Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2008, 17:41   #1
BHPian

Car Seat Massage cushion

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me how effective is Seat Massage Cushion? I get back ache after a very long drive, I hope this brings some comfort while driving. I am planning to fit one for my Swift.

I saw it in this URL:

Back Massage Cushion from China Xiamen Manufacturer, Exporter : Xiamen Wellrelax Electric Appliance Factory Ltd

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks
qA
Old 8th May 2008, 18:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Please define what is a very long drive?

I don't think its a good idea.

A back ache is generally a symptom of a bigger issue.
Is there a posture issue.
Are your shoes agravating it.
Dehydration or food that produces gas.
Temperature, a very cold AC setting and driving without socks.
A hard clutch.

Look into why you are getting that back ache.
Old 8th May 2008, 18:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi QA

This is a fantastic discussion on solutions for back ache. I am sure it will help you immensely.
Old 8th May 2008, 19:42   #4
BHPian

Hi,
Last week, I drove from Chennai to Yercaud (onward around 370km) and back the next day (via hoganekal around 400km). I basically had some kind of muscle fatigue. I used ELECTRIC TENS after returning back home, it gave me good relief.
I was wondering if something of this sort is readily available and can be used inside the car and I came thru this URL.

Awaiting some more inputs....

Regards,
qA
Old 10th May 2008, 01:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

It works for small back pains relating to fatigue. I can personally vouch that if you are to drive with a persistent and nagging back ache not related to driving long distances the massagger can certainly help you drive with lesser pain. I have a broken back and at times the pain creeps up. Last year I was in quite a painful situation and had to drive from shimla to delhi. I used one and it certainly made the trip less painful. Apart from this I dont use the massager as a regular thing to beat travel fatigue. But my younger brother does on long drives and swears by its usefullness.
Old 10th May 2008, 07:28   #6
BHPian

Thank you wanderernomad.
I am also looking something for the similar purpose. If you have pictures or some specifications of the massager, please share it with me. By the way is it durable? I heard it draws its power from the power adapter/cigarette lighter provided in the car, I hope it does not cause any problem to the car or its battery. How long can one use it continuously?

qA
Old 10th May 2008, 09:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

These are available in India for about 2600/- INR.

As long as the engine is running no need to worry about the battery. Will post specs later today.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

@anand I bought one from Delhi and it costed me about 1000/- bucks. It draws power fromt he ciggi lighter and as long as you are running the engine there is no problem using it. I have found durablity to be quite satisfactory. No issues on that aspect.
Old 12th May 2008, 15:19   #9
BHPian

Thanks. Can you post some details of the product?

qA
Old 26th June 2008, 10:05   #10
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2008 at 13:55.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Seat Massage cushion

I have recently purchased a full back massager from Croma store. The store had 2 models to choose from. One was a simple vibration type car seat cushion which came with AC adaptor (for home use) and car cigar lighter adapter (for use in car). Wattage was 14 Watts.

The other model, which I purchased, also looks similar to a car seat cushion. But this is not a simple vibration type massager, this is actually a rolling ball massager (which closely replicates the massage given by a person). This model came only with an AC adaptor for home use. Wattage of this model is 70 Watts. Car cigar lighter adaptor was not provided in the package, but sales person mentioned that I can purchase a 70 W car adaptor separately and use it in car also.

Now, here are my doubts/questions:

1. What is the upper limit of Wattage for car cigar lighter adaptors ?

2. Are 70 W cigar lighter adaptors easily available in the market ? What would be the approx price ?

3. The instruction manual of the massager explicitly mentions that this product is not for use in automobiles. Why ? Is it because of the high Wattage or because of safety reasons ?

4. Is it advisable to use the massager while driving ? I would really like if I can get my back massaged while I drive back from work.

I don't have any back problems in general. But I do get occasional lower back pain because of bad posture and exposure to airconditioning all day at work.

Rohan
Old 27th June 2011, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Back massage or any kind of massage induce sleep in me. I will never take one for car seat.
Better to break the journey into smaller parts. And yes it does indicate to something deeper. Might be posture issues or something else.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
The other model, which I purchased, also looks similar to a car seat cushion. But this is not a simple vibration type massager, this is actually a rolling ball massager (which closely replicates the massage given by a person).
Can you please share some more details about this product: price etc? I might use it at home for those long/ tiring days at work!
IMHO, its better to resolve the root cause of the back problems than get this as a workaround in the car.
TIA
Old 27th June 2011, 14:03   #14

First of all let me introduce myself, I am George and I work in Mercedes-Benz in R&D for seats. I hope my reply satisfies your query to some extent.

Almost all of the current massage systems available as an aftermarket attachement are with electrical motors similar to the mobile vibrators. This kind of massager may give some kind of comfort for a short while, but for me it was kind of painful in the long run.

In premium auto segment i.e. in Mercedes-Benz BMW's and Audi's they often provide massage systems which operate with bladders into which air is filled in to give massage like traditional massages. I have personally driven those cars and are very comfortable. I would recommend this kind of system if you could get your hands on it.

Regards

George
Old 27th June 2011, 15:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodony View Post
First of all let me introduce myself, I am George and I work in Mercedes-Benz in R&D for seats. I hope my reply satisfies your query to some extent.

Almost all of the current massage systems available as an aftermarket attachement are with electrical motors similar to the mobile vibrators. This kind of massager may give some kind of comfort for a short while, but for me it was kind of painful in the long run.

In premium auto segment i.e. in Mercedes-Benz BMW's and Audi's they often provide massage systems which operate with bladders into which air is filled in to give massage like traditional massages. I have personally driven those cars and are very comfortable. I would recommend this kind of system if you could get your hands on it.

Regards

George
Welcome to tbhp George!
Do you intend to say that in the long run these aftermarket massagers cause any harm or side effects?
Also, it would be great if you have any tips on how to identify the better massage systems and their availability in Pune

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks