Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 18:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Roof-mounted luggage carrier / roofbox /cycle carrier for Aveo

I need to carry a kayak (10' long) on my Polo for frequent trips, 100-200kms around Bangalore mostly.

Any suggestions please for appropriate but cost effective roof racks for this purpose.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:30   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
I need to carry a kayak (10' long) on my Polo for frequent trips, 100-200kms around Bangalore mostly.

Any suggestions please for appropriate but cost effective roof racks for this purpose.
Hi Manubhai, suppose this is a recreational kayak you are referring to. Incidentally, there is a group of white water kayakers based out of Bangalore. Check out kayaking india on FB.

Thule makes pretty good roof carrier systems. Their fit and clamping systems and the rated load carrying ability of the bars are proven. You could just get the towers, the clamps and the roof bars, and add in some cushioning to the bars to carry your kayak.

If you are able to read this message before this saturday, there's a learn to kayak session at Manchanbele. Likely the entire kayaking community of Bangalore and Chennai (about 20 of us will be there.
bent_gate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 13:37   #18
BHPian

Roof-mounted luggage carrier / roofbox /cycle carrier for Aveo-kayakcarrieroutdeck.jpg

Roof-mounted luggage carrier / roofbox /cycle carrier for Aveo-dsc_0014.jpg

Roof-mounted luggage carrier / roofbox /cycle carrier for Aveo-dsc_0013.jpg
manubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 13:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent_gate View Post
Hi Manubhai, suppose this is a recreational kayak you are referring to. Incidentally, there is a group of white water kayakers based out of Bangalore. Check out kayaking india on FB.

Thule makes pretty good roof carrier systems. Their fit and clamping systems and the rated load carrying ability of the bars are proven. You could just get the towers, the clamps and the roof bars, and add in some cushioning to the bars to carry your kayak.

If you are able to read this message before this saturday, there's a learn to kayak session at Manchanbele. Likely the entire kayaking community of Bangalore and Chennai (about 20 of us will be there.

Thanks a bunch Bent Gate !
I definately will be interested in any kayaking sessions in the future around bangalore. I have been to manchinbele ; its a stunning location for kayaking. Ill look up kayaking india for further info on this.
cheers.
Old 4th February 2013, 13:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:

I managed to source this recently from Thule....was not easy to find a car rack for the polo. None available on JC road. Thule is so expensive, but good stuff !
Old 4th February 2013, 18:17   #21

Quote:
I managed to source this recently from Thule....was not easy to find a car rack for the polo. None available on JC road. Thule is so expensive, but good stuff !
Cool. We switched the location to Manchinahalli. Was a splendid location. Obviously flat water stuff.

The next LTK session might be on a river. Probably class II types, and you may enjoy your kayak on the river a lot more

Yep, the Thule racks give you a sense of security. I just got the rack installed after four years of dragging them on bare roof. But didn't bother with the hull a port or such. Ideally may need a stacker at some point. But currently use the tribord foams for racks. Works well.
Old 4th February 2013, 18:39   #22

Quote:
Methodists automative stock Thule products. They are on Lalbagh road. I can't comment on the car specific adapters for the feet, but they seemed to have for most fits.

Manubhai, it's a beautiful looking rack What load bars are those. Aero?

Just a thought. you may additionally need Quick Draw 838 for bow and stern lines for securing that kayak completely on high speeds. Typically for white water kayaks, we pass the straps through the grab loops or lock bars on the kayak. But downside of passing the straps through the grab loops is that the straps start to act like guitar strings in the wind drag, while driving. So better to get those QD 838 lines.

On a side note, will list my experience with Thule rack for my Mahindra Bolero.

I installed:

- Thule 952 feet (meant for cars with roof gutters),
- SB 763 (load or square bars, 150 cm, but I thought 765 would have been nicer),
- and for security, Lockable knobs 527.

The setup cost Rs. 16.5k. But the cost seems comparable to US prices, so not too bad on the duties front. You could do without the locks, which were about Rs.4.5k. But once I saw the guys putting in the rack with such ease, I didn't want to risk my investment by leaving them unlocked.

When it came to the kayak stacker, I thought it was an overkill at Rs. 6.7k for a bent aluminum/steel rod. I will likely pick up a used one in US, and the older style, that allows for four kayaks to be stacked instead of the current one that takes up too much space.

Last edited by bent_gate : 4th February 2013 at 18:58. Reason: Additional notes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks