Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 21:34   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Because it is cheaper! Chain is always better. Unlike a belt, chain gives plenty of warning before failure. Belt can simply snap - causing extensive engine damage. It can happen even after recommended belt replacement.
Can you tell me some more examples apart from Swift DDIS which uses Chain drive?? Most of the cars in India including the highly reliable Toyota's run on Timing Belts. You just need to replace the belts and pulleys at proper intervals.

It is not true that by having a chain drive, you can be immune to timing faiures. A worn pulley bearing resulting in chain seizure can cause the same damage as a broken belt. So would be the case in gear drive if you dont take care of periodic checks and maintenance.
Old 29th October 2007, 21:56   #62
BHPian

1. ive seen 2 accent crdi's with there engines dead @ 75-85k kms
both were new buys, both my friends were sick! and mad.

also, ive heard a lot people say, that crdi's are no good and they don't last long, judging by what we saw, i would second that.
but all these people who i heard are from punjab, and FYI the diesel in punjab is no good, its extremely adulterated!!
"bad diesel will kill your CRDi. please note, this is a statistic."

2. but have also seen a couple of accents clocking 100k+ kms, without much problems, wouldnt say that they ran like new at all, but the performance was satisfactory, nothing out of the box. like many people claim, that their crdi is running as good as new @ 150k kms?? yea right...

but if your accent has managed 90k+ kms, its cause of the slightly less adulterated diesel that youre getting bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
I have a cousin who bought a Hyundai Accent petrol 1.5(1.8 was an option) in Dubai.
I didn't know what to tell him...But, I can't believe a Team-BHPian in UK picked up a used Hyundai accent petrol. Were U a student or what?
nitrous owns!!
Old 29th October 2007, 23:27   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
I think you are reffering to me

Not specifically... just the people who bash everything Korean.
The same thing used to happen with everything JAP in the late 60's / early 70's!

No offence
Old 30th October 2007, 01:31   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the cars in India including the highly reliable Toyota's run on Timing Belts. You just need to replace the belts and pulleys at proper intervals.
Reference: Timing belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Timing belts are typically inaccessible and difficult to inspect. Replacement at specific intervals is recommended by the manufacturer. The manufacturer may also recommend the replacement of other parts, such as the water pump, when the timing belt is replaced because the additional cost to replace the water pump is negligible compared to the cost of accessing the timing belt. Failure of the timing belt will seize the engine and often leads to damage that is uneconomic to repair.

Quote:
It is not true that by having a chain drive, you can be immune to timing faiures.
Agreed, but usually a timing chain lasts over 200,000 km and it does NOT snap suddenly! Although non-interference engine will not cause too much damage with a snapped belt.

Quote:
But, I can't believe a Team-BHPian in UK picked up a used Hyundai accent petrol.
I knew an Indian who picked up a decade old BMW 7-series for £2000.
And was quoted £1000 to fix ABS failure and £3000 to fix heater (which was always on highest heating mode). AFAIK, last few months he always drove with all windows open and finally had to scrap the car!

Regarding Swift engine, I don't know why Maruti doesn't introduce M type engines in India. European Swift uses M13A/M15A/M16A engines which are all chain driven.
Old 30th October 2007, 02:01   #65
Senior - BHPian

so blue2ki dude you are trying to say that if the fuel used in the crdis are non adulterated or very less adulterated ones problems like this should not arise and the engine should run for its life time? l.e. 1.5lac kms+ shower some light on this please, any body?
Old 30th October 2007, 02:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Engine flush at 25k?! And then again at 30k! Mannn... your A.S.S. must be the biggest chors around. Did not you tell them that they flushed it once at 25k? As it is 25k sounds a little too early for an engine flush.

and also @ gd1418

bhai that bl#$Y dog also changed my transmission oil at 30k kms mark and dint even show me the drained oil from the gear box but i checked out and the new oil in the gear box was fresh!, well i was not present at the A.S.S. when the mishap of engine flushing happened and learned when i paid the bill, should clearly avoid this from my next service onwards! by the way do you guys recommend to check for any seal leaks? because i am worried!

Last edited by rider60 : 30th October 2007 at 02:21.
Old 30th October 2007, 03:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I know of a ton of people owning Korean crap which has been nothing but reliable and not to say they are fault-free but on a whole the experience (esp. when it comes to service & spare prices) has been nothing but excellent.
You can add me to that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Regarding Swift engine, I don't know why Maruti doesn't introduce M type engines in India. European Swift uses M13A/M15A/M16A engines which are all chain driven.
Maruti uses the M16 on the Indian SX4, just FYI.
Old 30th October 2007, 08:05   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
1. ive seen 2 accent crdi's with there engines dead @ 75-85k kms
both were new buys, both my friends were sick! and mad.
This topic is getting so interesting.
I called up some of my Hyundai car friends and have been told they arent happy after 80k mark. Power window and engine problems are most abound. In engine problems faced by majority especially in petrol accent are sudden loss of FE which is corrected by taking car to service station and getting all values checked/corrected again.

CRDi failures that I heard. Engines seized at 16k mark(warranty saved him). 48k mark, 75k and almost everyone else has heard of very high maintainence Accents when near to 1LAC mark.

Anyways. This is my last post in this regard. Have sufficiently read this thread all over again to notice that people from south arent facing even half the problems we have. Thus I will sufficiently make a conclusion for myself that in harsh north Indian conditions of extreme temperature changes, habit of excessive idling in people, stupid traffic and bad fuel is not very suitable for Accent.

Thank You.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 30th October 2007 at 08:10.
Old 30th October 2007, 23:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
so blue2ki dude you are trying to say that if the fuel used in the crdis are non adulterated or very less adulterated ones problems like this should not arise and the engine should run for its life time? l.e. 1.5lac kms+ shower some light on this please, any body?
1. bad fuel will kill your CRDi much sooner, than her natural life. fuel her good, shell live longer, but not forever.
2. fuel is not the only thing, maintenance, service, bad mods, etc. wud make her sieze too.
3. if your CRDi survives the 100k+ km mark, its because you had better diesel source, but good fueling doesnt mean, that shell go on forever.

salud!
Old 31st October 2007, 02:34   #70
BHPian

Timing gears

AFAIK the Tavera has timing gears and the taxi operators vouch for the ISUZU sourced engine being ultra reliable. Is this bit of the TAVERA having an ultra reliable engine true?
Old 31st October 2007, 05:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
AFAIK the Tavera has timing gears and the taxi operators vouch for the ISUZU sourced engine being ultra reliable. Is this bit of the TAVERA having an ultra reliable engine true?

yeaph yeaph we own a tavera that has done 1lac 20k kms on the odo and its engine still rocks, we have made it a point to get the nehicle serviced on time and it has given us good service! will post pics of the vehicle and the odo soon!
Old 31st October 2007, 06:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

also blue2ki there are alot of accent crdis that have survived the 1lac mark and are doing just fine, and even some of the taxis that i know have had the engine life go till 1.7 lac kms i have personally seen them well i think missing the periodic services, bad fuel and bad driving habits are the key to the vehicle's failure, please add any other reasons if forgot to mention them!
Old 31st October 2007, 11:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2ki View Post
..shell live longer, ...
...that shell go on forever.
By any chance, do you work for SHELL??
Old 31st October 2007, 12:06   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
By any chance, do you work for SHELL??
haha.. no bro, i wish
a little punctuation goes a long way
Old 31st October 2007, 13:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

That remionds me - when I casually commented on the hugeness of my Safari engine while getting it serviced, the mechanic mentioned - "yeh to chota 407 hi to hai"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
After all their truck motors do lakhs of kilometres here only on the crap fuel available at some places. Safari motor is inherently a truck motor only. Right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks