Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 18:38   #1
BHPian

Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?

Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?

Ventilated seats are one of the most demanded features in India (maybe after the sunroof ) and rightfully so. When I was shopping around for a car in 2021, this was one of the top features I was looking to have in my car. But after a fair battle between the contenders, I chose to go with XUV300 that does not have ventilated seats.

I was okay to settle for this but then chanced upon a post on the Citroen C5 Aircross Review thread that piqued my interest on aftermarket accessories. I had in fact searched this earlier but nothing stood out and had stopped looking for options.

I searched again and came across this option on Amazon - RIGGEAR Ventilated Seat Cover

I had a Bangalore to Mumbai drive coming up and I was excited to test something like this out as this would be the perfect usecase for ventilated seats.

But as it is common with small seller listings on Amazon, the price is likely to be inflated. So, some further searches later, I contacted the seller directly to purchase and got a much better deal and a same day delivery as well (since they have a warehouse located in Bangalore). Placed the order at 4pm and I got the product delivered at 8pm.

I have only bought the Driver side seat cover. Riggear also sells a co-driver seat cover as a separate unit.

Product Features
  1. Leatherette + Breathable Mesh Fabric material construction
  2. Uses a 5+5 fan system; that is, 5 fans for the back and 5 fans for the bottom
  3. Universal fitment to most cars
  4. 3 stages of fan control. This button doubles as the power on/off button as well and has an integrated LED indicator that glows Red for high speed, Green for medium and Blue for low speed

Unboxing

The product came nicely packed in a large flat box. The box contains:
  1. Ventilated Seat Cover for Driver
  2. A set of manual and instructions (along with product disclaimers)
  3. A power cable with a 12V plug; the plug has to output wires. So the same can be used to power the co-passenger seat cover as well (if bought)

Here's a 1 minute montage of the unboxing.

Fitting it on my car

This is dead easy to fit on any car. The instructions along with the product are very clear. There are 2 disc shaped plastic clips which needs to be squeezed through the gap between seat back and seat bottom. This holds the seat cover close to the seat. My car has a flap at the bottom that is held by two straps with a clip, which can be easily removed to access the gap. Loop the neck strap of seat cover around the head rests and voila, you're done.

Notice how the disc shaped retainer is locking the cover in position
Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?-d5b3e75a6fb34ec989551136d83897af.jpeg

Looks neat. Even though the cover is Black in color (only available color) it doesn't look off with the Beige interiors.
Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?-9c5b772c6a7a4483b1ef81ab7299c562.jpeg

Based on the clearance from side bolsters, looks like it will not foul with Airbag mechanism
Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?-d42e954918af4a3d9e794fac7b8ae84f.jpeg

My Review after using it for 1000+ km

Ergonomics/comfort:
  • The seat cover has a thin profile, however it will still alter your driving position completely. You’ll need to adjust everything to find a new position that works for you.
  • The anti-slip material ensures there is no sliding around during ingress/egress or while operating the pedals. This is super useful and not once in the 1000km drive did it move.
  • The button for fan control is also ergonomically located, just below the left leg thigh and doesn't foul with any leg movement. Also the LED indicator gets covered with the left leg so the light doesn’t bother at night.
  • There is some slight drop in comfort while sitting on the cover. This is because now you’re sitting on netted/mesh kind of surface and it isn’t as soft as the leatherette of my seat. However, it isn’t causing any pain/discomfort and I got used to it after some time. I certainly couldn't feel the array of fans, so that is a great plus!

Functionality/User Experience:
  • The ventilation can be started by long-pressing the fan speed button. The ventilation always starts at Highest speed (Red), while the recommended speed is lowest. So essentially, it takes 1 long press and 2 clicks to get the seat ventilation operating.
  • You could immediately start feeling the blower on the lower back/bottom but it takes ~2 mins before you can feel the blower on your back. Overall, it is quite effective in keeping the back, bottom and thighs fresh and dry.
  • Noise levels are super low in the lowest setting. I tested this in my basement, with the engine, music and AC off, and the sound is just barely noticeable at the lowest level. At the highest level it is somewhat noticeable but again when everything else is off. If you run the car's AC even at a blower speed of 2-3, it would easily mask the seat cover fan speed. In short, fan noise is least of your concern - excellent job on this one.
  • The product will turn off if you restart the engine even when the accessory power is on. This is a bit cumbersome while using Auto Stop/Start feature. The product will remain on when the engine auto stops but when it auto starts, the power is cut off (as it should be) turning the product off. I’d have really liked if the product came with a memory/UPS function account for this.

Durability:
This is always a gamble with aftermarket accessories. However, looking at the material construction I'm hoping it will hold up good for a year of regular usage. I'll update this over the course of time.

Summary

A very effective product indeed; would rate this 9/10 based on current experience. I’d totally recommend this product if someone is looking for such an option.

It should be noted that you’ll not get the same effectiveness compared to a factory fitted ventilated seats. This is clarified in a product disclaimer that is mentioned in the User Manual as well. The product simply works on evaporative cooling and doesn’t actually provide cool air. However, if the rest of the car is cool with AC then this will “feel cool”. You’d also stop feeling the ventilation after a while but I’m assuming it is the same with factory fitted ventilation as well. This is not the product stopping to work but rather your body doesn’t distinguish the circulation. However, not once did I feel swampy while using this.

As an improvement to this, I’m exploring if this could be hardwired to the car (using fusetaps) and if it would prevent the power cutoff when starting the engine. But that’s something for later!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2022 at 16:39. Reason: As requested
krishnakumar is offline   (99) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 10:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Accessories section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage tomorrow
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 10:56   #3
BHPian

Re: Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
[center][b]
Summary

A very effective product indeed; would rate this 9/10 based on current experience. I’d totally recommend this product if someone is looking for such an option.

As an improvement to this, I’m exploring if this could be hardwired to the car (using fusetaps) and if it would prevent the power cutoff when starting the engine. But that’s something for later!
Wow. Never realized that these things can be bought aftermarket. This is a great product for many I am sure.

I am going ahead and buying one for myself because Mumbai humidity needs such products desperately.

Thanks for the review!
DieselAnna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But as it is common with small seller listings on Amazon, the price is likely to be inflated. So, some further searches later, I contacted the seller directly to purchase and got a much better deal and a same day delivery as well (since they have a warehouse located in Bangalore). Placed the order at 4pm and I got the product delivered at 8pm.
Many thanks for the wonderful review. Its the best alternative IMHO to the ventilated seats costing a fortune. It was surprising to know that the seller sells lower outside Amazon. Any warranty available on the product? The reviews on Amazon are good with many appreciating the product. Will go in my Accessories to buy list.
ghodlur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 12:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
It was surprising to know that the seller sells lower outside Amazon. Any warranty available on the product? The reviews on Amazon are good with many appreciating the product. Will go in my Accessories to buy list.
Yes, it is common because they have to bear some costs as commission. But they get to retain these margins outside and hence are open to better discounts on the price.

The Amazon website says there is a 6 month warranty but would be good to check with the seller directly on this once.

You may contact the seller directly on this number via WhatsApp: +91 9119791193.

WhatsApp support link: https://wa.me/+919119791193

Last edited by krishnakumar : 24th December 2022 at 12:30.
krishnakumar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 14:12   #6
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the wonderful review.

How is the airflow at the bottom? I had read reviews in Amazon (not for this brand), that the airflow reduces with time, especially, at the bottom.

I contacted them on the WA number shared by you. The response was immediate and they even sent a link of this thread in the various links they shared with me.

Last edited by MAS : 24th December 2022 at 14:16.
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 15:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
How is the airflow at the bottom? I had read reviews in Amazon (not for this brand), that the airflow reduces with time, especially, at the bottom.
The airflow is quite good! But one should not expect the same levels of performance from a factory fitted seat ventilation. The air is not “cool” but due to evaporative cooling and the cabin AC I found it effective enough to keep my back and bottom from being swampy.

Too early to say on whether it’ll reduce over time but yes I’d expect so as the air channels get blocked/fans become less effective. However, one thing to note is that most other brands that I saw uses a single fan to operate. Riggear is the only one I found that operates with 10 fans (5 each for back and bottom).
krishnakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 17:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I contacted the seller directly to purchase and got a much better deal and a same day delivery as well (since they have a warehouse located in Bangalore). Placed the order at 4pm and I got the product delivered at 8pm.

I have only bought the Driver side seat cover. Riggear also sells a co-driver seat cover as a separate unit.

!
It would be great if you can throw a ballpark figure as to how much it costed you, if you feel comfortable sharing.
pandabear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 09:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
It would be great if you can throw a ballpark figure as to how much it costed you, if you feel comfortable sharing.
I paid Rs. 6800 by ordering directly on their website. The price on their website is Rs. 8000 and there was a 15% off coupon code on the website itself at checkout which I used.

Amazon has much cheaper options at 3k but the issue was that they used only one fan and there were reviews of loud fan noise.
krishnakumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 11:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful! Can you share how much more clutter is added due to additional wires going to the 12 V socket.

All is it easy to remove and fit to a second car in family if required?
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 12:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I paid Rs. 6800 by ordering directly on their website. The price on their website is Rs. 8000 and there was a 15% off coupon code on the website itself at checkout which I used.

Amazon has much cheaper options at 3k but the issue was that they used only one fan and there were reviews of loud fan noise.
I'm certain this thread will be bookmarked by a lot of fence sitters like me. Pls do keep thread updated.

I was searching for something similar on Amazon but kept away due to the [relatively] high prices and lack of a trusted brand selling them. My only worry is poor life after paying a bomb - I'd install these only if they last atleast 3 years. Replacing 7k worth items every year like windshield wipers seems utterly wasteful to me.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 13:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Can you share how much more clutter is added due to additional wires going to the 12 V socket.

All is it easy to remove and fit to a second car in family if required?
A very good question indeed! I missed to address this part in my review.

Clutter is a bit too much particularly because the power chord has dual plug (for both driver and co-driver). This is great if you have both but adds a lot of wires. The wires aren’t particularly long so cable management is possible and I’m yet to so a good job at that (had very little time to fit this before my drive).

This is my current situation. So yes does add clutter but definitely possible to clean this up (which I’m planning to do).
Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?-c574e7c6767b41a08dd068340f00c6d3.jpeg

But it is necessary to have a 12V socket in the front of the cabin.

Coming to the question of swapping it to other cars, absolutely possible and dead EASY! I suppose it would take a minute each to remove and reapply.

However, this comes with a big catch and that has to do with the ergonomics I talked about in my review post . The seat cover does alter your driving position so removing it would mean you have to change the seat position.

Unless, you always plan to drive the car with the cover on, so you can leave the seat position at one setting (with the cover on) and not change it further for all of your cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikduttajsr View Post
I was searching for something similar on Amazon but kept away due to the [relatively] high prices and lack of a trusted brand selling them.
Very true!

I went for this because I could get this as my birthday gift from my wife She absolutely hated gifting me this saying “who gifts their husband a seat cover?” but I said this is what I wanted if she has the budget for it.

But my mental math also went like this - if the seat cover would last let’s say another 10,000 km, them I’m basically paying Rs. 0.7/km for the added comfort (assuming it works and it does). I am actually okay with that and so for me it kind of made sense.

I will keep the thread updated on how the life of this goes.
krishnakumar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 19:51   #13

Thanks for the review! Prices are very high though, you can buy these for 2000 bucks in Karol bagh, Delhi. If you will look through YouTube, you may find some vendors who may agree to ship it to you as well.
vj1303 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 20:33   #14
BHPian

I was a lucky fella, got one of these off Aliexpress before the ban. It cost me Rs. 2500 all-inclusive 3 years ago. I regret buying just one, as I have a few other cars without factory-fitted fans. Living in the northern bit of India surely warrants ventilated seats for all passengers, to be honest.

Mine is not exactly like the OP's product. It has one large fan which hangs in between your legs but doesn't obtrude. I regularly vacuum the seat and the fan casing, and it works silently.

Another purchase from Aliexpress was a seat cover with massagers and heating coils. When the weather changes, it usually gets swapped for the ventilated seat one on my daily driver. If I remember correctly, that too was under Rs. 3000.
Attached Thumbnails
Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?-img_20210416_135005.jpg  

Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?-img_20210416_135030.jpg  

lemedico is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th December 2022, 08:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1303 View Post
Prices are very high though, you can buy these for 2000 bucks in Karol bagh, Delhi.
True. I did find options at this price range but they all had 1 huge fan. I was apprehensive about such products on 3 factors and hoping BHPian lemedico can throw some more light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
It cost me Rs. 2500 all-inclusive 3 years ago.

I regularly vacuum the seat and the fan casing, and it works silently.
Thanks for sharing this and the tip.

Would be great if you can throw some light on the below 3, which were the reasons why I went with Riggear in the absence of reliable reviews.

1. How loud are these? Single fan usually means that they have to work harder and sound levels are higher. Riggear boasts itself to be the quietest among such products.

2. How is the back ventilation? The online reviews either said that it takes time to feel the back ventilation or that it isn’t very effective.

3. How many km would you have operated this? Aftermarket products are usually built on equipments (whatever is the medium, fan/LED etc) at max rating and tend to have shorter lifespan. While you mentioned 3 years, which is impressive, what would this be in terms of km that you drove with the product turned on?
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks