Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 13:25   #1
BHPian

Power Steering Install

Is it possible to install power steering in a car..which is non power steered. how much would it cost and would the effects be as good as the ones which comes from company.... has anyone tried it..
Old 13th June 2007, 14:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Invincible7. Yes it is possible to install a power steering in a non power assist car. Firstly which car are you thinking of installing it in? The job in any car is going to cost you and its not going to be cheap. What the cost is going to be, depends on the car and which type of unit you want to install but let me inform you that in the case of a car that has two variants in the market, one power assist and the other non power assist, its cheaper to get it from the company than try to buy the lower end version and fit the power steering yourself. The cost can be alarming to say the least in DIY cases.
Points to consider when undertaking such an install:
One will have to see what type of steering system the car has, viz: Worm & Sector, Recirculating Ball or the Rack and Pinion type.
The power steering can be Electronic/Electricie microprocessor based which is seen in cars like the Maruti etc and Hydraulic/Pump type seen in the Mercedes, Contessa etc. Out of the two the electric power steering is more efficient as it uses its power only when the steering wheel is turned as opposed to the hydraulic type, where the hydraulic pump is in action all the time right from the time the car is started, continously robbing power from the engine.
For the hydraulic type one would need a pump, a custom made bracket to fix the pump, pulley, reservoir, hoses, and changes to the rack etc, etc, etc.
I have seen a premier padmini with a power steering and have recently seen an install in a 80's land rover defender. They work beautifully but was it worth the headache?
One has to answer the following questions before thinking of such an install
1) What is the car you are looking to install this unit to and is it a Front wheel drive or a Rear wheel drive or a Four wheel drive.
2) Does that car come with a power assist variant also? (if the answer is yes, then this is a relatively easier job)
3) Will the install justify the expense?
There are many power steering manufacturers in India. The easiest way to find them would be to do a google search.
Nothing is impossible in the era of Engine swaps and power upgrades depends on how badly you want it and what you want to spend on it.
Fire of any further queries you might have, any of us will be glad to answer them.

Last edited by V-16 : 13th June 2007 at 14:07.
Old 13th June 2007, 14:14   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the info V-16.. i am looking for Esteem.. got an old model 97.. and yes it comes with a power variant.. am thinking on the lines .. if that can be a successful install and how much would it cost.. and whether that would be worth or not.....
Old 13th June 2007, 14:20   #4
BHPian

if it is esteem, buy the complete spare part kit for power steering & get it installed by a competent mechanic.

I am sure if not bracket, atleast mounting provisions should be there , as body shell is same for all variants.
Old 13th June 2007, 14:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Handy for parking, but for most driving, power steering is really not such a big deal.

I drove my late mum's Nissan Micra for a couple of months in UK after her death. It had now PAS.

At first I wondered how I would cope, let alone how a woman in her eighties had been coping. After a week I didn't really notice it.

(in fact, after a week I wondered why I'd been wasting my money pouring expensive petrol into a 2 ltr engine for the previous couple of years, but that's another story.)
Old 13th June 2007, 16:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Thanks for the info V-16.. i am looking for Esteem.. got an old model 97.. and yes it comes with a power variant.. am thinking on the lines .. if that can be a successful install and how much would it cost.. and whether that would be worth or not.....
It should be relatively easier on an esteem. The cost factor would be around 25,000/- including everything, labour included but then by doing that if you think its going to enhance the sale value of the car you're mistaken. If not really necessarry, dont do it. Sell the car and upgrade to the power assisted version.
Old 13th June 2007, 16:21   #7
BHPian

well i was earlier thinking of selling the car.. but now recently i went and had a good amount of money poured in for Dent/ Paint work.. no plans to sell it as its not having any kinds of issues and is hassle free and has been with us for long time..
Old 13th June 2007, 16:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
well i was earlier thinking of selling the car.. but now recently i went and had a good amount of money poured in for Dent/ Paint work.. no plans to sell it as its not having any kinds of issues and is hassle free and has been with us for long time..
I that case go ahead and do it. I would suggest taking a look at the second hand market for a used power steering. One would get it easily in the "Chor Bazaar" area of Delhi and it would be a fraction of the cost of the new one. Get a good mechanic to have a look at it when you buy it.
Old 13th June 2007, 16:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

i also got this idea few years ago

i went to a spare part shop and asked what all i need for the PS and in the end a total of 30K was made without labour and fitting

and then i went to my mechanic he siad i will always have some problem

so i dropped the idea

he said the labour would be around 6-7 k so in the end i have 2 spend 40k

so spending around 40k on a 97 esteem which is worth 70 k-1lac at the most is not a good idea

Last edited by manikjeet : 13th June 2007 at 16:35.
Old 13th June 2007, 16:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
i also got this idea few years ago

i went to a spare part shop and asked what all i need for the PS and in the end a total of 30K was made without labour and fitting

and then i went to my mechanic he siad i will always have some problem

so i dropped the idea

he said the labour would be around 6-7 k so in the end i have 2 spend 40k

so spending around 40k on a 97 esteem which is worth 70 k-1lac at the most is not a good idea
I think the price quoted for a second hand power steering unit to you was very high. Anyways it differs from city to city. Ive had a power steering install done on a mercedes from the chor bazaar without any problems for as much as 30K including labour. Also depends on the mechanic. But i agree with you that spending even 25k on this car means spending 1/3rd of its price on a power steering which will not even enhance the resale velue. But if you feel that strongly about it go ahead Invincible7
Old 13th June 2007, 16:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I think the price quoted for a second hand power steering unit to you was very high.
the price was for new parts and not second hand

at that time my car was new so didn't want to get second hand parts
Old 13th June 2007, 16:52   #12
BHPian

I was quoted 36000 for PS install on '97 Zen.Roughly half the price for the components are remaining for the labour I believe.
Old 13th June 2007, 17:05   #13
BHPian

hmm well yeah the prices are steap.. but i think it depends how you want to keep your car irrespective of its market value.. well will need to think on this.. as now i have a fair idea how much money this needs...thanks guys..
Old 13th June 2007, 17:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Get an used PS kit & fit it, you will save a lot of money. I am saying this since your car is a 1997 model & it is not worth spending too much on it. PS is good, but not that important in an esteem.
Old 13th June 2007, 17:22   #15
BHPian

I had got a similar conversion done in my friends zen a year back, from mayapuri, from a totaled Zen Lxi. Actually bought the complete stearing system for about 7k and they did a install for about 5k. it was good in terms of the objective achived but the workmanship could have been better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks