Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parking under the direct sun?

Just a very convincing video about radiation heat load:

Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 18:27   #62
BHPian

Re: Parking under the direct sun?

Bumping up this old thread as summer is back with a vengeance. It's crossing 40 degrees frequently in Pune lately!

Whenever I can prevent parking directly under the sun, I do so. Whenever I can keep the windows open a notch (in parking areas that I know to be safe), I do so. But sometimes you just don't have the liberty of those choices.
Here's what I found to be really effective in cooling my car AFTER it has gotten hot due to parking under the sun:
1. Open all the doors (and your hatch, in case you have a hatchback). This can be done if you have a couple of minutes to spare and are in a safe area.
2. Close and open your hatch (or a door in case of sedan) around 5-8 times. Think of it as pumping some air into the car to push the existing hot air out. Working the hatch works the best as it is the biggest inlet/outlet of air in the car. If there is a little breeze going around, you need not even bother pumping the air out.

This has helped me cool my car in around 2 minutes consistently. A sunroof will only make it quicker.

If I cannot do that and have to leave immediately, I drive with the driver side front window and the passenger side rear window open for 5 minutes. I then switch the windows. Keeping diagonal windows open ensures complete flushing of the hot air inside. All this is done with the Blower ON. In 6-8 minutes, the car is slightly more bearable to drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks