Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 00:50   #1
BANNED

Is it worth the money for mods?

For the amount that I see some guys spending for mods here I was wondering whether it would not be better spent on a higher end car.

2-3 lakhs on a modded swift would get you maybe a very decent shape Cedia with money to spare for say tyres etc.

Why do people spend so much on modifying a low end car? Just curious.
Old 9th October 2007, 00:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

What if you want a good-handling new car for 7 lakhs, which gives atleast 11 kmpl and has 100 hp?
Old 9th October 2007, 01:00   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
What if you want a good-handling new car for 7 lakhs, which gives atleast 11 kmpl and has 100 hp?
You got me there. Me? I would settle for a used higher end car [you probably get better safety, suspension and handling thrown in too], but I guess thats just me :-)

Last edited by kumar2007 : 9th October 2007 at 01:03.
Old 9th October 2007, 01:01   #4
BHPian

Well, American Kids are doing it, so Indian kids must also copy everything they do.

Honestly, the cars being offered these days are too advanced for what our infrastructure can deliver, so it may not be advisable to burn your money on mods.

On the other hand, a businessman who sells such Mods will always incourge you to buy his stuff.
Old 9th October 2007, 01:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflanker View Post
On the other hand, a businessman who sells such Mods will always incourge you to buy his stuff.
This is where Boogle comes in
Old 9th October 2007, 01:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

kumar , how many of our high end cars have all safety features ? If they do, costs a bomb and not everyone can afford it.

So I would rather pick a car that I can afford and spend on it wisely to get the best out of it. Modifying an expensive car is a different ball game altogether.

If you don't wanna mod your car, don't do it. Let the others do it . PEACE.
Old 9th October 2007, 01:28   #7
BHPian

To me it is all about passion,get a second hand car or low end or whatever and make it like a beast,its all done by you by your passion,effort etc.
The joy about modification is this
Old 9th October 2007, 03:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
To me it is all about passion,get a second hand car or low end or whatever and make it like a beast,its all done by you by your passion,effort etc.
Exactly. Its not about "copying American kids". As an investment modifying your car is probably the worst way to spend your money, but ton improve a car yourself and customize it to look exactly the way you want it and have sometihng that looks like notihng else on the road is something buying a car from the segment higher cant give you.
Old 9th October 2007, 08:18   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
kumar , how many of our high end cars have all safety features ? If they do, costs a bomb and not everyone can afford it.

So I would rather pick a car that I can afford and spend on it wisely to get the best out of it. Modifying an expensive car is a different ball game altogether.

If you don't wanna mod your car, don't do it. Let the others do it . PEACE.
Never wanted to start an argument here but was curious to know the reasons.
Old 9th October 2007, 08:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
I agree, it is just a passion for many. A car reflects the owner's personality.
Old 9th October 2007, 08:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
For the amount that I see some guys spending for mods here I was wondering whether it would not be better spent on a higher end car.

2-3 lakhs on a modded swift would get you maybe a very decent shape Cedia with money to spare for say tyres etc.

Why do people spend so much on modifying a low end car? Just curious.
It's not about the money.
There are other reasons which do not bear a 'cost-benefit' analysis!
There is a well documented 'joy', loosely called D.I.Y.
Old 9th October 2007, 08:58   #12
BHPian

a standard car comes with not so adorable looks (paint job, decals, rear spoilers, tires, alloys, smoked lights...) to name a few. It's all in mods that you bring a not-so adorable car to a drooling one. Its your passion, your dream that goes into mods. i personally haven't done any mods to my car, but if opportunity comes i won't hesitate to do.

Cheers.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:06   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

To be able to understand the answer to this question better, we need to know a few things.

1. Will driving a slightly high end car give you the same satisfaction as driving a modded car? Say for eg, a fully blown OHC Vtec is much better to drive than a Civic. Purely, from the basis of excitement, adrenaline rush etc, kick in the seat experience.

2. Does the power of a stock car that you can AFFORD to buy satisfy your hunger for power. This is when the mods come in as you can always do things in stage wise manner over a period of time.

3. Why do you modify your car? To satisfy you OWN hunger for more power? Or just to follow the trend your friends are?

4. Are you interested in taking part in motorsport events? This is when you bite the bug the most.

I mod my car because I "get used" to any kind of power really soon. With reference to most Indian cars under 15L. I could explore the limits of a 150bhp RS in about two days and grow tired of it (while most people will be satisfied for a life time). Then mod it to put out 230bhp and I will be fed up with it within a week. And so on....

Consider the example in my case. I was looking for a car in the 6-7L budget. With a good engine & handling characteristics and most importantly a mod friendly car should it not satisfy my hunger for more power. What choices did I have? OHC Vtec was phased out. Lancer has a crappy engine. Same holds true for the NHC. Fiesta, if I could afford the off the shelf bolt on parts from the UK, but I can't. So my plan was to dish out about 2L on the car and make it a quick car. But say for about 9-10L budget what car could I have bought? Elantra? Cedia? Hhhmm I can't actually think of more cars. But none of these would have made it as fun to drive as a baleno on steroids.

Plus, the smile on your face when you take on some of the bigger cars with more power and whizz past them you get to see the expression on their faces and that says quite a lot. Deep inside, you feel happy. And that satisfaction, the urge for that adrenaline rush is the reason why I would mod my car. The satisfaction of having a sleeper is compared to NONE.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:50   #14
rks
BANNED

Major mods should only be done by knowledgable people, in the interests of both safety and your own car/money. E.g pros who mod cars for the race track usually know what they are doing. Police cars are heavily modified, simply because there is nothing available off the shelf that would meet all their requirements; again these mods are done by experts.

Then there is the amateur enthusiast, who would like to mod his car for the sheer pleasure of it. Here caution is needed, in that the owner needs to ensure that the mods are done by competent and qualified people; no corners should be cut for saving money where safety is involved. I think there are many people with half-baked knowledge out in the market who will con unsuspecting owners and one needs to be careful.

Last edited by rks : 9th October 2007 at 09:52.
Old 9th October 2007, 10:15   #15
BHPian

Hi!

I agree with what Mclaren & esteem lover have to say:
1. Your ride reflects your personality.
2. The hunger for more power is very personal one.
3. Smoking a bigger car...or even a similar engine capacity vehicle gives one a feeling of satisfaction which has to be experienced to be believed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks