Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 22:01   #1
BHPian

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned

Lesson learned: A cheap option is not always the best one

I wanted to tint my car windows and was searching for prices in my area. I contacted Car Spark and received a quote of 4500 for Garware Icecool on the windshield, which reduces heat by 45% and cuts UV by 99%. For the sides and rear glasses, I was quoted 4200 for SP70. I was planning to go ahead with this option but then a friend mentioned someone on GP Road who could do it for half the price and with a branded tint. He convinced me to try there and arranged for it today.

We went, chose the percentage and brand (Garware), but I didn't personally verify the roll. We left the place for 30 minutes to grab lassi, and when we returned, they had already started the work. We were around the area, as my friend had a shop nearby, so we were chatting. We received a call that it was ready, checked, and everything seemed fine. The price was only 2700 for the front, rear, and side glasses – a seemingly good deal. (Since it's an S-presso, I thought it might not cost much, considering the smaller area to cover. )

Later, I went to my friend's home and stayed there until evening (7:30 PM). When I started driving home, I got a severe headache within 5 minutes. I couldn't find the reason since I was driving inside streets, not on the main road. As soon as I reached the main road, all the lights, even the small ones, appeared zigzagging and gave me a tripping feeling. I felt like I was going to vomit, and the lights were not just scattering; they were at their worst. I stopped the car, called my friend, and shared a picture.

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned-img_7123.jpg

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned-img_7124.jpg

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned-img_7122.jpg

This is not a camera error; it exactly captured what I was seeing. Imagine how dangerous it would be to drive in this condition.

Then my friend called the shop, and they said that the soap water used during installation might be causing this. They suggested holding on for two more days in the sun, and it would clear up. Considering the situation, I was tempted to remove the tint myself and drive, as it seemed really dangerous. Everyone inside the car felt like they had consumed magic mushrooms and seeing it effects.

I don't have hope that this would resolve in 2 days even if it dries, but I can't tear it myself; otherwise, I won't be able to get a refund or a replacement from a reputable brand. ( Planning to upgrade the brand during replacement )

I plan to check it tomorrow, if not i'l remove it, and ask the seller to show the brand before reapplying. I'll request a replacement. My friend assured me that this shop is well-known to him, and he will ensure a replacement if the issue persists, so I'm trying not to worry.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 21st January 2024 at 22:04.
raptor_diwan is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 11:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Used Maruti S-Presso AMT | Ownership Review | My Second Love Story

Quote:
Then my friend called the shop, and they said that the soap water used during installation might be causing this. They suggested holding on for two more days in the sun, and it would clear up.
As they said, the light scattering is reduced, and a very small amount of scattering is found, which I think is normal. They said to keep the car in the sun; it will get normal. It seems to be okay now. Let's see how long it works.

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned-img_7173.jpg

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned-img_7175.jpg
raptor_diwan is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 05:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned

Sunfilms | A cheap option is not always the best one | Lesson learned - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 07:21   #4
BHPian

Every garware roll has its brand and model etched/printed on the sunfilm. You can verify the genuineness by checking the same on your car.
shikh_oberoi is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 08:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Like Shikh said above, genuine Garware film has the brand name printed (in yellow) towards the border.

Icecool Shield is the older series, and is available at a cheaper rate. The current series for windshields is Supreme and this has a higher heat rejection rating.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 08:44   #6
BHPian

Any particular top-shelf brand anyone recommends for the windshield? Any cons of applying a film on the windshield?
ruskinash is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
Every garware roll has its brand and model etched/printed on the sunfilm. You can verify the genuineness by checking the same on your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Like Shikh said above, genuine Garware film has the brand name printed (in yellow) towards the border.
Then, I guess it is not an original Garware; I verified and found nowhere the brand name mentioned in the film.
raptor_diwan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 12:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
Then, I guess it is not an original Garware; I verified and found nowhere the brand name mentioned in the film.
Missed to add: Windshield specific film would be in a sealed cylindrical hard pack. Others who have recently got genuine windshield film can confirm this.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 17:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Icecool Shield is the older series, and is available at a cheaper rate. The current series for windshields is Supreme and this has a higher heat rejection rating.
I might be wrong but from what I had found, in terms of TSER heat reduction, VLT and other factors, the newer Supreme series is exactly the same as the Icecool series.

On a side note, I had purchased the IceCool Elite roll and it contained 2 rolls of different dimensions. One of the rolls was for use on side windows and the other roll was for the rear glass. However since my car had a small windscreen, i was able to get the piece for the rear glass fitted as a windshield film. Working just as expected.

Specs
Grey green tint
69% VLT
46% Total Heat Rejection
Old 5th March 2024, 18:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I might be wrong but from what I had found, in terms of TSER heat reduction, VLT and other factors, the newer Supreme series is exactly the same as the Icecool series.
What I mentioned is straight from the distributor here.

The two sizes you mentioned - this will be a kit.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 12:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikh_oberoi View Post
Yes, there will be Garware logo, model name, VLT percentage printed on the film.

Quote:
Missed to add: Windshield specific film would be in a sealed cylindrical hard pack. Others who have recently got genuine windshield film can confirm this.
Yes, the ones specific to the windshield come in a hard cylindrical pack. The heat rejection and VLT will be printed on the pack itself. One can verify before the installer opens the seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I had purchased the IceCool Elite roll and it contained 2 rolls of different dimensions. One of the rolls was for use on side windows and the other roll was for the rear glass.
I recently got IceCool Elite SG installed. So far, the heat rejection has been good. The roll intended for the rear glass has 35% heat rejection and 82% VLT. The one intended for the windows has 47% heat rejection and 69% VLT.

With regards to OP's complaint about light scattering, that is exactly how my rear windshield felt immediately after installation. I too was told to check for a few days and report back since it will take time for the glue to set-in. For now, the light scattering has reduced drastically. However, there seems to be some image deformation near the defogger lines, which I have to get checked this week.

On a side note, my cousin has CR70 installed on his Safari. I found the heat rejection to be almost the same for both 3M and Garware (Okay, 3M is marginally better). The biggest advantage for 3M is that it is almost invisible and has no light scattering issues while Garware one can be identified easily. Since I paid 1/3rd of 3M's price, I think I have nothing to lose even if cops rip it off some day. For the front windshield, I opted for Artic cool which I have to get installed this weekend.
furyrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 14:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I mentioned is straight from the distributor here.

The two sizes you mentioned - this will be a kit.
The installation i got was in a white tube as i got it done for two vehicles. The seltos had no bubbles or issues after the instal while the figo had a similar issue of light glare for a few days which went away shortly.

The heat reduction is not 100% but you can feel the difference, but one major difference i noticed is while driving at night you need to be a little careful to not miss out on reflectors along the road or on dividers.

If you have white interiors the film has a slight green tint to it and the black interiors make the tint a little more darker under canopy.
Old 6th March 2024, 22:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Kindly stick to the topic. We have other threads to discuss the legality of sunfilms.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 07:04   #14
BHPian

I just had 3M CR70 applied on my car and it was puzzling to see the words “3M” all over it

You can see the words 3M from 5 feet away. Not sure if this is the case with all 3M sunfilm products

Will attach a pic later
Old 7th March 2024, 08:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb97ce6 View Post
I just had 3M CR70 applied on my car and it was puzzling to see the words “3M” all over it
Well, that is how we differentiate between the genuine and fake ones. Usually the installer would remove it post installation. Removal is pretty easy though. Take isopropyl alcohol (or an alcohol based sanitizer), pour a few drops on a clean microfiber cloth and gently rub on the 3M logo. It should go away.

A word of caution: try doing this on a small area first, if it works out for you, you can go ahead.
furyrider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks