Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 17:39   #1

Increase ground clearance of Civic & improve mileage

Hi,

i am buying a civic and the ground clearance is quite bad. Can you help with how can i improve the ground clearance without impacting the performance of the car.
Also what kind of filters / other components can be fitted which can improve the mileage.
Old 13th December 2007, 18:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

You could install 1" aluminum spacers on the shock absorber mountings to increase ground clearance. Although it will reduce your fast cornering capability, but your daily driving will remain relatively unaffected.

The only genuine way of increasing fuel efficiency would be through your driving style!
Old 13th December 2007, 19:00   #3
BANNED

Hi,

If budget is not a constraint I would suggest you install Coil over suspension setup which is height adjustable and you get 36 levels of damping as well. Your ride will greatly improve and you can set it up as per the road conditions.

Viper
Old 13th December 2007, 19:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
You could install 1" aluminum spacers on the shock absorber mountings to increase ground clearance. Although it will reduce your fast cornering capability, but your daily driving will remain relatively unaffected.
Would this have any impact on warranty ?
Old 13th December 2007, 19:45   #5
BHPian

I am not sure if any of the modifications are good for the car's aero dynamics and am sure that these modifications would impact the warranty i.e., in case of damage, Honda will have the right to refuse to fix under warranty. As I see, the only way to overcome this problem is to drive carefully and hope that the speed breakers are designed more scientifically and as per the specified specifications.
Old 13th December 2007, 23:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Would this have any impact on warranty ?
All they need is a small excuse to say it is out of warranty..
Old 14th December 2007, 00:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_sharma20 View Post
i am buying a civic and the ground clearance is quite bad. Can you help with how can i improve the ground clearance without impacting the performance of the car.
Also what kind of filters / other components can be fitted which can improve the mileage.
better ground clearance?
Better mileage?
Better performance?

Time to consider the Optra Magnum instead!
Old 14th December 2007, 10:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yep you can add sluminium spacers for increasing the height to certain extent. But sad part is, suspesion sound will become more. Had done the same for my Zen, but reverted back to original setup only coz of the sound.
Old 14th December 2007, 14:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah.. avoid certain areas in Bangalore and you'll be fine. Horrible speedbreakers on the JP Nagar Ring road. All other speedbreakers are fine. A couple on the Bellary Road towards Yelahanka are also bad. If you are fully loaded you will scrape them. Trying going diagonal.

I suggest you do not change anything on the suspension. You will void the warranty and could spoil the car if not done properly.

Higher profile tyres might help but would give odo error and lesser mileage.
Old 14th December 2007, 14:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

If budget is not a constraint I would suggest you install Coil over suspension setup which is height adjustable and you get 36 levels of damping as well. Your ride will greatly improve and you can set it up as per the road conditions.

Viper
How much would this setup cost? Jiggy. and can this be done on most cars?
Old 14th December 2007, 17:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yep you can add sluminium spacers for increasing the height to certain extent. But sad part is, suspesion sound will become more. Had done the same for my Zen, but reverted back to original setup only coz of the sound.

I beg to differ - I had installed spacers on my Zen's shockers in 1998 it did a good job, stiffened the suspension a bit & no problems of tyre scrapping (wider tyres on alloys). Maybe your spacers were not installed properly.

Cheers
Old 14th December 2007, 17:34   #12

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I beg to differ - I had installed spacers on my Zen's shockers in 1998 it did a good job, stiffened the suspension a bit & no problems of tyre scrapping (wider tyres on alloys). Maybe your spacers were not installed properly.

Cheers
ditto...i had installed spacers 2" hard pu spacers on my zen(the rear),as the tires used to scrape.after that there were no issues.you cant feel the difference in daily driving.as far as noise from the shockers is concerned..i had a free flow setup.

Cant the civics ground clearance be increased by opting for bigger tires and rims where the overall diameter increases.this would help increase the GC,right?
Old 14th December 2007, 17:45   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
How much would this setup cost? Jiggy. and can this be done on most cars?
Hi Scooby,

I think this can be done on almost all cars. Costs will vary but should be in the general range of 45k upwards(for a set of 4 ) depending on the car, make of coilover, and the type that is height only or height & damping adjustable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

Cheers
Hi,

I agree with you installing spacers is no big deal whether it is Aluminium, metal
or PU or rubber and definitely does not make any sound unless it is badly made and installed.

Viper
Old 15th December 2007, 02:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Viper
Should / can you install Eibach lowering springs as well along with the coilover or is that unnecessary?
Old 15th December 2007, 03:05   #15

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Should / can you install Eibach lowering springs as well along with the coilover or is that unnecessary?
lowering springs on a civic....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks