Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 13:22   #1

what can be done for a 2002 3.0L V6 Honda Accord?

i've been trying to peg down ways to boost the output on my ford ikon zxi and running up against a wall in terms of parts and the boost i can get...

so i started looking around and found i could get a 2002 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 automatic for around 4-5Lacs. It might be a SOHC VTEC, have to confirm.

Just wondering how far this baby can be maxed out. Any one has turbocharged any of these?

i guess starting out with 220BHP and then turbocharging it should make it a screamer.... can i put in twin turbos, please?

what will be the cost?
just wanna know if its possible before loosening my purse strings quite a bit.

in the same vein what can be done for a 1995 BMW 318D??????
Old 11th April 2008, 13:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamz View Post
so i started looking around and found i could get a 2002 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 automatic for around 4-5Lacs. It might be a SOHC VTEC, have to confirm.
Is this an import? The Indian V6 wasn't available back then .. !!
Old 11th April 2008, 14:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

My friend, get the V6 as it will be easier to live with than the Beemer.

Get it and come back to TBHP.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:17   #4

The Accord will definately be an import!!
Also i think the accord came with a Bolt-on turbo option. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 11th April 2008, 15:46   #5

the Beemer has some 1.8L engine, and i believe diesel at that...

the Accord is - interesting ... i'll should get to look at it tomorrow.

first time buying a 2nd hand, wondering what'll i need to make sure is in fine working order especially given what i intend to do with it
Old 11th April 2008, 15:57   #6
Awaiting Email Confirmation

GAUTamz , please I asked you for the engine spec for a reason..it IS an import but what spec? Then probably we can help you.If that is what you are aiming for I hope.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

I'm guessing what Nitroxx is saying is that if this is the J30A1, you can drop the Acura 3.2 cams into the heads. This should produce noticeable improvements higher in the rev range.
Old 11th April 2008, 18:19   #8

nitroxx... i will get full details when i get to see the car tomorrow.

all that i know for now is that it is an automatic transmission , honda accord year 2002. the engine is a 3.0L vtec. run 48000Kms.

i will definitely come back with all the info - on the engine, the transmission, the brakes, etc by tomorrow night.

what i was looking for is to know if someone has performance modded a honda accord before and how easy/tough it was?
i would be interested in buying the car only if i can mod it.
Old 11th April 2008, 18:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamz View Post
nitroxx... i will get full details when i get to see the car tomorrow.

all that i know for now is that it is an automatic transmission , honda accord year 2002. the engine is a 3.0L vtec. run 48000Kms.

i will definitely come back with all the info - on the engine, the transmission, the brakes, etc by tomorrow night.

what i was looking for is to know if someone has performance modded a honda accord before and how easy/tough it was?
i would be interested in buying the car only if i can mod it.
Heard of one which was turboed but think it was a 2.4L. There should be more example in India.
Old 11th April 2008, 18:52   #10
Awaiting Email Confirmation

akshaye has pinned the donkey!!!!auto tranny? man you are gonna need a miles 1 card for this one...
Old 12th April 2008, 02:40   #11

miles 1 card?

neways here's some more dope...

this will definitely eat into my "save money to buy an audi s4 or similar in 3yrs fund". there's no way i am shelling out 8L -- 4/5L for buy and 3/4L for modding -- till i am damn sure it will be worth it.

i intend to start scoping out new cars while paralleling seeing what i can do for the ikon. if i can do something about that and tune the ikon's output to 130-150BHP then i'll happily wait out my 3yrs

the accord interests me because its a 3.0L V6 SOHC VTEC from Honda at 4-5L... especially given Honda's rep for making easy to tune high rev engines. The 3L V6 used in the Accords in 2002 is sourced from the Acura CL series...

The problem and the big one at that is this - the automatic transmission sucked big time - too many transmission failures. it lead to a class action suit against Honda - making Honda issue 7year or 100000mile warranties on these models.

the other one is that the 2002 Accord is essentially a based on the 1998 model. Honda Accords are refreshed every 5 years... the 2002 was no great shakes over the 1998 model, even the engine while from the Acura family is a 1998 model.

but then i don't think the transmission is a worry - i intended to rip it out and put in a manual - the first immediate job on the car - if its possible, otherwise i would need a very compelling reason to buy it.

but if the car is truly a bargain and the tranny can be fixed, then i might seriously consider it. as i said its a Honda and has Acura in its lineage. searching the net i learned that tuned properly the engine can put out anything from 300 - 400 , at the wheel, with just 8-10psi turbo.
Old 12th April 2008, 06:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Get a flood damaged Accord in your city whose engine has died but exterior and other electronics are good. Then import and plonk, overhaul and mod the best engine you want in it. This will be a better option.

Conversion from auto to manual tranny, you are looking at upwards of 1.5 lak minimum.
Old 12th April 2008, 07:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Get a flood damaged Accord in your city whose engine has died but exterior and other electronics are good. Then import and plonk, overhaul and mod the best engine you want in it. This will be a better option.

Conversion from auto to manual tranny, you are looking at upwards of 1.5 lak minimum.

Excatly! Or better still, get a used RS and call up Mr peter!!
Converting an Auto into manual is not as easy as u think it is dude!!
Old 12th April 2008, 08:40   #14
rippergeo

an automatic transmission for a modder? not the best idea IMO

Old 12th April 2008, 08:49   #15
BHPian

Ditch the accord & get a second hand civic & you have all options available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks