Team-BHP - Is Cold Air Intake actually worth the money?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Is Cold Air Intake actually worth the money? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/39238-cold-air-intake-actually-worth-money-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by grease.monkey (Post 4351741)

I wanted a CAI and Blackworks made me one clap:

I recognise the orange piping. :) He did a similar exercise on my car and the results were excellent.

You must really be enjoying your ride now grease.monkey? Do put up some videos whenever possible.

Probably a noob question. But experts can guide here.

Considering the fact that snorkels are used to make the position of intake port higher placed than that of stock ones and away from the engine bay, does it alter engine characteristics and by chance act as a cold air intake(i.e provide a cold and more oxygen rich air to the combustion chamber)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoSierra (Post 4699882)

Considering the fact that snorkels are used to make the position of intake port higher placed than that of stock ones and away from the engine bay, does it alter engine characteristics and by chance act as a cold air intake(i.e provide a cold and more oxygen rich air to the combustion chamber)?

That's a good query. But wont the intake placed higher up like next to the bonnet or A pillar suck in more dust too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoSierra (Post 4699882)

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban legend (Post 4718493)
That's a good query. But wont the intake placed higher up like next to the bonnet or A pillar suck in more dust too?

Snorkels are purpose built to increase the water wading ability of the vehicle. They have no other utility. The increased length of the air intake + extra bends lead to less efficient suction and reduced throttle response. The air is nonetheless routed through the air filter, so you don’t have to worry about dust.

I am using a K&N Performance conical filter and intake in my 2005 Gypsy King. Along with the steel pipe etc it may have cost about 8K-9K...

It was fitted a while ago - perhaps 8 months or so back. I cant remember exactly. But it did make a difference in the performance and drive ability of my Gypsy.

It used to make that sound when the engine was started while it was dragging air in.

Of late, it has come down a bit. Perhaps it needs a clean job. The air quality and high levels of dust and other particles definitely detract from the overall performance of this filter.

Also, the amount of muck drawn in, tends to contaminate the engine oil as I believe I am seeing now. So it is perfect when the vehicle is being driven in less dusty conditions where the overall air is cleaner and less contaminated. I’m not sure it is the best solution for our Indian conditions. Maybe the stock air filter which is nicely enclosed in that plastic tray is actually more sensible....

Even I am planning to improve the air intake in my swift petrol. Followed by exhaust headers and ffe. Considering our dusty conditions and the various threads on this topic I feel the best overall result would be with 1. Stock replacement filter from k & n or green cotton 2. Reroute the air intake pipe away from hot air in the engine bay but keeping in mind to avoid direct water or dust going in ( the pipe end pointing downwards and behind the headlight or next to the battery ) 3. Bonnet scoops to reduce heat build up in the engine bay.

The problem with a conical/cylindrical or even a panel replacement filter is that in our conditions, it gets clogged very fast, especially if the filter is oil based. And once the filter clogs up, the performance reduces quite a bit. Frequent cleaning is required in our environment for it's optimum performance.

The panel replacement filter is slightly better in this regards.

With a CAI, NVH increases too.

I ran with a BMC CAI on my previous car as well as a Cosworth panel filter. A year before selling it, I went back to the stock filter and the car on the whole became so much smoother and torquey, I decided I won't go with a performance filter again unless I want to hear the intake roar.

Panel replacement filter means replacement filter within the original filter box and keeping the air intake system and piping same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban legend (Post 4718890)
Panel replacement filter means replacement filter within the original filter box and keeping the air intake system and piping same?

Yes. The filter element is not paper based as in stock filters. It's a mesh type filter and not oil based, most of them.

It is breathes a bit better than the stock filter, but gets dirtier fast too.