Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 10:54   #31
BHPian

People, AFAIK engines are in their End of Life phase once they reach/near 100k and do become high on maintenance. If this is true, every car be it korean or japanese will face problems of different nature and its just that the system is going to be as strong as the weakest link which may be different for different cars and different owners (depending on how one drives) and how they have been serviced.
80k is a decent age on a car mates. Arent diesels known for big bang maintenance expenses? I guess it would be unfair to trash Hyundais overall due to these incidents.
In the US they used to (i dont know if they still do) offer 10 years 100,000Miles bumper to Bumper warranty. They wont do it if their products are actually crappy right?

Last edited by Venkatesh.C : 29th October 2007 at 10:56.
Old 29th October 2007, 10:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
the hyundai guys are giving me a warranty of around 80-100k kms on the engine. and the repair is going to cost a little more than 50k. it could go up to 60-65k because of a faulty water body bearing and timing belt tensioner
Too much! So that's 1LAC+ into repairs in the car over the past couple of years

How can a an engine in a used car be warrantied for 80-100k kms and a brand new from factory car doesnt have this warranty.

Better get all this in written from them. These people will do anything for a buck.

Quote:
now i think my problems will go away. i should get good fe now
I sure hope you dont get any more engine problem and car runs with good FE like before 80k mark.

However, rebuilt means engine department taken care of? What about your rest of the problems? What do these Hyundai guys say about your EXPENSIVE OE axles going kaput every 6 months?

Who is responsible for the car chewing away brand new tyres to half of their life in 1 single solitary month time?

Why dont they want to give a warranty on these counts also when you get everything brand new? Why arent they so confident of their great Korean mechanicals now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Clipto, Have U diagnosed the cause of engine overheating?
Are any radiator hoses busted?
Don't U watch ur temp. gague regularly while driving?
Yes, i also asked him same.

Nope. He didnt notice temperature guage rising. It was showing normal only. When he tried to restart the car after the incident, the needle swung to full temperature.

I'm at loss as to the cause. Either there is something wrong with the sensors that led to this, OR, something happened and bad luck made sure that even the temperature guage wasnt working well at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
But Sir ji tata engine major work wont cost that much, i would say they are cheapest to repair and no spare problems.
Absolutely true dear. Even if we consider TATA as reliable as Hyundai in Indian conditions, they are STILL, far far cheaper to repair and rebuilt.
I wouldnt be too surprised if TATA outclasses hyundai in reliability in Indian Conditions. After all their truck motors do lakhs of kilometres here only on the crap fuel available at some places. Safari motor is inherently a truck motor only. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
also i for got to mention that both at 25k kms and at 30k kms the hyundai guy flushed my engine and i am bit scared as to if this will lead to any kind of damage to any packings or seals in the engine please respond!!!
Honestly speaking, the engine internals shouldnt have been affected much. Flushing fluids have detergents meant to scrub and hold deposits within them while least affecting rubber parts, gaskets etc.

What you faced was only a money making exercise. Ensure it doesnt happen again. Too much of everything is bad also.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 29th October 2007 at 11:14.
Old 29th October 2007, 11:10   #33
BHPian

even my accent crdi has clocked 87000+ , no problem yet.Power is the same as when my dad bought it...
Old 29th October 2007, 11:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

we use to have a accent crdi long time back and it had a engine overhaul at 70 k

after that we sold it

even my friends accent had a overhaul at 70k
Old 29th October 2007, 11:47   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Changing over to a competent service station that does all the required jobs right in the first place is a better course of action than character assassinating Hyundai as the first recourse available.
Old 29th October 2007, 11:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
... than character assassinating Hyundai as the first recourse available.

Do take a look at the number of failures being reported here.
An eye-opener for me, and I'm sure for many others too.
You cannot call this as 'character assassination' when people are posting their experiences about when their Accent CRDi engines came due for an overhaul.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

I will not attribute this failure to Hyundai or any brand. I guess all these failures purely depend on the kind of care and maintenance on the car. For example in Indica, there are different versions for the change of timing belts. Some say 50K KM, some say 70K KM and some say for new model 100K KM. But I went for the lowest one. got it replaced at 55K KM. Its worth spending few hundred early than taking risk and touching limits.

CRDi engine are very good and solid, but as they are diesel, they need more care and timely maintenance. You do not too much liberty margins in any diesel engine, when it comes to maintenance.
Old 29th October 2007, 12:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Exactly my point rkbharat. Maintenence is key. Its better not to wait till manufacturer reccommended interval, change the part a little before time and avoid all the hassles.

Drifter
Old 29th October 2007, 12:41   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Do take a look at the number of failures being reported here.
An eye-opener for me, and I'm sure for many others too.
You cannot call this as 'character assassination' when people are posting their experiences about when their Accent CRDi engines came due for an overhaul.

I'll decide what I'd like to type, thank you. If that original post is read more closely, it does not support Hyundai for any product failures in any way, manner or form. Neither does it castigate the owner in any way for the unfortunate engine failure. Another word for describing the above 2 sentences are "Objective".
Old 29th October 2007, 13:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Folks!

I am the owner of a CRDi with 54+Ks on the clock. I have had my share of issues - albeit recent - with Hyundai. However I have noticed one thing... most of the *korean bashers* (to pick a work used earlier in this thread) do not have any first hand experience to draw their opinions from.

I have only one observation to make - Yes engines seize, Suspensions give way, Belts break, etc etc etc... we are talking about a vehicle here after all . BUT what is relevant, like Mag said, is to be objective - What is the percentage of failure. I personally know of a lot more Tata Indica's with the above mentioned problems and I am yet to personally see a single blown CRDi (though I am sure it happens).

While gremlins can exist - I put a majority of the problems faced down to our roads, driving conditions, and the maintenance schedules themselves! Most high performing engines of today are built to exacting tolerances - and PREVENTIVE maintenance is the KEY to a trouble free ownership experience - However a HUGE percentage of us in India go looking for a doctor ONLY AFTER we have fallen sick! Its just the way we are!

Secondly most Diesel vehicles are bought by people who travel a lot. Invariably a very high number of owners in this category therefore also employ a driver. I know a lot of these owners who leave the maintenance schedules to the driver - they would not know unless the driver reminded them. Lesser said about the vehicles being run as Taxi's the better!

I have heard of these problems myself - and have quizzed the service and the HMIL engineers on various occasions - and they concur that MOST of the failures is due to "negligence or driver error and tardy maintenance" . There is an entire legion of Hyundai owners in India who have NEVER had an issue with their vehicles.

Hence permit me to throw my weight behind the believers! - at least till such time that my experience(s) lead me to believe otherwise!
Old 29th October 2007, 14:17   #41
BHPian

hi guys,

the engine conked due to overheating. and im at fault. i remember the engine overheating earlier(a few days back)and i didnt get the engine checked after this.

i didnt start the engine for half an hour to let it cool down. there was no water in the reservoir. i topped the radiator and the reservoir(after starting the engine)
i diagnosed the fault and it was caused by a leaky hose. i got it replaced and then it was all good.

then i noticed that there was some kind of an oily deposit inside of the radiator cap. i thought ill get it checked the next day but couldn't go cause i was really busy with some work and i forgot.

so what i think is that the earlier over heating of the engine caused the gasket to conk off. then the seizure process started.

the engine conked when i tried to avoid a cyclist. i braked heavily causing the wheels to lock(i was at 90-100 kmph) then suddenly the engine failed(loss of power for 2-3 seconds then shutting down)

i dont blame the company or the engine. it happened due to a cut in the hose where you clamp it down to the metal pipe.

and the hyundai people use the engine flush on every oil change. it costs around 300 bucks. they also do carbon clean at 40k kms iirc.

ss,

the axles and wheel bearings conk off because of the conditions in which i drive. there are huge craters filled with water which i have to pass on my wy to my factory. the roads dont exist anymore. that area is in a pathetic state. ill take you there when you come next time.

cheers
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 29th October 2007 at 14:36.
Old 29th October 2007, 14:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the engine conked due to overheating. and im at fault.
..the axles and wheel bearings conk off because of the conditions in which i drive. there are huge craters filled with water which i have to pass on my wy to my factory. the roads dont exist anymore. clip
Clip, it is admirable that you choose to stick to the truth and accept the blame for 'negligence'. That takes courage. I'm sure we ALL appreciate this.
However, there are vehicles that survive these conditions without such catastrophic failures. I will not name any of them, for fear of starting a war in cyberspace!
Old 29th October 2007, 14:55   #43
BHPian

engine blown...

Clip,

The fundamental issue is that if the coolant/water is completely gone , the temperature gauge has nothing to read from and shows low temperature while the insides of the engine are getting blown to pieces

I can completely sympathize with you as I went through the exact same process , albeit with my 89 padmini.

I know karlos is and behram bhai will kill me if they read this, but if one is juggling way too many ***** at a time, these things happen.

I believe if your driving conditions are as bad, you might be better off switching to an SUV next, as really bad roads and FWD are not the best of friends.

VIjay
Old 29th October 2007, 15:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

See just goes to show, just because a few cars you may have heard of that had problems doesn't mean the car is crap.

I was an owner. I can give you guys first hand feedback that through 86000kms, the engine on my crdi was as good as new. Maintenence matters a lot like i've been saying again and again. Clipto overlooked the overheating issue and this contributed to a much more serious problem.

Drifter
Old 29th October 2007, 15:44   #45
BHPian

with Prabhu I would also suggest you to consider a more rough and tough vehicle to use in the road conditions you mentioned, how much will you invest time and again (As I understand after reading the entire thread) on your car, which is being wrecked by bad roads?

Last edited by sumitkalindi : 29th October 2007 at 15:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks