Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2023, 15:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today

Most things seem to be covered by the above replies. I'd also add a hydraulic jack to the list. The OE jacks included with most cars are jokeworthy. A hydraulic jack will save time and effort, and is safer if you're stuck at the side of a busy highway since you won't be in traffic as long. Having been in such situations more than I would've liked to (owing to the wonderful roads that lead into and out of Mumbai), a hydraulic jack is almost a necessity.
pranavt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 16:00   #17

I use the following accessories:

1. Alloy and wider tyres, mostly Yokohama
2. Tyre Inflator
3. Mobile stand only while using google maps
4. Mobile Charger
5. Odonil pouch or something similar
4. 3D floor mats
5. Under dash and under seats ambiance lights
6. Ipop door edge protectors
Old 30th December 2023, 16:25   #18
BHPian

I would like to add another important accessory. The window hammer along with the seat belt cutter is a multi-purpose tool for emergencies and I always keep one in the car. There are many cheap options available. The news of car catching fire has made me carry one of these in all my cars.

Image source - Google Images
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_6609.jpeg  

Tiago_Boy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 17:25   #19
BHPian

Good lighting system all around (interior & exterior).
LEDs everywhere except for Foglamps and Headlamps.
Foglamps should always be halogen based.
Headlamps should be projector type, preferably halogen based. If you chose LEDs then be mindful of its colour temperature.

I've XL6 Alpha+ MT (recently bought).
I like almost everything about the car, but hate its headlamp & foglamp setup. Planning to upgrade them in 2024.
Old 30th December 2023, 18:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
In case anyone here has used such a cushion, can you please post your usage experience?
I have been using one since the last one year (~20k kms) and it has been very good.

Check out my review of the same: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ted-seats.html (Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?)
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 19:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I usually segregate and carry accessories depending the car I am using. For the Thar, I carry lot of off road accessories like soft shackles, tow straps, etc while for the low slung sedan I usually carry electric tyre lug wrench, hydraulic jack etc.

But if I have to mention some common accessories that would be:

A good quality tyre inflator and a gauge (I am using Viair one)

TPMS if the car is not equipped already (using sensairy for the Polo)

Jumper cable

Car freshener (using curatedfocars one)

Floor mats (functionality over aesthetics)

Dashcam (using 70mai and DDpai)

First aid kit (or adding stuff to the one provided by the manufacturer)

High quality 12 volt socket USB Charger (using Anker)

Microfibre cloths

Tyre puncture repair kit (using TJM one)
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 20:42   #22
BHPian

From my personal experience, would add following in addition to above: -
Towing cable/belt
Spare water bottle for basic needs. Helps to wash your dirty hands in case of changing tyres, minor works on body.
Old cloth (soft) for cleaning etc
Money change including coins for tips etc
Spare eco-friendly bags for unplanned purchases by home minister/family
Spare shoes/sandals - in case you soil yours and need to change (by home minister)
Umbrella
Old 30th December 2023, 21:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I have been using one since the last one year (~20k kms) and it has been very good.

Check out my review of the same: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ted-seats.html (Riggear Ventilated Seat Covers Review - Is it an alternative to Ventilated Seats?)
Reading these posts on the ventilated seat covers got me thinking: aren't anti-submarine seats a standard design in all cars today? And if so wouldn't these seat covers negate the safety that this would provide?
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 22:06   #24
BHPian

Humidifiers definitely help in maintaining the humidity when the airconditioner is used to cool the car. I would definitely recommend using a humidifier to ensure freshness when travelling in the vehicle, especially on longer drives, as it prevents dryness of eyes, etc.
AjayJoshuaN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 22:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Reading these posts on the ventilated seat covers got me thinking: aren't anti-submarine seats a standard design in all cars today? And if so wouldn't these seat covers negate the safety that this would provide?
The seat cover barely adds any thickness to the seat and does not change the profile. It is not going to make any difference to something like anti-submarine seats which are built into the base of the seat (below the cushions itself).
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 22:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have the following car accessories:

1: DashCam: DDPAI Mola N3 non GPS version along with CPL filter. Should have opted for GPS model as speed appears higher in videos than actual.

2. External TPMS from Nexdigitron: I was all praises for this model but the battery on display died in exactly one year. The changeable batteries in the individual sensor are also shortlived making it a money trap. Shall opt for internal TPMS during upcoming tyre change.

3. Tyre inflator: Have bought 2 from Bergmann for my home. One friend also got one ordered through me.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9341.png

4. Amazonbasics seat belt cutter: Kept below driver seat.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9342.png

5. Amazonbasics 20 feet 4 gauge jumper cable for our 2013 Punto Active that has current leak problem that is still undiagnosed.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9343.png

6. Bosch C7 charger for home (again because of our 2013 Punto) but this is a useless buy as this requires that the car be parked near a power source (obviously). Our Punto is mostly parked outside.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9344.png

7. Autofurnish seat gap fillers: A boon for keeping the floor beneath front seats free of eatables. Also saves my key or pen from falling into the Davy Jones Locker.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9346.png

8. Rear seat hooks: For hanging the tiffin, water bottles etc.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9347.png

9. Dahsha car document holder: Very useful product. Bought another for my brother as well.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9348.png

10. Non magnetic sun shades

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9349.png

11. Alligator car mount: An excellent solution compared to suction mounts and even magnetic holders. But these got discontinued so I bought two when they reappeared online briefly.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_9350.png

12. Dustbin from Maruti Genuine Parts

13. Dedicated umbrella and rain coat for car

14. Tyre puncture repair kit

15. Tyre tread depth gauge

16. Manual tyre pressure measurement gauge

Not counting floor mats, mud flaps, door visors, car shampoo, microfiber cloths, sponge applicators, dashboard dresser, trim restorer, liquid wax and Ganesh ji’s idol.
PaddleShifter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 23:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
The seat cover barely adds any thickness to the seat and does not change the profile. It is not going to make any difference to something like anti-submarine seats which are built into the base of the seat (below the cushions itself).
I don't think I can agree with that. As I understand it, it's your body, your buttocks in particular, that dig into the seat in the event of a frontal crash and the anti-submarine design prevents your body from sliding forward. A layer of any material, especially if it's a bit stiff, between you and the seat would reduce the friction between your buttocks and the seat, with obvious consequences. Correct me if I'm wrong.
FarPatel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 10:18   #28
BHPian

Apart from most of the ones mentioned by my fellow Bhpians above and earlier, here are the must-have car accessories in my car :-

1) A 12 volt (v) direct current (DC) compressor based fridge/freezer (not thermoelectric cooler) especially in summer.

2) A 12v DC portable shower

3) A portable toilet setup

4) A portable 12v DC cooker

5) A portable 12v DC tea/coffee maker

6) An auxiliary lithium battery with a charging system.

7) A small toolbox

In summary, my car is my second home
Chhanda Das is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 16:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
A layer of any material, especially if it's a bit stiff, between you and the seat would reduce the friction between your buttocks and the seat, with obvious consequences. Correct me if I'm wrong.
As far as I understand, the anti-submarine has nothing to do with friction between the buttocks and seat. If yes, even one’s choice of clothing would matter. In the event of a crash, the body sinks into the seat cushion and the angled base plate prevents a slide forward. This is how I have understood the mechanism to work.

The seat cover is not stiff, it is part fabric and part leather which is about 1 cm thick. There is no stiff component involved. I doubt if a part fabric/part leatherette material will offer resistance to your body sinking into the cushion. Hence my reasoning that it is not going to be detrimental to anti-submarine.

But I welcome other explanations on why this could be a problem as this is only based on my own reasoning
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 23:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
One of the most important safety accessories is a tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS).
Amen to this! I have 2 instances where I could detect a slow puncture.

First one was pretty obvious. I detected a wobble while driving to work and saw my rear right was at 23 and dropped 2 more psi as I drove as opposed to 35 psi.

The recent instance was just incredible. I noticed my rear left alone was at 31-32 psi, while the rest were at 35-36 psi when driving towards Jaipur from Jodhpur. Tire pressure didn't drop further. I refilled once after Kishangarh to 35 psi on all tires and again the same tire went down to 32 psi. And it maintained that 31-32 psi pressure till I reached hotel, next morning and evening. I got it checked that evening in a tire shop near the hotel.

The tire shop was saying it could be a false alarm and after closer inspection found this.

2023 Edition | Your must-have car accessories today-img_4262.jpg

Note that this picture was taken after he unscrewed it. So the nail wasn't in this position when he showed.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks