Team-BHP - Immobilizer - Worth it??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Immobilizer - Worth it?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/25643-immobilizer-worth-3.html)

VMG - When I posed the same question to the Cedia sales executive, he was not very confident. He told me that there is a tag number etc., but when I asked him how this number is interpreted by the engine and whether there is a chip etc., he did not know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cediafan (Post 822132)
but when I asked him how this number is interpreted by the engine and whether there is a chip etc., he did not know.

Just try the simple experiment by getting a duplicate key made from the market.
And, AFAIK, there is an icon in the meters that should indicate whether ECU is ready for starting. In Marutis there is a padlock icon, and it should not flash (with genuine key) on turning on the ignition.

Even for an iCATS car, a duplicate is handy for the eventuality where you lock yourself out of the car!

I guess I will have to do that once I get my car. I was really hoping someone TBHP will do that first :D

I too have the same question. My sales person has confidently told me that there is no immobilizer in cedia. He also said that Mitsu used to offer Immobilizer on Lancer, but then after multiple mal-function complaints from customers they discontinued the system.

I have sent a mail to customer care @ HM asking for the information. Will post it, the moment they get back.

Spoke to the servce guy today. He said we can make a duplicate key only the remote does not work(remote comes along with the key). That means,
immoblizer is not in Cedia. sorry:

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Threads merged. Please perform a forum search before starting new threads. Our search is very accurate.

Thanks

We all know of cars that were stolen even with immobilizers and intrusion alarms fitted.
This happens with 'retro-fitted' systems, particularly if they are not TRULY high tech.
Those that fit them (the chaps at garages and workshops) also know how to defeat them.
This special knowledge is rapidly disseminated and in no time at all every self respecting car thief has acquired the skills and the equipment. :eek:

It is only systems like the iCATS - integrated/embedded - that offer respite from thefts. But not forever. It is only a matter of time before our car thieves turn high tech enough to defeat it.
That is why car makers worldwide are bringing in biometrics into their cars' theft prevention systems.
How long before even this stands 'cracked/hacked'?!

Where, then, is the solution?

VMG - I am not sure HM sales guys know what they are talking. Let's wait for visu03's email reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 823333)
We all know of cars that were stolen even with immobilizers and intrusion alarms fitted.
This happens with 'retro-fitted' systems, particularly if they are not TRULY high tech.
Those that fit them (the chaps at garages and workshops) also know how to defeat them.
This special knowledge is rapidly disseminated and in no time at all every self respecting car thief has acquired the skills and the equipment. :eek:

It is only systems like the iCATS - integrated/embedded - that offer respite from thefts. But not forever. It is only a matter of time before our car thieves turn high tech enough to defeat it.
That is why car makers worldwide are bringing in biometrics into their cars' theft prevention systems.
How long before even this stands 'cracked/hacked'?!

Where, then, is the solution?

You sure? I thought the immobilizer was some where inside the engine and hence you are safe and the key cannot be duplicated and hence ..

right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 823611)
You sure? I thought the immobilizer was some where inside the engine and hence you are safe and the key cannot be duplicated and hence ..

right?

To give you a simple/representative example, this was offered by some of the accessories makers in India:
A relay was fitted (usually on top of the starter casing itself!) to pevent application of self-starter unless 'authorized' by the security system.

How difficult do you think it would be to defeat this 'immobilizer'?

Modern factory Engine Control Units (ECU) come equipped with engine immobiliser functions in order to deter theft of the vehicle. These immobiliser functions have to be defeated in order to successfully transplant a modern engine into another automobile. The only choices available until now were to either use costly aftermarket management systems or to install the donor vehicle's instrument cluster and associated immobiliser components.

source : Revo Immobiliser Defeat Code

Its from REVOTECHNIK, one of the world largest engine management system company. They have these serial port switches which disable the ECU itself.

-----Original Message-----
From: customersupport [mailto:customersupport@hindustan-motors.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 1:55 PM
To: Guntupalli, Vishwam
Subject: Re: Information required - Cedia Immobilizer

Dear Mr Vishwam,

The current model of Cedia does not have an immobilizer.
Secondly, it is also not possible to program the Central Locking System
(CLS) for any sound indication, as Cedia does not have Security Alarm System.

Hope we have clarified your points.
Regards.

Well, at least they have clarified it. I'll start looking for a gear lock now as I don't want to fit an immobilizer and void the warranty.
Any suggestions?

Fitting a security system/immobilizer does not void the warranty if done through authorized dealers. Do check with your dealer.