Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2022, 15:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Is it worth detailing an old car? | Observations on detailing a 12-year old Skoda Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Are there any downsides to leaving a car with swirls and scratches aside from aesthetic considerations?

Is there any difference between detailing every six months, one year, two years and five years? I always thought that regular detailing also takes the top layer of clear coat off so tend to avoid doing it unless the car looks really bad.
No downsides to leaving minor scratches/swirls in the clearcoat (except it looks ugly) deep scratches that penetrate the paint should be touched up to prevent surface rust. Also don’t leave bird droppings and tree sap sitting on the paint as these are acidic and will stain/etch into the paintwork.

Paint polishing is an abrasive process, no way to achieve correction without it. A good detailer will however use a paint thickness gauge and remove very small amounts of clearcoat (max 4-5 microns) which is under 10% of the paint systems total clearcoat thickness (~50 microns). On newer/well maintained cars it should ideally be under 2.5 microns.

Once your paint is corrected, prevention is always better than cure, follow safe wash techniques and you won’t have to polish paint periodically as it won’t get scratched/swirled in the first place.

Last edited by AJ56 : 30th May 2022 at 15:23.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 16:06   #17
KGS
BHPian

Re: Is it worth detailing an old car? | Observations on detailing a 12-year old Skoda Laura

Great end result Joshua. Wish your ride remains this shiny always.

I was in a similar situation some time back. While maintaining car was super easy during lockdown due to abundant time and low usage. But since start of 2022 things are relatively settled and offices have started.

So, I had a BMW 3 series grey colour which was well maintained mechanically (not a single advisory in the yearly MOT tests) , but there were small scratches and dents. It started looking like an old beauty which was head turner in its days but now ready for retirement with wrinkles all over.

So, taking help from TBHP and Youtube, I gathered the courage to start my DIY on car detailing. I ordered Meguair's compound , polish and wax. Additionally wheel cleaner and tyre shine was also ordered with a generous supporting group of towels , brushes and applicator pads.

It was back breaking but definitely worth it. I started with giving the car a good wash and making the tyres ready on one evening and next early morning I started with compound, then polish and then wax. My neighbours were joking if I was working on my car whole night

However, end result was more than satisfying, most of the colour fading, small & light scratches were gone. Shine was beyond expectation and my 5 year old was delighted to see the shiny car parked next to our house. Unfortunately I missed to click a pic right away and the shine is now history.
KGS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 16:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Personal opinion - but for me it is more worth to detail an old car than a new one. I never do any detailing or ceramic coating for my new car, rather will do regular polishing (once in 18 months) and water wash twice a month. Once the car crosses 4 to 5 years will do a detailing to get that new look.
And totally against spending a lakh + in PPF too, do not see the worth at all. Probably I might put in the bumper edges but not more than that.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:36   #19
BHPian

The inside of a car is as if not more important than the outside. Typically for cars this old with faux leather seats, there will be a lot of cuts scrapes and abrasions on the driver's side. Best to simply buy new oem seat covers for the whole car or at the very least the drivers side. That new car feeling doesn't work well when the paint is glistening and the interiors look like a 3rd class unreserverd non ac compartment and those are pretty clean anyway.
Valhalla1979 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 19:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_Ray View Post
anyone with the same dilemma as me - is it worth detailing your old car?
---
So yes, while the work to maintain the car looking fresh has increased, the fresh look makes it worth the effort!
The dilemma of getting one's car detailed or not, is a very good problem to solve, and if you ask me, like all others have said - go for it eyes closed!

I was in a similar dilemma with my (ex) Vento crossing the 60,000 km mark. But glad that I overcame it and went ahead with the 'mid-life' detailing.

Couple of pics for your viewing pleasure:-

Ll-20190106_102617.jpg

Ll-20190106_101155.jpg

The pleasure of going ahead with the decision, is far greater than any concern that you might encounter or have!

Cheers.
JoshMachine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 22:34   #21

Personally feel, detailing an old car is giving it a midlife uplift. Like in any relationship you need to kindle the bond with the car, especially if your holding on to it for longer time. Fresh looking exterior and neutral smelling interior will make you drive more happily for a longer time.
Old 31st May 2022, 00:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by casnov View Post
I need to get it done for my Jetta. People from Bangalore suggest me a good place to get it done? It would be even great if the place is in North Bangalore.
+1. Some one pretty please, but South Bangalore

I am contemplating for my 5 year old Verna but not sure to go to a friendly neighbour hood detailer or a more established one.
Old 31st May 2022, 11:12   #23
BHPian

There is no end to detailing.Depends on the will and ability to digest the bill. All said, its pure joy once the car comes out of the detailing studio..

then after a moments joy only to be greated by unexpected rains , slushy roads and all pervasive soot and dust..

May the Detailing tribe increase
balajisb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 13:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Attachment 2313746
Nothing like a black car i.e. only when its clean!
Excellent result Joshua. The looks are to die for. What were the costs involved? I'm thinking of detailing my blue Ciaz to remove the swirl marks and some superficial dents.
rachitarora1985 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 18:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I need to get it done for my Jetta. People from Bangalore suggest me a good place to get it done? It would be even great if the place is in North Bangalore.
You could try out Ultimate Detailerz at Jakkur. I got my cars detailed there a couple of years back.
Zen Av8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 12:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post

I am contemplating for my 5 year old Verna but not sure to go to a friendly neighbour hood detailer or a more established one.
https://g.page/guy-car-steamer?share (Guy Car Steamer) He should be able to help.
abhisheksircar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 16:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The downsides,...
...Secondly the dust! A car can remain 'clean' for not more than 2 hours, before a layer of dust forms on it.
Get a Jopasu or similar microfiber duster which is the most convenient way to clean dust with minimal damage (swirls). I have been using this for over 8+ years (The Jopasu duster lasts about a year with alternate day dusting) and am very happy with the results.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 07:09   #28
BHPian

@Joshua_Ray, the car looks new but for those dents. the old skoda cars have an elegant design which is not outdated till date. Also can you mention the cost incurred? Since I am from Chennai too and thinking of detailing my car for sometime, the idea on cost can help me plan / decide.
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 16:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post

You should try checking with Autopad
This is run by two brothers - young & dynamic. Vatsal & Vedansh.
I got my GT PPF'd here along with a friends 330i

https://theautopad.com/contact/

they are in Jayanagar 2nd block - close to Ramakrishna Hospital
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 00:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going to our homepage today. Would love to see a long-term ownership review of your car as many of us are fans of buying the right car, then keeping it for a decade (or over).
Thanks so much GTO! Looking forward to sharing my ownership experience with this esteemed forum very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
That 50/50 split of a 12 year old BLACK car truly is crazy! I was blown away!
Yes! The results really surprised me as well. I've never had my cars polished before, so this was a great first experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Coincidently i did the detailing for my Laura 2 weeks back.
It looks amazing! Especially in this color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
The car looks brand new! You took me back to 2011 when this, the Jetta and the Cruze were ruling the 10-20 lakh segments!
Wonder what are the mods you've planned for the Laura after all your experiments in the Ikon!
Thanks so much Turbohead! In terms of mods... I'll keep the suspense for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Very interesting thread and one that I think most BHPians will unanimously agree with
...loved seeing the photos of the Laura on this thread, truly these cars are evergreen machines and still a stunner after all these years!
Thanks so much AKSarkar1! Yes, they are getting quite rare now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Your post is bang on time. I was in 2 minds whether to get my 5 1/2 year old Red Brezza detailed. Seeing the pics, I am convinced that it's now time.
Your car looks drool.
Yep! There is no better time than Now! Life lesson learnt for sure. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
The final shine was WOW... I also have a 10yr old purple XUV and I think its high time I got some detailing done. As the paint has started looking drab. So how much does this Step1 vs Step 3 cost...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
@Joshua_Ray, the car looks new but for those dents. the old skoda cars have an elegant design which is not outdated till date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachitarora1985 View Post
Excellent result Joshua. The looks are to die for. What were the costs involved? I'm thinking of detailing my blue Ciaz to remove the swirl marks and some superficial dents.
Thanks buddy FundaG, ChandraSekar & rachitarora! Step 1 was around 3k. Step 3 quote will vary depending on the condition of the car and the amount of 'correction' needed. The quote was around 15k for me.
Dent removal would be more, but I had too many to remove sadly, 90% dents were there already when I purchased the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Great end result Joshua. Wish your ride remains this shiny always.
Thanks so much KGS! Yes, i'm trying my best to maintain it that way - much to the disgust of our car cleaning person
Do post some pics of the Beemer when it gets polished again, would love to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla1979 View Post
The inside of a car is as if not more important than the outside.
Very true, but interiors are easy to maintain as per my experience! Strict rules for passengers and careful planning of parking spots should do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Get a Jopasu or similar microfiber duster which is the most convenient way to clean dust with minimal damage (swirls).
I did have one, but the detailer mentioned that it will also scratch the paint...
Joshua_Ray is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks