Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 17:18   #1

Seat Covers for cars with front seat airbags: Is it safe?

I am looking for airbag compliant seat covers for Kia Seltos HTK Plus Diesel IMT. Looked at many posts on the forum but this topic is vaguely covered which is why, I am unable to reach a conclusion. Would be great help if someone who has installed them on their car could point me in the correct direction.

Note:
  1. Kia dealership advising against putting seat cover.
  2. Aftermarket Shop owners are saying that they can do it without affecting the airbag sensor but this post has me worried. link (Kia Seltos - Airbag sensor failure when fixing new seat covers)
mayank612722 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 21:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Seat Covers for cars with front seat airbags: Is it safe?

The short and sweet advice would be: DO NOT install ANY seat cover.

Airbag compliant seat covers are supposed to have specially treated (weak) stitching at the point where the airbag deploys, to enable the airbag to rip through the stitching when it explodes. However, you can never be sure whether the stitching will work as intended. The original seat stitching has been specially made and tested to rip off the stitching on airbag explosive deployment, but who can test & guarantee the quality of stitching in an after-market accessory seat cover?
SS-Traveller is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 08:07   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with SS-Traveller. In critical areas (airbags, brake modifications etc.), I don't trust the after-market at all. Avoid seat covers. There are some upholstery vendors who will change the seat fabric / leather, but avoid them as well if your car has seat airbags.

OEM seats are pretty good, be it cloth or leather. In the last 20 years, I haven't installed seat covers in any of my cars.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 14:07   #4
BHPian

Even I am looking for seat covers for my Ecosport Titanium AT, however as mentioned by SS - Traveller & GTO I am not comfortable with the aftermarket seat covers claiming to be airbags friendly( the ones where accessories shop claims the stitching is weak). I bought this variant specially for six airbags and I wouldn’t take that risk of using seat covers which would leave airbags useless. However there are another type of seat covers in which the sides of the seats are left open. I am thinking about installing them. You may look for the same.
nik0502 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 13:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank612722 View Post
I am looking for airbag compliant seat covers for Kia Seltos HTK Plus Diesel IMT.
Hello,

Just wanted to ask and clarify. Can you confirm that your side airbag is like seen in the picture below or does it have the airbag on the B pillar or your car?

Seat Covers for cars with front seat airbags: Is it safe?-whatsapp-image-20220811-12.41.13-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Dippy : 11th August 2022 at 13:47.
Dippy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 09:35   #6
BHPian

I too am in a dilema as my Brezza 2022 is with six airbags and whether to go for seat covers or not. The dealer says do it to protect the seat and airbags but my friend says no.
Old 17th August 2022, 01:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Just wanted to ask and clarify. Can you confirm that your side airbag is like seen in the picture below or does it have the airbag on the B pillar or your car?
Apologies for the late response I was out for the long weekend. It's a similar setup to the one you've shared (see below).

Seat Covers for cars with front seat airbags: Is it safe?-img20220816wa0013.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 17th August 2022 at 02:03. Reason: Quote trimmed.
mayank612722 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 07:40   #8
BHPian

Avoid if possible. The Nexa guys had offered me Suzuki approved seat covers as an optional accessory for my 2022 Baleno (Alpha). I had declined as I don't want to take any chances.

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 17th August 2022 at 07:43.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 12:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMerchant View Post
I too am in a dilema as my Brezza 2022 is with six airbags and whether to go for seat covers or not. The dealer says do it to protect the seat and airbags but my friend says no.
Don't do it.

Airbags are incredibly controlled explosions within your cabin. They aren't something to be messed around with.

The dealer probably knows very little about how airbags work, and not to mention he is incentivized by the sale of the seat covers.

Quote:
It's a similar setup to the one you've shared (see below).
Wow, interesting that a 4 airbag setup has the additional 2 on the seat, rather than the B-pillar (curtain).

Wonder if the reason for this is cost saving? As a seat airbag is primarily for 1 front passenger only, whilst a (bigger) curtain airbag would provide coverage for both front and rear passengers.

Either way : Kia Seltos now gets 6 airbags, rear disc brakes as standard
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Avoid if possible. The Nexa guys had offered me Suzuki approved seat covers as an optional accessory for my 2022 Baleno (Alpha). I had declined as I don't want to take any chances.
The official Nexa seat covers for 2022 Baleno Zeta and Alpha variants have completely open side bolsters. So, it wont affect airbag deployment and I personally have seen this seat covers in my cousin's Baleno.

Picture of the seat cover.
Name:  990j0m55tb3020_2jpg.jpg
Views: 8191
Size:  78.5 KB

However, I wouldn't recommend aftermarket seat covers.
Ptr11s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptr11s View Post
Picture of the seat cover
Thanks for the info. Any idea on the price of the covers?
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Thanks for the info. Any idea on the price of the covers?
It starts from ₹7k.

Maruti Suzuki genuine accessories links for the seat covers:
https://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine...90j0m55ts3-020
https://www.marutisuzuki.com/genuine...90j0m55ts3-010

Quote:
I am looking for airbag compliant seat covers for Kia Seltos HTK Plus Diesel IMT.
Kia have no seat covers listed in there official accessory list as of now. So, the above Baleno 'type' seat covers(with open side bolsters) might be the only option if you want to go in the after-market route. Again, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.
Ptr11s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 16:19   #13
jsl
BHPian

I have installed after market AUTOFORM SEAT COVERS in my 2022 TOYOTA GLANZA G AMT as these are specially made for it and have special cuts made for the side airbags, so I will suggest one can install aftermarket seat covers if they are specially made for the car.
jsl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:01   #14

Re: Seat Covers for cars with front seat airbags: Is it safe?

I concur with all the advise of not installing the seat covers. It does not make sense to take any chances mess around with your life esp. having invested in a car with 4/6 airbags.

I checked my Seltos GTX, it has airbag label on the pillar side of both the front seats. There is also airbag on a notch above the seat belt on both the B pillars.
rajnishkapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 19:29   #15
BHPian

Re: Seat Covers for cars with front seat airbags: Is it safe?

Who has gone to see if specific seat covers work with airbags or not. Until you actually crash the car. If the car has the airbag sign on the seat DO NOT put any seat covers! Period. Trying to save the fabric/ leather or change the looks is definitely not worth risking your life.
KKapadia is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks