Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 13:05   #1
BHPian

Seat modification for better underthigh support

[Moderator's please move this to an appropriate thread
Ps: I tried to post it under Mod's but did not have sufficient privileges
]

1.My query is do people mod the Seat's in a Car?
2.Any good workshops in Bangalore that do this ?

I personally believe that the comfort of the car seat has a lot to do with
overall drive comfort in a car. For instance a simple example

This is from my personal judgment, the comfort level just sitting in
a stationary car drivers seat.

Mitsubishi Cedia - Awesome comfort
Ford Fiesta - Very good
Ford Fusion/Santro - Average comfort ( seats quite hard )

So wanted to know if its possible to mod the entire seat
i.e. not just changing a seat cover but changing foam, upholstery so that you can increase the seating comfort.
Old 8th December 2007, 14:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
[Moderator's please move this to an appropriate thread
Ps: I tried to post it under Mod's but did not have sufficient privileges
]

1.My query is do people mod the Seat's in a Car?
So wanted to know if its possible to mod the entire seat
i.e. not just changing a seat cover but changing foam, upholstery so that you can increase the seating comfort.
I did it in this little out of the way fly speck town of Dharamsala. I am sure you can find several shops who do this in Big Bang. You can make padded seat covers. You can have somebody modify your existing seats e.g. put more foam in the cushions. You can install whole new seats. There are usually just 4 bolts holding the seat to the floor. The rest is easy.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2008, 15:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Car Seat Upholstery Workshops in Bangalore

I am starting this thread as I could not find this information anywhere. Lot of threads on seat covers, but not on upholstery. Please merge if a thread already exists.

I need to improve the under thigh support of driver seat in my getz. I am 6'2" tall and find it uncomfortable.

I plan to increase height of the seat by 1" attaching a sheet metal to the bottom of the frame and foam the under thigh area of the seat by another 1".

Any good car seat upholstery shops in Bangalore for the same?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 31st July 2008 at 15:30. Reason: spelling
Old 16th August 2008, 13:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

There are many upholstery shops in J.C Road, take left in the signal after entering J.C Road from Lal Bagh side. This road has many lanes full of car accessory/ upholstery shops. I added foam from a small shop to improve underthigh support of driver seats in m Getz for 450 rupees. The driver seat shape is different from passenger seat because of passenger seat, but the underthigh support has improved for just 450 rupees.

Now I am not tempted to go for leather seats as the underthigh support was a major reason for contemplating seat and uphostery change of a new car.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 16th August 2008 at 13:31.
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:49   #5
BANNED

KALINGA : Well you can increase the height of your seat easily. Go to any car upholstery shop and ask them to add some extra foam/cushion to the seat. That's it !
Old 24th January 2010, 00:32   #6
BHPian

KALINGA, you can get some cushion added to existing seat to support your thigh,
also it may lead to having a patch on your existing seat covers as the cushioning would need either more cloth/leather or the seat maker would use a patch to extend the existing cover.

huge modification is not suggested as car seating is certainly designed after many analysis of seating posture, visibility, comfort, and other vital calculations done by manufacturer.

but you can always customize the seats to suit your need and make it more comfortable.
Old 24th January 2010, 00:37   #7
BHPian

@ghpk :- Thanks for your quick reply.

"huge modification is not suggested as car seating is certainly designed after many analysis of seating posture, visibility, comfort, and other vital calculations done by manufacturer."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That what i concern. I don't want to mesh with those above calculation.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
@ghpk :- Thanks for your quick reply.

"huge modification is not suggested as car seating is certainly designed after many analysis of seating posture, visibility, comfort, and other vital calculations done by manufacturer."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That what i concern. I don't want to mesh with those above calculation.
thats why I suggested, get only thigh cushioning done, rest you can leave as it, as its not your requirement.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seat modification - under thigh support needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo View Post
Anyone knows a upholstry guy who can do a good job on under thigh support for driver seat in Bangalore?
Pay a visit to JC Road and am sure you will find someone who can do the job. However under thigh support modifications is best done before you get a new set of seat covers. If you already have seat covers don't do it , coz the seat cover is always a snug fit to the mold and adding more foam will make the seats look drab.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: Seat modification for better underthigh support

Check out the Ovion guys near Richmond Road/ Mission Road area in Bangalore
I got this done for my Dad's Indica a while back - maybe a year ago.
They actually extended the seat frame (lower portion where one sits), loaded it with a nice roll of Foam and then had a set of nice seat covers stitched as per the new size specs. We discarded the old seat covers and other paraphernalia.
This was a specialized job and did cost about 15 grand or so at the time. Execution quality was tops!
Now the front seats of the Indica are really comfy for a tall person to sit in and drive because the under thigh support is so good that it is really relaxing when one drives long distance or even short distance. My Dad is pleased with the result and thats great as far as I am concerned.
shankar.balan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 10:17   #11
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I own a Chevy Beat and the seat is not comfortable for a long drive (long = 400+Kms).
I feel the seats lack under thigh and lumbar support. I also think the width of the seat which supports my back is small and these days I have been suffering with severe back ache (I drive for almost 60 Kms per day).

I want to replace the seats with the ones in Swift / Indica (I have driven these cars extensively without troubling my back).

Can you suggest if the seats can be replaced if YES then do you guys know any good place either in Bangalore or in Hyderabad.
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,
I own a Chevy Beat and the seat is not comfortable for a long drive (long = 400+Kms).
I feel the seats lack under thigh and lumbar support. I also think the width of the seat which supports my back is small and these days I have been suffering with severe back ache (I drive for almost 60 Kms per day).

I want to replace the seats with the ones in Swift / Indica (I have driven these cars extensively without troubling my back).

Can you suggest if the seats can be replaced if YES then do you guys know any good place either in Bangalore or in Hyderabad.
Same problem here. I have an i10 which provides a bare minimum lower back support . I had to undergone a physiotherapy to get the pain reduced.

The pain persists even after the treatment as i drive it more than 60kms a day..I had no issues while driving Wagon R as the lower part of the seat is very flat..

Need a quick suggestion regarding how to change the seat ?? where in bangalore...

thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 20:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2drive View Post
Same problem here. I have an i10 which provides a bare minimum lower back support . I had to undergone a physiotherapy to get the pain reduced.
The pain persists even after the treatment as i drive it more than 60kms a day..I had no issues while driving Wagon R as the lower part of the seat is very flat..
Need a quick suggestion regarding how to change the seat ?? where in bangalore...

thanks
Hi born2drive,
I went to a custom seat cover maker (Imperial Inc. behind IIM Bangalore) and told him about the lack of back support my seat provides, he said he can add some extra cushioning to the seat cover and while fitting the cover he said i can sit and check if there is sufficient cushioning, or else he will add some mote to ensure i get god support. The seat covers will be ready by 23rd of this month. i'll update if this helps or else may be we are left with no other option but to buy aftermarket seats.

He also mentioned that not much can be done to improve the under thigh support though. The maximum he can do is add some foam (sponge layer) which will improve the support a bit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Last edited by tckanth : 12th February 2013 at 21:01. Reason: Added Hyper link for the address.
Old 15th February 2013, 22:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi my sister used to drive the Lancer until now and used to find it extremely comfortable. She has now moved on to the Sunny diesel owing to the long distance she has to cover everyday ( approx 60 kms). Recently she has started complaining that the seat comfort of the Sunny is not as good as the Lancer and she would prefer it to be slightly more soft or cushioned. Any shops in Delhi which do this kind of a job?
Old 16th February 2013, 14:47   #15
BHPian

Even I am looking for someone in Delhi who can modify the seats of my Accent based on my requirements. It leads to back pain and long drives are tiring.
Meanwhile I will try adding foam as patiencewins and dirty dan mentioned.

I have driven a ford Ikon extensively and never had any trouble. My Matiz had seat covers (procured from kashmiri gate) with a lot of padding/foam, they weren't too bad either. But Accent is killing me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks