Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 10:35   #1
BHPian

In-car Camera mounts - Attaching a video camera to the Car

Hi, with all the track-days that are being arranged, it occurred to me that a petrified passenger holding a camera was not the best way to preserve on-track antics for posterity. In-car camera mounts are available online, but shipping is prohibitively expensive. DIY mounts abound, & seem a cheaper alternative - I mean we're not talking of rocket-science here.

Could members share their experiences with using or building an in-car camera mount ? Which camera position is better - within the car or outside ? Which mounting method is preferable, attaching to the windshield using rubber 'suckers', or attaching to the head-rests ?

I have replica Recaro seats in the front, & I was thinking of building a mount made of aluminum tubes that fit through the seat-belt slots in the seat-back.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi Im_srini,

I think most cameras have a standard 1/4-20 thread for mounting (fyi).

When mounting the camera, try not to fix it so that its very rigidly attached because sometimes the vibrations turn off / reset the camera. (Had this problem with a digital still camera that could take video that was mounted to the rollhoop of an openwheel racecar)

cya
R

ps - also, i prefer the view from over the drivers shoulder, its more interesting than the view from the dashboard.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fix it to the rear set head rest (center one preferably)
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:05   #4
BHPian

am looking for something related,
How aout mounting a digital camera on backside of rear view mirror and have a wired remote near sterring to take shots, when you want...
anybody tried this before, or any diy links please post
Cheers
W.Ajay
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

I have seen some suction cup solutions online.... personally i am a little scared to use the ones with a small single suction cup.
There are some more professional ones with very large suction cups that you have to pump the air out of, or multiple sticky cups that mount on 2 sides of a corner etc.

Using one of these on the dash shouldnt be as scary (as on the hood of the car etc)

cya
R
Old 23rd February 2008, 09:26   #6
BHPian

guys can please specify the reason for camera mount ... like for shooting the exteriors or interiors or you guys are taking about reverse camera mount... i'm confused.. i might have an idea...for a diy
Old 23rd February 2008, 12:42   #7
BHPian

For recording oitsid view ,,,or may be for taking amazing videos or digital pics while driving, if it has a remote near steering to operate,
Old 27th March 2008, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Ever Hooked Camera inside your car

Hey guys, recently saw a show by street customs on discovery,
where they hooked a slim digicam behind rear view mirror, attached a wired remote near steering and h can click pics while driving.
they also fitted a printer below the seat, which I found little stupid
anywys does anybody tried this before? any idea from where to get that remote wire?
Cheers
W.Ajay
Old 27th March 2008, 16:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

I tried mounting a web cam on my car.. Dropped the idea now - video recording takes up too much Hard disk space - almost 4MB per second (at around 30fps).
Old 21st October 2008, 15:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

How to attach a camcorder to car?

@mods: please shift to appropriate forum if posted wrongly.

I'm planning a trip to mahabaleshwar this weekend and want to record and document the trip.
I want to take video shots of the road at ground level at high speed with overtaking maneuvers, etc. (similar to how it is shown in movies)

I have a sony HD handycam and a big and small tripod. I'm planning to buy a shoulder mount which i can modify.

I don't want to spend a lot of money though.

I read on the net that suction camera mounts are available. Any idea where to source them in mumbai?

Any ideas on how to mount the camera at the bumper level?

Please give foolproof ideas. i don't want to loose my camera.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 21st October 2008 at 15:25.
Old 21st October 2008, 15:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Anything at bumper level doesnt seem advisable. Even a small pebble will damage the camera at high speeds. Build a plexiglass cover for the camera, in case such a thing is not available off the shelf.
Old 21st October 2008, 15:36   #12
BHPian

@Tejas the bumper cam idea does not sound too good if you dont want to loose your camcorder, there is a high possibility of damage and even that would cost a lot. Plus while driving you might end up doing something stupid just to get a perfect shot because all your attention would be on the handycam!!
Old 21st October 2008, 15:41   #13
BHPian

i will suggest to use the dash level instead of the bumper level . you can some imaginations and wood/iron/steel/mdf to support the camera on dash form there you can have a good view of the road and you can shift it to inside of the car too
Old 21st October 2008, 15:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

+1 for not using on bumper. Instead plonk it on Dash with the help of some mirror vaccum stands, like one used by GPS devices.
Old 21st October 2008, 15:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

ok, maybe not bumper level, atleast on the bonnet or something? i don't want the glass reflection to spoil the video.

If i do figure out some modification, i'll put up the pics.

awaiting more replies...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks