Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2008, 13:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

I saw this clip kind of a thing on some car i am not too sure which. It works as a very good height adjuster. I tried looking in a lot of accessory shops but had no luck.
Old 15th June 2008, 20:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rocky_Balboa : I have heard about seatbelt strap adjusters from amazon...
Rocky, how about adjusters from our own Big Bazaar ?

Found this, with a Rs 250/- price tag. If you try it out, do let us know if it helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Issue with Seatbelt Height (non-adjustable)-child-belt1.jpg  

Issue with Seatbelt Height (non-adjustable)-child-belt2.jpg  

condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2008, 09:51   #18
BHPian

The Swift ZXi comes with seat strap height adjusters for the front seats. You can enquire at any Maruti workshop for the part and cost. I haven't seen the VDi straps but I guess ZXi ones should fit easily enough.
Old 16th June 2008, 13:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Rocky, how about adjusters from our own Big Bazaar ? Found this, with a Rs 250/- price tag. If you try it out, do let us know if it helped.
Thanks a ton Condor, this seems like a good option.
I shall try this one and update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
The Swift ZXi comes with seat strap height adjusters for the front seats. You can enquire at any Maruti workshop for the part and cost. I haven't seen the VDi straps but I guess ZXi ones should fit easily enough.
Thanks Watashi75...
i shall talk to the service folks and see what can be done.

+Rocky_Balboa+
Old 17th June 2008, 12:16   #20
BHPian

i could cant understand what height difference would it make, its not much is it
Old 30th May 2014, 19:40   #21
BHPian

DIY - VW Polo - Lowering Seat Belt Height

Hi,

I am looking at potentially buying a VW Polo. The two things that make me hesitate are (a) the lack of a centre-armrest in the front, and (b) the lack of height adjustment in the seatbelt.

The arm-rest issue has been resolved by Gannu_1, so I can go through that thread.

The seat-belt issue is one where I will appreciate having input from the folk here. The issue itself is as follows:

I have back-issues, therefore I like sitting low in the car. Even though I am only 5'8" I always push the seat to its lowest height so that I can stretch my legs almost horizontally, like in a go-kart. In this position, the seat-belt, instead of hugging my shoulder, cuts right across my neck.

This makes it difficult and irritating to do my shoulder-checks when I need to change lanes or make a Right-turn etc.

So, I need the seat belt to anchor to the B-pillar at almost shoulder-height.

The one thing suggested by one of the mods here was to fix a hook or something like a belt-loop on the B-pillar at shoulder-height and route the seat-belt through that. Sounds great, but what do the experts or DIYers here think?

Thanks and cheers
Old 31st May 2014, 11:39   #22
BHPian

Re: DIY - VW Polo - Lowering Seat Belt Height

Dear tilt,
Sorry, no hints to the query you posted, but concerned on your safety with this setup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Hi,
....cuts right across my neck.
And in a sudden stop, it can actually result in a cut!! Those nylon straps can be lethal. I know of a guy whose neck got sliced with a helmet strap after a fall.

Quote:
So, I need the seat belt to anchor to the B-pillar at almost shoulder-height.
Unless this mechanism is "robust" to withstand a sudden jerk - consider the momentum involved - the whole point of having a seat belt would be lost.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 13:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The one thing suggested by one of the mods here was to fix a hook or something like a belt-loop on the B-pillar at shoulder-height and route the seat-belt through that. Sounds great, but what do the experts or DIYers here think?
I understand your problem, However, I would be cautious when it comes to messing with the seat belt routing.You can't just reset the main anchor point. You just won't know if it's safe.

If you have back problems you might consider getting yourself a proper orthopedic chair. I had very serious back problems for years whilst driving close to 100.000 p/a. Got a chair specially made for me, lasted for ever. I think I used it in three or four different cars altogether.

You don't want to be taken chances with your back, but neither with your safety.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 18:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Get seat belt pads and use them to protect your neck from the rough edges of the seat belt. This will be the simplest and yet most effective solution. You can get these at any accessory shop or even on line, the best quality though is available with Honda showrooms at approximately < Rs. 300. These are pretty soft on the outside and the slick inner texture does not interfere with belt's operation.

Quote:
I have back-issues, therefore I like sitting low in the car. Even though I am only 5'8" I always push the seat to its lowest height so that I can stretch my legs almost horizontally, like in a go-kart. In this position, the seat-belt, instead of hugging my shoulder, cuts right across my neck.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2014, 19:43   #25
BHPian

Thank you all and dank u wel for responding.

Khoi, the pads do not help. I have been Ina car with this and found it to be even more irritating.

White wing, I understand what you're saying and I agree.

Jeroen, I agree with not changing the anchor point. Re.. The orthopaedic chair, as long as I sit low and have proper lumbar support I have no problem driving for hours on end. Since not many cars in India come with lumbar support I can just use a wadded bath towel or a pillow or something.

Thanks again all of you. I have decided against the polo on the basis of this thread.

My car options are getting to be quite limited now. Oh how I hate shopping!

Cheers
Old 29th June 2021, 13:51   #26
BHPian

Re: Issue with Seatbelt Height (non-adjustable)

Hi!

I have an i20 and the height of the rear seatbelt is not adjustable. With passengers in the rear seat, there is the problem of the belt pressing on the neck which is a safety hazard in itself. This makes them not wear the seat belt which is again unsafe.

On searching on Amazon, I was able to find this:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07GYD44D3/

Is this setup safe? Will it lead to injuries?

Please help me in this regard.
Old 4th July 2021, 10:27   #27
BHPian

Re: Issue with Seatbelt Height (non-adjustable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
On searching on Amazon, I was able to find this:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07GYD44D3/

Is this setup safe? Will it lead to injuries?

Please help me in this regard.
In the case of an untoward incident involving sudden stoppage, the gizmo in the amazon link will most likely pop out.
In fact, the resulting slack will most likely will defeat the pretensioner system and cause the body to be thrown front.

Perhaps you can check alternates like using a cushion to boost the occupant's seating height, there by making the belt settle on the shoulder?
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks