Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 08:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: No 'edge gap' window sunfilm installation?

My suggestion. Please do not go for anything illegal on the car which can get you caught easily, especially when you travel to other states.
The simple alternative is using good quality magnetic sun shades which do the job well and are removable. So if any cop catches you, you can just remove it in a few seconds.

We spend thousands for a film but we do not spend a few thousand on a good quality magnetic sun film, mainly because the ones available online are of poor quality and sometimes not an exact fit. So we need to hunt around and get the perfect one and that’s the only challenge.
Old 27th February 2023, 08:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Why go through all this circus to look cool, can't we get to replace stock glass windows with tinted glass windows ?? All kinds of mods exist for cars, but I have not come across any posts where people replaced stock window glass. I think replacing stock glass with tinted glass will not be more than 30k that is required for fancy tints, like the other gentleman was flaunting in another thread.
Depends from car to car.

I upgraded the stock window glasses on my VW Ameo Highline Plus to the tinted “UV-cut” glasses which were introduced in the last Polos/Ventos, around 2 years back. It costed me around 8k for all 4 windows. The glasses were sourced & installed from the VW ASC only.

The details can be found here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review)
SuperSuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 15:37   #33
BHPian

My films were installed without the edge gap more than two years ago. Nobody has pulled me over for it (yet). And I hope they don't after reading this thread

Attaching pictures for reference:

No 'edge gap' window sunfilm installation?-img_4821.jpeg

No 'edge gap' window sunfilm installation?-img_4822.jpeg

No 'edge gap' window sunfilm installation?-img_4824.jpeg

These are LLumar VLT50 Black series and were installed very professionally by one of the best detailers in Mumbai.
city2491 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 20:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

In my previous car, the SX4 I had Llumar pp60 on the side glasses and rear and pp70 on windshield. Only once a cop a cop standing near a signal at thane kapurbawdi asked me to roll down window and because there was no gap he let me go. The pp60 has a greenish tint.

In my current car the Dzire, I've never been checked in over 2 yrs. This one has Garware ice cool shield 70 vlt all round installed right till the edges. Once I even jumped a signal at ghodbunder road just by 1 second and was pulled over and the cop mentioned dont use dark tint and showed me all the films they pulled out and had wrapped around a pole near their small chowki. They all looked dark ones.

As long as they can see u clearly they will be fine here in Mumbai at least.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 21:37   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Why engage in an illegal practice. Sun protection films of all kind are illegal, however well they may be camouflaged.

Yes this will work for some films of the technician is skilled and films of the right quality. But why indulge in an illegal practice.

Am strongly against this idea. There are legal options like sun shades and sunvisors.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 21:53   #36
BHPian

This is all illegal, don't want to be rude but if tinted windows is such a requirement then why not just go for replacing the windows with tinted windows or go for a car which has tinted windows from factory.

I really don't think it's worth the hassle and you'll mostly be nervous whenever you'll see a check post or something.

I really see no point.
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 01:34   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Thank god I'm from Chennai! The cops here are so chill with tints, you could practically install a disco ball on your windshield and they'd still let you drive around.
I was always curious seeing so many TN registered cars with dark tints, do they not stop you at all for tints in Chennai? And how much is the challan for tinted glasses there?

Last edited by Revmatch99 : 26th March 2023 at 01:36.
Old 27th March 2023, 16:16   #38

There is a complete ban on any kind of sun film being put on the glasses by Supreme Court. So it's definitely illegal.

Having said so, have also noticed people putting up black curtains inside the vehicle to save themselves from the scorching heat. Not sure, if this helps in reducing the heat from the car while parked but will definitely save you from the sun while travelling.

I hope they are also not banned, can anyone clarify ?
Old 27th March 2023, 21:55   #39
RRM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Just follow the Supreme Court's decision. I have no other thoughts on this matter.
Bang on statement. Follow rules set as possible and life will be just easy!
Old 2nd April 2023, 07:01   #40
BHPian

I guess some cops have caught on this thread.

I was flagged down recently in my vehicle with sunshades and the first thing the cop did was put his fingers on the inside of my glass and tried to see if he could clearly see his fingers. Then he let me go.

No 'edge gap' window sunfilm installation?-img_20230402_065804.jpg
nathanjdias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 22:53   #41
BHPian

Mumbai’s heat is getting unbearable for me. I want to know if anyone can recommend me a good place where I can get a decent sunfilm installed for my car? I drive the Audi Q3

I got quotes of upwards of Rs 20K from my dealer but want to get something done under 10k. Main purpose is heat reduction.
Old 4th January 2024, 09:15   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
Mumbai’s heat is getting unbearable for me. I want to know if anyone can recommend me a good place where I can get a decent sunfilm installed for my car?
Check on just the front and rear. These two account for more than 50% of the glass surface, and let in a lot of heat.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 02:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspark View Post
Mumbai’s heat is getting unbearable for me. I want to know if anyone can recommend me a good place where I can get a decent sunfilm installed for my car? I drive the Audi Q3

I got quotes of upwards of Rs 20K from my dealer but want to get something done under 10k. Main purpose is heat reduction.
Garware Ice cool shield should do the trick. For 10k you should at the very least cover the front and rear windshields. Including the side windows it definitely won't cost more than 15k.
You can get it done from Shreyas Auto at Milan Subway. I've been using them for years. No idea if they can do a zero gap install but minimal gap is definitely possible.

EDIT : Just saw that it's a Q3. The Ice Cool Shield comes in cut length sheets so you might need to check with them if it's possible.
Also find out if they can get Garwares Supreme sunfilm. Apparently it's one series above the Ice Cool in terms of quality.

Last edited by Mortis : 5th January 2024 at 03:02.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 18:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Garware Ice cool shield should do the trick. For 10k you should at the very least cover the front and rear windshields. Including the side windows it definitely won't cost more than 15k.
You can get it done from Shreyas Auto at Milan Subway. I've been using them for years. No idea if they can do a zero gap install but minimal gap is definitely possible.

EDIT : Just saw that it's a Q3. The Ice Cool Shield comes in cut length sheets so you might need to check with them if it's possible.
Also find out if they can get Garwares Supreme sunfilm. Apparently it's one series above the Ice Cool in terms of quality.
Thank you. I got quote of 20500 for garware ice shield from Audi showroom, he is not ready to negotiate any further. I will call Shreyas Auto tomorrow and see how much they quote
techspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 09:17   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_Pod View Post
I hope they are also not banned, can anyone clarify ?
If you strictly go by the wording in the Supreme Court order, the ban is on tampering with the glass panes or windshields. Whether you put a curtain or a net inside is not dealt with that order. Probably those curtains are meant for privacy because one can see many high-end cars sporting them in spite of already having UV absorbent glass. For ordinary folks, these curtains may act as those green shade nets farmers use to prevent harsh sun on leaves! Once while driving through Bangalore city, a cop stopped me and asked me to remove those magnetically attached nets from my car citing Supreme Court order. I told him the order only covers glass and the glass surfaces of my car were untouched. He waved me on.
lejhoom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks