Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 16:10   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
most of the *korean bashers* (to pick a work used earlier in this thread) do not have any first hand experience to draw their opinions from
I think you are reffering to me

So yes I dont own any Hyundai product. Driven around a LOT in them though because relatives, friends, some other nears and dears were uummmm....Intelligent enough to buy them.
And each single car past 80-90k mark, whether petrol or diesel, has given tons of headaches.
Other cars in their garage like a maruti or a honda or a mitsubishi continue to soldier on faultlessly.

Just now came back after in my friend's Lancer diesel that is past 2LAC mark and he still prefers driving that. Incidentally, he also has an Accent CRDi, but he drives it only in emergency now that it close to 70k mark. Quite simply, he is scared that what if his Accent engine also fails like his elder brother's Accent(both cars bought together) and he gets all the blame put on him, since he was driving it at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
I personally know of a lot more Tata Indica's with the above mentioned problems and I am yet to personally see a single blown CRDi (though I am sure it happens)
Aha! So that's the reason behind all my hate for hyundai's.

Personally speaking I have NEVER seen any Indica giving major mechanical problems past 1LAC mark and have ALWAYS seen Hyundai cars give engine related problems (in addition to other problems) past 1LAC kilometers.
I'll again say ALWAYS and add the two words NO EXCEPTIONS too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
See just goes to show, just because a few cars you may have heard of that had problems doesn't mean the car is crap.
Good point my friend.
My opinion definitely IS based on feedback from all I know and how some of my friends at Car Bazaar comment on Hyundai resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
I can give you guys first hand feedback that through 86000kms, the engine on my crdi was as good as new.
you forgot to say Touch Wood just like Clip forgot

LOL. Joking. Just to ease some nerves :-)

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 29th October 2007 at 16:25.
Old 29th October 2007, 16:29   #47
BHPian

Clip I read your post and feel sorry for you man. There goes the money for the Alpine 9887 because of negligence.

Chalo, what is done is done.
DO NOT forget to take warranty in written from them.

P.S.>> I was going through the thread again and noticed those who arent happy with Hyundai reliability are mainly from North because they have seen and experienced mechanical failures themselves. While those who will back up Hyundai are from south because they havent seen much failures.
Difference in conditions? Fuel?

(Yes, problems surely ARE there. I'm sure Clip car taking 1LAC+ of repairs in a couple of years is NOT a good sign of reliability in anybody's book. Neither is my younger brother's 8 year old 85k kms run Petrol accent requiring ALTEAST 25k in maintainence every year is very good.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 29th October 2007 at 16:39.
Old 29th October 2007, 16:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Would it be relevant if I said that I've owned two pieces of the co-called Korean crap both of which have covered over 1L kms each without any issues as such?

My first Santro was sold with 1.05L kms with no problems on it apart from a suspension job which was needed due to bad road conditions in UP. My mother's current Santro is now at 1L kms and apart from regular servicing & tyre changes it has not needed any attention. Even the clutch is original till now & going strong (touch wood!).

Apart from these cars I know of a ton of people owning Korean crap which has been nothing but reliable and not to say they are fault-free but on a whole the experience (esp. when it comes to service & spare prices) has been nothing but excellent.
Old 29th October 2007, 16:45   #49
BHPian

i have seen it here ... hyundai is considered third rate...!!! ...who cares anyways ..i have an accent dls..she became six years old this past september ..clocked a 120k kms .. and still is strong..no probs what so ever... but yes i do regular service and maintanence according to owner manual..and yes i bought a verna too.. solid car .. so you see its about how you prefer to look at hyundai.. anyways i am one happy customer ..and i am waiting for the getz crdi(aint stupid enough to buy non abs version).. thats one hot hatch!!..so yeah stick to regular service and maintenance ...problems will be none as in my case..
Old 29th October 2007, 17:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
P.S.>> I was going through the thread again and noticed those who arent happy with Hyundai reliability are mainly from North because they have seen and experienced mechanical failures themselves. While those who will back up Hyundai are from south because they havent seen much failures.
Difference in conditions? Fuel?
I was wondering about the same. And even if this is true, this is difficult to attribute to fuel, or other conditions. Only thing I can think of is shoddy service wherever you are giving the cars for service. Suggest you keep a good watch on the cars when you receive them post service. And if that is not the case, probably owners simply not sticking to stipulated service intervals?

And yeah, my current car is an Elantra CRDi, done around 70K, and it is doing just fine. If the Engine had any inherent flaws, I am sure it would have blown up couple of time by now. Has been practically red lined at every gear shift till now. Not too many engines take that gracefully, Petrol or Diesel, and of course, Hyundai or otherwise.

And in Diesel crazy Kerala, many of my relatives have Diesel Hyundai s, well past the 1Lakh kilometre mark. None of this blow up stuff I have seen, or heard.

All said and done, I am really curios to know the specifics of "engine related problems" ScarySkulls have been noticing on the Hyundai s around him. Can you please give us some more specifics about the problems you have been noticing?
Old 29th October 2007, 17:20   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Would it be relevant if I said that I've owned two pieces of the co-called Korean crap both of which have covered over 1L kms each without any issues as such?
Maybe I've got this wrong but I think they're talking mostly Accents/Accent offshoots here Ishan - didn't see any aspersions on the Santro

Last edited by suman : 29th October 2007 at 17:21.
Old 29th October 2007, 17:33   #52
BHPian

Let me give some input here - as I also suffered problem with my Accent few months back!

I had an Accent (in UK with 1.5L petrol engine) for few months. I suffered some serious problems with it.

I bought the car with 67xxx miles [~110,000 km] on clock and added around 4000 miles onto it.

The problems I suffered:

ABS failure [Hyundai dealer quoted £700 to fix it - for ABS sensors and driveshaft] - I didn't fix it as normal braking was fine

Central locking failure - [had issue when I purchased it, but wasn't bothered as it was not major]

Immobiliser failure - last 2 months of my ownership, it became a lottery whether the car will start or not! On my holiday, at middle of road at midnight it refused to start! I had to call for roadside assistance and the guy started the car after disconnecting battery. There after, this problem happened many times and I had to re-connect battery every time it happened.

Passenger side power window - once down, it refuses to go up. In my last 2 month's of ownership, I never put it down again after I somehow managed to bring it up (labour+ parts cost to fix it £100). Again didn't bohter as it was minor issue.

Then came ECU fault, check engine light sometimes started coming out.... local garage said cat converter failure and asked me to take to Hyundai dealer.

While I was going to dealership, in the road, near dealership, the engine seized! I was very near to dealership, and simply walked to the workshop. The mechanic came and said engine has seized because of oil leak, which he showed me, but I couldn't reckon it myself unless he showed me! Few weeks back I checked engine oil and it was ok.

Did the low engine oil warning lamp came out? Yes, it did. And within minutes I stopped [rather car stopped itself as engine died] (as I was in middle of road on high speed, I couldn't simply apply the brake). The mechanic also said, usually oil warning lamp on means engine damage already has been done (now what's the point of giving warning after the damage? I prefer an old analog pressure gauge).

Hyundai quoted £3000 to fit a new engine and told me that they often get engine seizure issue with Hyundai cars (not because oil leak always though). I bought the car for £1500 so it was absurd to put a new engine. A local garage fitted an old engine (from scrap yard) for £650. It wasn't possible to overhaul the engine as labour cost would have been nearly £1000.

After that I put an ad on web and sold the car. When the buyers came, the car again refused to start because of the immobiliser fault! Fortunately buyer still bought the car for £900 (restarted after disconnecting battery).

I also had to replace the clutch for £125 earlier. But I won't complaint about that as it was quite natural on 110,000 km on odo. I lost around £1500 on the car in 8 months of ownership.

I feel, regarding the engine oil leak problem, I could have averted it if I used to look under bonnet more frequently.

lesions learnt:

Engine overhaul is a non cost effective option in developed countries.
Old cars are a nightmare to maintain (sometimes depends on luck also, but a research suggests that economical life span of an average car in UK just 7 years!)
Engine oil needs to be checked very frequently (at least twice a month) - because high speed driving (130-150 km/h) and massive mileage consumes oil much faster. In India, I used to drive at much slower speed and much shorter distances. So, I thought checking engine oil was ok every 2 months!

After that when I typed "Hyundai engine failure" on Google, I get quite a good number of cases! And in some cases, engine seized at below 40,000 miles (not just any engine oil run out problem - some other failures as well). I also tried "Suzuki engine failure" and didn't get that many hits

Even if the car didn't have the engine problem, I still have to sell it anyway - as ABS failure in an ABS equipped car would have cause an MOT failure (car's fitness test every year). And for immobiliser, it would take another couple of hundred pounds to replace the ECU circuit.
Old 29th October 2007, 17:36   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the problem seems to be identified as "neglegence of radiator hose related issue". But till that post, timing belt was mentioned a couple of times along with the advice to replace it a little before recommened age...

My question is -

Why does Hyundai CRDi engine use a timing belt? The Fiat Mutiljet uses a timing chain (so does my NHC) and hence the service life is practically infinite. I read my manual and there is no schedule for the timing chain replacement. Confirmed this with the service engineers at Deccan Honda.

To my surprize even the Skoda diesel engines (both the age old TDi's and and Pumpe Duse's use timing belts - recommened to be replaced at around 60,000 KM for TDi's and 45000 KM for Pumpe Duse's!!!)

What's the matter with Hyundai and Skoda? Why don't they deploy timing chains?

The multijet in Swift DDiS (and needless to say my NHC) is extremely silent so "noise deduction" can not be the reason...
Old 29th October 2007, 17:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Hi,

i have a 2003 accent crdi. it has done 80k kms. yesterday night, when i was on my way to some place on the highway, the engine suddenly lost power and after a 100-200 meters the engine stopped working.

there were no indications of over heating, no engine malfunction indication. then when i switched the key to the ignition again, the temp was maxed. i didn't crank the engine. there was smoke coming out of the engine when i opened the engine cap(where you fill engine oil). fortunately, this happened bang opposite a hyundai A.S.S.

They are saying, the engine needs an over haul and it will cost me 50k for the repairs. so please suggest how i go about it. should i get it done from the A.S.S. or from some other workshop? 50k is a bit too steep i think.

they will confirm again in a while after checking the engine properly. could this happen because of timing belt failure? it was due for a replacement. maybe the engine is ok.

one more thing. when i tried to start the engine again, it was like stuck. then after a few min. the self starter was like engaging and disengaging. i dont know how to explain this. i hope im clear.

please advise what to do.

thanks
clip.

p.s. - i searched but i didnt find anything related to this. if there is any thread, please do the needful.
rebuilding a CRdi engine is a costly thing.. Stick to *** so that THey have all the funny electronics..

It is difficult to find a soleniod controlled injector (hope that hasn't gone wrong ) in a local garage.. and they are costly too..
Old 29th October 2007, 17:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Good feedback This means that the Accent CRDi isn't as reliable as it was made out to be. Thanks.

If it was belt (can be) then that's the weakest link in any diesel engine and a source of constant anxiety.

WOULD ALL OF YOU PREFER A CHAIN TO A BELT ? NO HASSLES THERE ?

Think about it. I am trying to tell you all something.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
I'd prefer Timing Gears.. you game???
Old 29th October 2007, 17:50   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Why does Hyundai CRDi engine use a timing belt?
Because it is cheaper! Chain is always better. Unlike a belt, chain gives plenty of warning before failure. Belt can simply snap - causing extensive engine damage. It can happen even after recommended belt replacement.
Old 29th October 2007, 18:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Generally diesels are flushed at 50+K kms. Also if after the run-in period you switch to high grade synthetic oils or top of the line mineral oil, like Mobil Delvac, then engine flushing can be done at 75+K kms.

Flushing at 25K & then redoing it at 30K is blasphemy. Either the Hyundai guys have taken you for a ride or are messing up your vehicle. Did you see them flushing the engine and if with what? Generally I believe the customers are not allowed to enter the workshop bay.
Taken him for a ride? Last week they recommended that I flush mine at 18,000km and I got it done! The workshop fella told me its done every 20,000 kms
Old 29th October 2007, 18:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

OT:
I have a cousin who bought a Hyundai Accent petrol 1.5(1.8 was an option) in Dubai.
I didn't know what to tell him...But, I can't believe a Team-BHPian in UK picked up a used Hyundai accent petrol. Were U a student or what?
Old 29th October 2007, 20:48   #59
BHPian

With reference to the point of engine failures for accent CRDI at 70-80k, I feel it is a highly generalized statement. My car which has done 38k mostly in Bangalore city ( 90% in 3rd gear or below) has effectively run same number of hours as another person who has done 100k but mostly on highway. A cars life will depend on the number of hours it as run and the condition it has run. Not on it’s Kms. A car running in dusty,slow moving traffic conditions will have a much faster rate of deterioration than one which does most of the mileage on highways.
Old 29th October 2007, 21:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Because it is cheaper! Chain is always better. Unlike a belt, chain gives plenty of warning before failure. Belt can simply snap - causing extensive engine damage. It can happen even after recommended belt replacement.
Can you tell me some more examples apart from Swift DDIS which uses Chain drive?? Most of the cars in India including the highly reliable Toyota's run on Timing Belts. You just need to replace the belts and pulleys at proper intervals.

It is not true that by having a chain drive, you can be immune to timing faiures. A worn pulley bearing resulting in chain seizure can cause the same damage as a broken belt. So would be the case in gear drive if you dont take care of periodic checks and maintenance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks