Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 11:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Michelin Tyre Inflator Review (Model 12266)

I have two of these, michelin 12266 tyre inflators, the first one bought in 2019, and the second in 2021, both are working flawlessly. Only issue with the first one is that the preset buttons don’t work on the first go, you have to press and hold the (-) button to make them work. But it doesn’t bother me much as I keep it in my Diesel Creta, and maintain same pressure of 35psi in all four tyres, and once set at a value, it remains there, even after switching off. The one bought in 2021 works fine, kept in the Ignis, where front and rear pressure value is different. Overall satisfied with the product.
Old 11th November 2022, 11:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Michelin Programmable Fast Flow Digital Tyre Inflator Review
Great review. I have this same model for more than 7 years now. It has never let me down. I used to routinely top up air with this. Once I had a really bad puncture which kept leaking and in a 400km drive I had to refill air about 5 times. This inflator was a life saver to reach home. Also for the Endeavour, once I had a full flat tyre and this did a good job of filling to 35 from zero. Only thing I had to do was to jack up ( to help the tyre regain its shape before filling. Trying straight to fill on full flat could probably have popped the tyre out of its place even if this could handle it. I suspect, this cannot push that much air anyway. )

Overall it is a great inflator to keep in your boot. I love how it neatly folds up and stay in the box. Cord length is decent for sedans. For SUVs, it may not reach back tyre from the driver console though. This is something to think about. On Endeavour, there are 12V sockets in the middle row and in the boot. So this was not an issue for me. The screw on nozzle is a slight annoyance. On the way out, there is one spot, where it leaks some air. Have to be quick a unscrew to avoid air escaping.

Last edited by Ranger747 : 11th November 2022 at 11:15.
Old 11th November 2022, 11:21   #18
BHPian

I don't trust electric tyre inflator for emergency situation. So I bought manual double barrel footpump from Michelin. Never ever had a flat tyre. I had used it only for top ups. Increase in 1 Ps used to need 6-7 pump strokes for Storme, while the smaller hatchback needs 5 pump strokes for 1 Ps increase.

https://www.amazon.in/Michelin-12209.../dp/B00IOQ1LR8

The PS reading on analog meter is accurate and matches with Michelin tyre Pressure gauge.

https://www.amazon.in/Digital-Tire-T.../dp/B094VCKJTY
speed79 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 11:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Then, one must ensure that there is a 12V power socket around. While most cars have a 12V socket, those trying to inflate tyres of motorcycles, bicycles and items such as footballs could find powering the inflator difficult.
Try using one of these AC to DC converters. I've been using them for a few years and have no complaints so far. The only catch is that you need to have a normal power socket (wall socket) in the vicinity.

This will help you to power the inflator without any help from your car's battery, thus preserving the battery for it's primary use
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Tyre Inflator Review (Model 12266)-ac-dc.png  

SilverMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 12:16   #20
BHPian

I been using the same for the past 6 years or so. That time the price was nearly 5k. But it's held up well except for the power adapter where I had to change the spring else the metal contact wouldn't come out of it.
But anyone has an idea how accurate the readings are? I usually put one PSI extra to be sure (and to compensate for the ight air loss when it's being unscrewed from the tyre valve.
Old 11th November 2022, 13:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
+1 to VIAIR

I've been using a Viair 88P since February 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 88P you can inflate a small truck or bus. lol.
+2 to Viar.

I too have 88P since April 2013. I put this to use every week just to top off 5 to 10 PSI and adjust correct PSI using JACO Tire pressure gague.

Apart from winding the cables other issue I find is its gauge isn't exactly accurate, thus I use separate gauge. Built in fuse blown twice, so I have stock of 20amps blade fuse just in-case.

Prior to Viar products I have used several 12V products (branded) all of which conked off due to heat, makes terrible noise, blows Fuse.

Apart from how many PSI you can inflate other difference between 87P vs 88P is,

-87P has duty cycle of 20min at 30PSI (20min use/40 min rest) where as 88P has 25mon @30PSI (25min use/35min rest). This means 88P can run more and need less cooling time compared to 87p.
This could be useful if you have many vehicle to top up.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 11th November 2022 at 13:40. Reason: Added difference between 87Pvs 88P
RaguHolla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 14:24   #22

I have the Michelin 12206 Analogue Double Barrel Foot Pump Inflator purchased from Amazon in Feb 2021. Earlier I had ordered the 12266 which you have mentioned but cancelled it since I was worried if it blew the car fuse.

Since the 12206 (below Image) has a double barrel, it fills air fast. Whats more, the analogue pressure gauge is very accurate (confirmed this with a Continental tyre shop when making wheel alignment/balancing). Later Michelin came up with a Digital gauge too.

One more advantage of the manual pump is, it is very portable (It also helps me to fill air in bicycle Tyres and my kids football/basketball).

Name:  Michelin.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  77.0 KB
kartikh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 14:39   #23
BHPian

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can portable tyre inflators refill nitrogen as well?
Old 11th November 2022, 15:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep M View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can portable tyre inflators refill nitrogen as well?
Ofcourse they do. 78% air is nitrogen. So they'll refill almost 8/10 parts nitrogen in your tyre.
batish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 15:29   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikh View Post
I have the Michelin 12206 Analogue Double Barrel Foot Pump Inflator purchased from Amazon in Feb 2021.

Since the 12206 (below Image) has a double barrel, it fills air fast. Whats more, the analogue pressure gauge is very accurate (confirmed this with a Continental tyre shop when making wheel alignment/balancing). Later Michelin came up with a Digital gauge too.
  1. So how many strokes are needed to top-up from 28 to 32 PSI?
  2. Have you tested it with 2 wheeler tyres? Some of my friends have returned it because its difficult to plug it into 2 wheeler tyre valves
  3. Is it difficult to top up higher PSIs like 40 PSI
Old 11th November 2022, 15:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
  2. Have you tested it with 2 wheeler tyres? Some of my friends have returned it because its difficult to plug it into 2 wheeler tyre valves
I haven't calculated it, but in my car Swift Dzire Zxi (which needs 29PSI), I usually fill air every 4 weeks. Usually at the end of 4 weeks tyre pressure has reached around 26-27 PSI, so for me it takes around 8-10 strokes to get it to 29 PSI.

I also fill air in my 2 wheeler every month, and I did not face any issue while filling air in the tyre, if the 2 wheeler tyre valve has no cap to it and is a bit dirty, just apply a drop of oil to the scooter tyre valve thread - then it becomes very easy to connect the tyre inflator to it.

I have filled air in my scooter rear tyre till 36 PSI (I haven't tried filling till 40 PSI), however I did not notice any difference while filling air till 36 PSI.
kartikh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:19   #27
BHPian

I have been using the Xiaomi portable air compressor for the last two years. I was confused between this Michellin 12266 and the xiaomi, but I went with the later one as I didn't wanted to fumble around with all the wires. Sure the Michellin would be the ideal solution when you have to fill up a tyre from zero, but the xioami is way quicker in doing those quick pressure checks and refills. It comes with auto cut of and multiple modes for cars, motorcycles, bicycle and toys. Only thing is that you have to remember to keep it charged, which can be done even with a power bank.
https://www.amazon.in/Xiaomi-Portabl...ef=mp_s_a_1_3?

Name:  0AF8CFEDDCD94B80906705F50673E265.jpeg
Views: 1600
Size:  14.2 KB
kar_thikr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 16:22   #28
BHPian

Tyre inflators along with TPMS are a must, I was once saved by them during night drive in Himachal.

I have two of them

One from TUSA (image below) which is my current favorite and one from Windtek (Bought 7 years ago and still works)
Old 11th November 2022, 16:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
* I have this double barrel Michelin model, and I have calculated the strokes. For a car like Tata Vista it takes about 5 foot pumps for 1 PSI increase. So it will take about 20 strokes for 28 to 32 PSI in small car. In Safari Storme, it used to require about 7 strokes per PSI increase.

* Never tried on 2-wheelers.

* In Storme I used to fill till 33 PSI. Which car would need 40 PSI?
Old 11th November 2022, 17:30   #30
BHPian

On my 4x4 i have a permanently installed ARB compressor connected to battery directly.
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Tyre Inflator Review (Model 12266)-whatsapp-image-20221111-3.58.30-pm.jpeg  

wheeledwanderer is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks