Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 10:32   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Hi!,

I've been planning to put an cold air intake system for my Accent. On reading through various threads one thing which came to my mind is that is there any actual difference in terms of power delivery or interms of fuel efficiency or is it just the sound and some bit of smoothness. I generally drive in range of 1000-2300 RPM and it's also said that the power difference or the efficiency of CAI comes in at higher RPM and at lower RPM actually it makes the car more sluggish.

I recently got my car Tri-Phase and it's doing well . I was just thinking if adding CAI makes sense for my style of driving. Experts pls help me out.

Thanks
Saurabh
Hi Saurabh,

The volume of air sucked by the universal filters is more than the stock one, so engine has more air to breath.But if we are talking serious performance, I dont think its going to add so much so that you can write home about. Yes a nice growl, and better throttle response, is a definite bonus. If you at all buy a CAI ensure that you dont put that in the place of stock location as then instead of CAI it would become HAI ( Hot Air Induction) try to do something that navpreet318 has done. Fallout would be that you wont be able to drive in waterlogged condition.
Old 12th January 2009, 10:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

@saurabh, did you mean CAI vs. Stock airfilter + box? Or CAI vs. a Conical/Universal filter (open-to-the-elements) install?

I can share my personal experience in two CAI vs. Stock airfilter + box scenarios. I swapped the stock box & K&N stock-replacement-filter in my Palio 1.2 with a K&N Apollo CAI. It reduced the car's low-end response substantially, but improved the top-end response substantially. High-rev driving was real fun, and the car responded well once it got moving -- picking up speed was much easier. The growl was great and it made me keep revs high all the time. Fuel Efficiency came down substantially, no doubt because of the high-rev-style driving. The car used to struggle in initial pickup, to the extent that the car used to shudder if I pressed the accelerator too fast and too hard initially. I'd used this fiter for about 2 months I think, by which time the car was sold. Overall, I think the car was better with the stock-air-box and the K&N stock-replacement filter.

I swapped the stock airbox & filter in my Swift 1.3 (Petrol) about 2 weeks back for a K&N Apollo CAI. I'm very happy with the results so far. The low-end pull of the car has improved quite a bit. The car pulls itself from standstill better, and in traffic, after a slight press of the accelerator, the car pulls itself forward in 1st without effort (without blipping the accelerator). Earlier the car needed to be revved a bit to get it to move properly. Acceleration feels very meaty in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. The car revs much easier and gets to speed much easier than before. I don't think there is a whole lot of improvement in the top-end, though. I haven't really taken the car to the highway for long runs yet, except for short distances.

So overall, I've felt a CAI can improve driveability quite a bit, though it may not make much difference as far as raw performance is concerned.

If you were wondering about an open air-filter install vs. a CAI install, I think a CAI install is likely to be safer, in terms of water not splashing on the filter element (while driving in the rains, or while a stupid water-service guy washes the car). An open filter tends give out a much louder intake growl, so if you like it, well, better. An open filter will also be much cheaper than a CAI.

As most people know, I'm totally dumb on engine-vengine and all this is what I've felt from personal experience

Last edited by hydrashok : 12th January 2009 at 11:00.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:41   #18
BHPian

Yes Cold air will definitely help your engine. But how much mone to spend for that is your call.

I have a low budget DIY CAI using a foam filter called UNI.
Old 12th January 2009, 12:02   #19
BHPian

Hi, the Cedia looks like it already has a cold air intake, as the inflow is extended to the front grill. is my understanding correct?
Old 12th January 2009, 12:10   #20
BHPian

Guys,

I have the pipercross universal filter on my Getz along with Automech FFE (4X2X1). After these mods, though the car has become more driveable in city, I think the top end has taken a hit. When I take it for long drives, I can reach to around 100 easily but beyond that it really struggles a lot. Inspite of flooring the accelerator pedal beyond this limit (around 100), the car hestitates to move forward and struggles before inching. The effect is more pronounced with AC and 4 people on board. I think this is what is called as throttle response isnt?. Will a CAI help in this case?. I was also told by some one else that a fuel pressure regulator will help. Let me know your thoughts on how to improve my top end performance.

Thank you.
Old 12th January 2009, 13:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

One of the biggest mistakes that people make when installing an aftermarket filter is they forget to reset the ECU.

someone please shed some light on how to reset the ECU.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 12th January 2009 at 14:12.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:05   #22
BHPian

To reset the ECU just disconnect the car battery for 15-20 mins.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yes and crank the car a few times to drain the residual electric change in the circuit.

Start and let the car idle for 10-15 mins to readjust to the increase air flow.also after that press the throttle to full rpm for about 30-60 seconds.this way the ECU readjusts for idle and WOT.
This way is debatable but to each his own.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Guys,

I have the pipercross universal filter on my Getz along with Automech FFE (4X2X1). After these mods, though the car has become more driveable in city, I think the top end has taken a hit. When I take it for long drives, I can reach to around 100 easily but beyond that it really struggles a lot. Inspite of flooring the accelerator pedal beyond this limit (around 100), the car hestitates to move forward and struggles before inching. The effect is more pronounced with AC and 4 people on board. I think this is what is called as throttle response isnt?. Will a CAI help in this case?. I was also told by some one else that a fuel pressure regulator will help. Let me know your thoughts on how to improve my top end performance.

Thank you.
Is that a GETZ 1.3 ? even if its the 1.1 - I dont think it should struggle so much to go beyond 100. Better to check the current filter before u change.

the DIY option suggested by Navpreet sounds good.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:42   #25
BHPian

a cai will create some lag as compared to a sri . Imho it isnt worth the extra money . if you still feel the top end is drastically hampered due to hot air get a scoop made in the bonet. i ve got one made cost me 5000. intake temps are surely down by 5-8C
Old 12th January 2009, 14:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
a cai will create some lag as compared to a sri . Imho it isnt worth the extra money . if you still feel the top end is drastically hampered due to hot air get a scoop made in the bonet. i ve got one made cost me 5000. intake temps are surely down by 5-8C
Do you mean to say that the scoop on your car has a temperature difference of 5-8 deg C form ambient temperature or as compared to the factory intake temperature? Did you use a thermometer to check this?
Old 12th January 2009, 15:11   #27
BANNED

Cold AIR will help more in engines which require copious quantities of air. Diesels as a rule need more air. As for the Accent it is not a high revving engine either, so the gains may at best be marginal.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

I'd really not agree with the above.Any engine needs cold air.you cannot compare cold air with engines using copious amounts of air.

whether more or less cold air will definitely be a boon for the engine and give better performance.

If you're talking about free flow filters then you're correct.most of the times i have seen nearly zero increase in performance and mostly its not performance but its the roar from the air intake.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

There's this BMW/Jag/Porsche independent service centre here where the guys were laughing at kids wanting to put in CAIs in cars here.

I'm not qualified to comment on what they say, but the guys out there say a CAI shows measurable differences in performance in temperate climates where the outside air temp is significantly lower than it is in the engine bay.

The guys say that CAI shows zero gains in summer here, and probably exposes the filter to more dust than it would've caught inside the engine bay.

So CAI is kind of laughing stock here.

BTW I went to them to try and get a replacement for the exposed Simota in my enginebay that was always getting covered with sand when we go out into the desert (which is every weekend). Had to explain to them that I wanted a CAI not for performance gains but for protection of the filter element from dust, as going back to stock on the Defender would be more expensive as the plumbing and MAF wiring had all been modified to place the filter on the OTHER side of the engine bay.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Yup that is another fact.These aftermarket exposed air filters are useless in dusty conditions.and more so in case of hot environments.
here i'm enjoying the winters to the fullest.there is marked improvement in the performance of my car as well as bike.

If one installs a CAI the filter should be in a housing.much like the green dynamization kit of the k and n appolo assembly.

this really helps keeping a lot of dust off as most of the dust gets removed from the air in the connecting pipe as the pipe turns and the dust settles there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks