason: typo
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 15:39   #791
BHPian

Hey guys! Went through the thread after the sun-film dilemma hit me too! Want to get some sun-protection for my Creta 2020, especially the front passenger side.

First mod was getting a front passenger side roller curtain. My Creta comes with integrated roller curtains for the rear passengers which neatly slide inside the door and hook onto the door frame. I got one installed last week from Swastik Udyog, Noida at Rs. 1000. They are roller curtain manufacturers (for cars, buses and trains) and the only vendor who are willing to supply a single piece instead of a set.

Legal Alternatives to Sun Film-image_20210809_153202.png

Installation was done on-site and free of cost. It took about 10 mins. They only accept cash. The curtains roll out of a horizontal bar (about an inch an half thick) which sticks onto the door. The curtain has a metal hook which can latch onto the window frame. As it lacks a dedicated bracket to hook onto, you cannot have the curtain up when windows are down. With the curtains up, ORVM visibility isn't much affected but the bottom 10% of ORVM is blocked by the roller frame.

You can reach Swastik Udyog at the below coordinates:

Phone - +91 98109 26544

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28.58...082&z=17&hl=en'

Now coming to the windshield, I explored the possibility of getting the windshield itself replaced with AIS UV cut glass from Windshield experts. However, they only have the OEM Creta windshield in supply, which I think isn't UV cut.

I also called up 3M Adhchini for some quotes. They have quoted Rs. 25k for the complete car in CR 70 and Rs. 9K for just the windshield. While I am not keen on getting anything apart from the windshield coated, I wonder if coating the windshield alone makes it more obvious to cops that I have a sun-film installed?

Are there any other alternatives for protecting the from passenger from sun-rays coming through the windshield?
iamitp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:59   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I tried speaking to Alam thrice today, I think hes quite busy and easily distracted. Couldn't have a full proper conversation. All I could gather was that in the "imported" variety there are two types - with and without warranty and he's willing to ship to Mumbai. Couldn't discuss differences, size, cost etc as he wasn't focusing. Will have to try again tomorrow. Seems like a decent chap but my god those 3 calls were stressful for me. Also had to introduce myself again each time I called because he had forgotten in the 2 hr gaps. Let's see how it goes.
Old 10th August 2021, 23:41   #793
BHPian

Quote:
I tried speaking to Alam thrice today, I think hes quite busy and easily distracted. Couldn't have a full proper conversation. All I could gather was that in the "imported" variety there are two types - with and without warranty and he's willing to ship to Mumbai. Couldn't discuss differences, size, cost etc as he wasn't focusing. Will have to try again tomorrow. Seems like a decent chap but my god those 3 calls were stressful for me. Also had to introduce myself again each time I called because he had forgotten in the 2 hr gaps. Let's see how it goes.
Must've been a busy day for him or just bas timing. He was very calm and patient when we spoke and answered everything I had asked about. I mentioned about tbhp and to expect many more calls which he welcomed. Anyways do keep at it and share your experience for everyone to benefit from..
Old 11th August 2021, 00:02   #794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Must've been a busy day for him or just bas timing. He was very calm and patient when we spoke and answered everything I had asked about. I mentioned about tbhp and to expect many more calls which he welcomed. Anyways do keep at it and share your experience for everyone to benefit from..
Yeah I guess he's pretty busy. Called him this afternoon as well. He was definitely calmer but couldn't talk because he was out for a personal errand. He said he remembers my number and will call back when free. Obviously he didn't. I'll try one last time tomorrow otherwise I doubt I will order from him. Imagine the stress of I had transferred him cash and couldn't get in touch with him post that.
Also, I don't believe the imported film would be suitable for the windshield. I checked AliExpress for these nano ceramic films and the most common width was 50cm or 20inches. Larger width sheets of 750mm were in the ballpark of 4000 or so for a windshield size piece. Double checked the video and indeed the imported film used on the side glasses and rear did look about 50cm wide. I'll have to measure my windshield. It's definitely larger than 20 inches but if the 20 inch point comes close to the strip where IRVM is fitted and my Fastag then I still might get it and put an old school darker sunfilm strip on top.
Old 11th August 2021, 16:11   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Has anyone tried the automatic (pull-up) sunshade from Carhatke?

I'm in search of rear window sunshades for my Sonet. I found one on Carhatke but the pictures they've shown are generic, and therefore I have no clue about the fit/quality. I contacted them to see if they can share a real picture but they didn't.

Attachment 2181641
https://carhatke.com/automatic-side-...-for-kia-sonet

They've listed the same for almost all the cars,
https://carhatke.com/index.php?route...dow%20sunshade

If not the same, any pointers to similar products would really help.
I had bought this set, which includes a beige coloured screen for the rear windshield, from an accessories store here in Mumbai, perhaps in 2014, just after I got my new Fiesta Classic. It's still working well, so I have no complaints about it. The only downside is that the panels are screwed into the top of the plastic body of each door, just inside the glass. But then, the shades stay secure, so I have no problems on that score. My two rear shades stay up almost permanently, since I am generally alone, or at the most, with my wife and the front shades go up when I park the car. The rear windshield shade goes up when I park in a sunny spot, along with a folding reflective sheet for the front windshield. A little care and it should last a long time.
FarPatel is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks