Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2023, 18:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Gifting my wife a White Jeep Compass, but she wants a Red one | Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Wrap it. There are many fantastic vinyl wrap providers in Mumbai & Pune.

- If the lady wants red, it has to be red. Frankly, I agree with her. The Jeep Compass looks H-O-T in red. .

- Check out some matte red options in the wraps too. They look amazing. Matte red + black rims + black roof will keep not just the wife happy, but you too .

Attachment 2531341
Thanks GTO for your inputs. As I am planning to shift to Pune, I will explore the car wrap scene over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You know your wife best, but if it was my wife I would mortgage the house one more time, sell one of the kids and buy her a new, red car!

Good luck!

Jeroen
Dear Brother,

Surely my thread touched a deep cord there. Don't worry we are not alone, only some of us have the guts to spill the beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Yes, sir in order to make it legal one would have to check their local RTO rules if they allow a change in color, I am unaware of the Aligarh RTO but color change in RC is allowed in Pune as I have seen several videos of Brotomotiv confirming that they first apply for color change in RC and then wrap or repaint the car in different color.
Thanks Revvharder for your reply. I will have to apply for the permission here in Aligarh before I shift to Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
Propose you are going to buy the new automatic car to be red, just for her. This way you get to see white car and your better half sees Red car. Win-win for both .
I just hope she doesn't see red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I had my car wrapped in red and it still is holding up great after 4 years. Go for wrap from a reputed detailer, it should do the trick.
Please check your inbox
fawad0222 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 06:49   #17

I didn't get that part "almost new".

In any case, be transparent and explain your wife about the options :-
- wrapping - with pros and cons (RTO issues, maintenance)
- changing the color - again lot of hassles, not worth investing.
- AS-IS - factory build quality white color, get ceramic coating done, and show the results.

I can safely assume the 3rd option will be selected.

The color was selected by you, now, for the corrective measures, give her options.
Uncia6276 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 09:48   #18
BHPian

I shall give you a much cheaper option, one that will not have any RTO issues: Buy your wife a pair of Red-tinted sunglasses

Cheers
tilt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I shall give you a much cheaper option, one that will not have any RTO issues: Buy your wife a pair of Red-tinted sunglasses
Won't work, wives are very clever. She will see right through it!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:33   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Won't work, wives are very clever. She will see right through it!

Jeroen
LOL, this is hilarious in so many levels, and clever too
tilt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawad0222 View Post
Ha Ha Mr. Boss,

You definitely understand my woes.

I thought wrapping the car is a legal job. Can anyone throw more light on the subject.
Any change in the color of the vehicle has to be approved by the RTO. At least in Pune, they do approve it. However, I doubt any RTO would approve a wrap job (this is my take on it, and have not checked it with RTO). A wrap is not equivalent to a paint job. A wrap can be removed quite easily compared to a paint job. So in case of an accident or illegal activity in a different color (wrap job) than the original paint, the owner can easily remove the wrap and thus change the color of the car. So I really doubt if they would approve a wrap job. A lot of people including on Team-BHP have done wrap jobs. You can check with them or some of them can chime in here to say if they have got RTO approval for change of color using a wrap job.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 15:23   #22
BHPian

You can also discuss the possibility of getting your car wrapped in white matte ppf or just normal matte ppf.

It's not 'Red' but it can still give a slight change from the usual white cars she have had

Wraps of different color than the original can and do attract attention from cops. It's a grey area really with no clear demarcation so cops can give trouble. Wraps also can't be endorsed in RC as it's a temporary thing and in case of a crime, anyone can just tear off the wrap and change appearances.
Siddj38 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 17:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO for your inputs. As I am planning to shift to Pune, I will explore the car wrap scene over there.
Not sure if you are aware, but there is this outfit called Brotomotiv in Pune which has been receiving rave reviews for their paint jobs.

It's pretty close to where i stay, and to my untrained, colour agonistic eyes, they do look good. Do check them out and see if you can get some technical opinion on the jobs they have done as well.

Needless to say, I have absolutely no relation/partnership with them.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 18:16   #24
BHPian

One more suggestion instead of the full Wrap (legality barring) - since its a Jeep, get hold of Abarth original Punto stickers. Will not look our of place on the Jeep .

Gifting my wife a White Jeep Compass, but she wants a Red one | Now what?-abarthpunto07.jpg

More image in link (Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review).
SuperGirl_Dad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 13:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncia6276 View Post
I didn't get that part "almost new".

In any case, be transparent and explain your wife about the options :-
- wrapping - with pros and cons (RTO issues, maintenance)
- changing the color - again lot of hassles, not worth investing.
- AS-IS - factory build quality white color, get ceramic coating done, and show the results.

I can safely assume the 3rd option will be selected.

The color was selected by you, now, for the corrective measures, give her options.
The car is now one year old but very sparingly run as I met with with n accident soon after I bought the car and can no longer comfortably drive manuals.
The car already has ceramic coating.
So my wife knows why I am giving it to her and is very graciously willing to accept it but as I know she likes red, I wish it to wrap it red and make it a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Cheers
If i do that, I am sure she will see red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Any change in the color of the vehicle has to be approved by the RTO. At least in Pune, they do approve it. However, I doubt any RTO would approve a wrap job (this is my take on it, and have not checked it with RTO). A wrap is not equivalent to a paint job. A wrap can be removed quite easily compared to a paint job. So in case of an accident or illegal activity in a different color (wrap job) than the original paint, the owner can easily remove the wrap and thus change the color of the car. So I really doubt if they would approve a wrap job. A lot of people including on Team-BHP have done wrap jobs. You can check with them or some of them can chime in here to say if they have got RTO approval for change of color using a wrap job.
thanks for the inputs. So I need to talk to RTO and find where do they sit on this matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddj38 View Post
You can also discuss the possibility of getting your car wrapped in white matte ppf or just normal matte ppf.

It's not 'Red' but it can still give a slight change from the usual white cars she have had

Wraps of different color than the original can and do attract attention from cops. It's a grey area really with no clear demarcation so cops can give trouble. Wraps also can't be endorsed in RC as it's a temporary thing and in case of a crime, anyone can just tear off the wrap and change appearances.
Thanks for giving your inputs. lighter colour idea, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
Not sure if you are aware, but there is this outfit called Brotomotiv in Pune which has been receiving rave reviews for their paint jobs.

It's pretty close to where i stay, and to my untrained, colour agonistic eyes, they do look good. Do check them out and see if you can get some technical opinion on the jobs they have done as well.

Needless to say, I have absolutely no relation/partnership with them.
Paint job or wrap job? Anyway, I will definitely enquire with them

thanks

Last edited by fawad0222 : 18th November 2023 at 13:05.
Old 20th November 2023, 13:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Paint job or wrap job? Anyway, I will definitely enquire with them

thanks
I think they do both. What i saw was a paint job on an Innova and it looked really nice.
Again, im worse than a noob on paint tech and coatings etc. Just that it looked really nice.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 16:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

In theory any modification is illegal unless endorsed by the RTO. Even changing the color of the alloy is theoretically illegal.

That aside, the best bet is to wrap it - a glossy red wrap with the black roof would look amazing though you will always see white door sills, etc. when you open the boot / door / bonnet, etc.

And when it's time to sell, remove the wrap and you're good to go!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 16:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In theory any modification is illegal unless endorsed by the RTO. Even changing the color of the alloy is theoretically illegal.

That aside, the best bet is to wrap it - a glossy red wrap with the black roof would look amazing though you will always see white door sills, etc. when you open the boot / door / bonnet, etc.

And when it's time to sell, remove the wrap and you're good to go!
Makes sense. Let's see how much the wrap job costs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks