Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2008, 22:21   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Roof-mounted luggage carrier / roofbox /cycle carrier for Aveo

Moderators: Please merge this thread if warranted.

I am planning a Bangalore - Goa trip and need advice on adding luggage space to my humble Aveo 1.4!

It's a week-long trip with my wife and 2 kids so we have the usual luggage + 1 adult cycle (possible only if I get 3. below), 1 small cycle, 1 pram, 1 infant seat and 1 child seat! The last 2 obviously limit the rear-seat space where we could have just piled stuff.

The options are as below with my comments:
  1. Roof-mounted luggage rack: Umpteen manufacturers now make this with varying quality levels with prices starting from about 3k. The issue is whether any are custom-made for the Aveo or if they come with adjustable 'feet' for different cars. Remember, the Aveo doesn't come with roof rails as standard and nor does GM sell them as original accessories.
  2. Roof-mounted enclosed box: Thule is nearly 20k from Methods Automotive (Methods Car Parts and Car Accessories Online Shop and Distributors in Bangalore India, K&N Performance Filters, Sparco Motorsport Accessories). While quality will be world-class, it's like throwing money down the drain. Others do make them: Tropicool (http://www.tropicoolindia.com/inforoof.asp) and Mahaveer Motors (Chennai) and I will check with them tomorrow about costs/availability.
  3. Roof / boot mounted cycle carrier: Never seen 1 in India. They are really very easy to fabricate but has anyone come across these? Examples could be: Halfords Rear High Mount 3 Cycle Carrier from Halfords Was £99.99 Save £50.00 Price £49.99 or Halfords 2 Roof Mount Cycle Carriers from Halfords Price £55.99 or Halfords Value Rear Low Mount 2 Cycle Carrier from Halfords Price £37.99
I have searched TBHP with the following results:

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rrier-zen.html
2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-roof-box.html
3. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ier-swift.html
4. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...roof-rack.html

No one has actually confirmed that they have installed one successfully and/or provided some pictures. Hopefully they will now!

Please advise!
Old 13th January 2008, 22:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

Generally it is not recommended to go for rooftops for sedans. But if you really want this, then think again as your vehicle pillars and roof tops needs to be drilled. If drilling is done, put some proper washers and bolt it properly. Regardng pricing not sure though, the qualis roof carrier was costing around 5k approx. Have the experience of handling this part.
Old 13th January 2008, 22:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Snaronikar, thanks for the inputs! I have ABSOLUTELY NO desire to let anybody with a drill near my Aveo !

Any carrier/box etc will have to be plug-and-play with bracket-like 'feet' that you can adjust and tighten as required. I need it for say 3 trips a year and will simply detach and store in the loft or under-bed when not required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Generally it is not recommended to go for rooftops for sedans. But if you really want this, then think again as your vehicle pillars and roof tops needs to be drilled. If drilling is done, put some proper washers and bolt it properly. Regardng pricing not sure though, the qualis roof carrier was costing around 5k approx. Have the experience of handling this part.
Old 13th January 2008, 22:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Also, is it true that vehicles with private registration cannot have roof carriers? If correct, what is the rationale behind this and do private vehicles get stopped on the NHs because of this?!
Old 31st July 2008, 16:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nopes they dont stop private vehicles with roof carriers. And AFAIK its not illegal.
Old 1st August 2008, 16:47   #6
BHPian

Its not illegal, but get a little trailer instead

Nothing is illegal I am sure. But god it'll look bad. Like snaronikar said, no one does rooftop carriers on sedans. What I have seen abroad though is they put a little trailer behind the car which carries everything that cannot be put in the car. I have seen these trailers attached to very good looking Fords and Holdens abroad and they even have rules like the tail lights and indicators are compulsory etc.

There is one person in Pune (I stay in Pune) who makes these for about 15K and he also sells superbikes to people here. My friend has 2 Hondas which he bought from him. It was there I saw it and he said, I could make it for you anytime you want. They use the carrier to carry bikes behind cars which a lot of customers demand. But it sure looks hipper than the carrier.

There is one difference though, Australians have V6's to pull this load cheers:. I have seen an Esteem pulling it nicely in Pune with 2 Enduro KTM's on it. This would be more of a permanent solution for you since I believe you travel a lot plus a lot cooler

I wish markets were more developed in India. In Oz, one could just go buy it from the mall..
Old 19th February 2012, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Luggage Carrier for Wagon R - Bangalore

Hi,

I need a luggage carrier urgently for very occasional use, for my Wagon R (has roof rails).

What is the cheapest available, which can be fitted/removed without a trip to service center every time ? I will be using it once in a year or so !

Called Surakshaa, and they mentioned an aluminium model for around 7.5k (not hiker). Hiker was quoted at 8.5k

* Any recommendations for brands ?
* Dealers / places where I can buy it and get it fixed, preferably in Jayanagar/JP Nagar/Koramangala Area. IF not, then JC Road ?

Thanks !
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Luggage Carrier for Wagon R - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavm View Post

Called Surakshaa, and they mentioned an aluminium model for around 7.5k (not hiker). Hiker was quoted at 8.5k

* Any recommendations for brands ?
* Dealers / places where I can buy it and get it fixed, preferably in Jayanagar/JP Nagar/Koramangala Area. IF not, then JC Road ?

Thanks !
Hello Abhinav,

were you able to get one so far? I'm looking for one such to free up the rear seats on my XUV for long trip. I'll have very tight budget since this may be used rarely so Thule may be out of the scope for me it seems.
How about the other products (in terms of safety, reliability and usability) offered by Tropical and Mahaveer as someone mentioned earlier.

If others have any experience, inputs, please share. I'm Planning to with the 350-400 ltr one that has got minimum air resistance.
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2012, 23:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavm
Hi,

I need a luggage carrier urgently for very occasional use, for my Wagon R (has roof rails).
Hi abhinavv, did u get the carrier fixed? I am looking for a roof box for my ritz for the long drives. I need some help here. Also, did u have any handling issues at high speeds.
Old 7th September 2012, 09:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Roof-mounted luggage carrier / roofbox /cycle carrier for Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivbel View Post
Hi abhinavv, did u get the carrier fixed? I am looking for a roof box for my ritz for the long drives. I need some help here. Also, did u have any handling issues at high speeds.
The brand called Thule has a few models and you might want to check with them. From what I have seen most of these roof carriers have an aerodynamic design and considering the Indian road conditions what handling issues are you referring to ?

IMO nothing to worry since you aren't doing super sonic speeds , simply enjoy your drive .
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 09:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have been talking to Tropicoolindia for a couple of days, also spoke to Thule dealer 2 days back.
Thule have got a decent option but comes at a price, while Tropicoolindia is dealing in a brand known as Inno (Jap brand) and should be a better deal compared to Mahaveer whos cloning Thule (I still dont know about his quality so this comment may not have much facts).
Again, my immediate requirement for this one is a bit flapping, but will be decided in another couple of days or so and I shall update what I find. In the meantime, if anyone of you have any experiences/info about Inno, please share.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The brand called Thule has a few models and you might want to check with them. From what I have seen most of these roof carriers have an aerodynamic design and considering the Indian road conditions what handling issues are you referring to ?

IMO nothing to worry since you aren't doing super sonic speeds , simply enjoy your drive .
Thanks Mate, I was checking out Thule just this morning, I hope I can find something that will not make Ritz look very bad on the roads.

As to the handling issues, I read in some body's post that a carrier will add to the weight, and since the car is too tall, the height with the carrier along with the luggage weight might just be too much handle at high speeds. Well.. Since, I don't have an option, I will just have to get a carrier, and test it at moderate speeds.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10th September 2012, 22:09   #13
BHPian

I just found out Thule roof carriers cannot be fitted to Ritz because of the short roof and also because roof rails cannot be mounted on it.

On another note, I also found out that the roof carrier for an ertiga costs a whopping 54k! And u cannot keep a lot of luggage in it for the price you are asked to pay. Just an FYI.
krivbel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 00:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just found out Thule roof carriers cannot be fitted to Ritz because of the short roof and also because roof rails cannot be mounted on it.

On another note, I also found out that the roof carrier for an ertiga costs a whopping 54k! And u cannot keep a lot of luggage in it for the price you are asked to pay. Just an FYI.
I'm repeating what I said earlier with some more details. Thule's got cargo boxes available in different size and dimension. You should be able to find one. Pacific 200 DS or Pacific 100 DS are smaller ones and I'm sure will fit a hatch.
http://www.thule.com/en/IN/Products/...Carriers/Boxes
They have got the universal mount/rack system that can be used on any vehicles without the roof rails. Ask for these/ talk to a dealer and you should get it done.
However, to me, Thule is on expensive side and only the cargo box mount system may cost about 14-18K depending on what kind of solution you go for and about 20-40K for such basic models of cargo boxes, so overall, you may not be able to get the full worth of this product considering we don't use it that frequently in India (at the most, once or twice in a year with some folks as exceptions).

With regards to Mahaveer motros, I have heard that their product is not so good in terms of quality, so for now, I'll stay away unless I get a good feedback or experience.

That left us with Inno. This is a Japanese brand and is doing good in international markets (not so good in India since there's hardly a market, whatever is there includes rich SUV folks, who will always go for high-end Thule and may not bother to compare or they may not have time to do so). That's attracted some discount on this brand, I'm trying to find out more on the mount/fit system, I shall share my experience if I go with this option.
Old 11th October 2012, 12:56   #15
BHPian

Hi krivbel

Quote:
I got a carrier (not box) fixed from one of the dealers in Jayanagar 9th block (was recommended overall here at TBHP in dealer thread). Don't remember the name.

Mine is the brand "Classique", model Flame. IIRC I paid somewhere b/w 4k-5k for it.

Please note that the recommended weight on roof rails is very less (on Wagon-R it is 20kgs).

Regarding high speed handling - I went on couple of trips on good highways, didnt face much of an issue in terms of handling (Bangalore-Coimbatore, Bangalore-Chikmagalur). I am not too much of an aggressive driver but the Wagon-R did go upto 110-120 at times without any issues.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks