Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 20:17   #1
BHPian

Need help Regarding MM540/550

Hello All,

Though I am an old member, this is my first post in this forum. Ok, let’s get in to Business. I am a hardcore Jeep fan and I own a CJ3B back in my native. I am from Kerala and now in Bangalore. I am looking for an MM540/550. Let me tell you that, I am not an Off-roader, I own a car now, this will be my second vehicle, mostly it will be a highway cruiser and if not hard core off-roader it should handle the rough terrains as well. I personally like the curvey look of the MM540 and I will modify it in such a way that it looks lil posh . It should be reliable and comfortable for long trips. Infact there is one guy who is selling his MM540, which he says a 1991 model, unfortunately he has no clue about what’s under his hood. It’s a 2WD with 4 speed gear box. I am yet to see the Jeep and asking price is around 1.6L. Can you tell me which engine it comes with? I want my machine to be fast as well. I want to modify something like this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...hyderabad.html. Any idea how to cut the chassis and make it lil more shorter? Any suggestions on good mechs in B’lore who can do this? Any suggestions on modification with my requirement is much appreciated

Thanks
Sreeraj
Old 15th July 2008, 21:35   #2
BHPian

I guess this will be mostly used for birding trips.

Old 16th July 2008, 01:54   #3
BHPian

Hi Sreeraj,

Glad to see another Jeep enthusiast on this forum.

I you want a highway cruiser, the 2WD will be fine. But a 5 speed would give you much better cruising.

What would be your target cruising speed range?

Assuming it is a diesel, the 91 model should be a 60 hp 2.1 Peugeot motor. The 4 speed gbox is crude and heavy, but very durable and solid.

If you want to make it faster, drop in a turbo, limit the boost to 7-8 psi, revise the fuel pump rates, fit an intercooler.

There are also a number of engine swaps that are possible. There is a 2.5 L diesel motor that makes about 75 hp. This motor can be mated to a 5 speed gbox. This is what the MM550 came with.

Or you can go all out and drop in a Scorpio motor & gbox.

I would not advise cutting the chassis to shorten the wheelbase. This will not help your highway ride quality. Also, if you do want to upgrade to a 5 speed transmission, the existing wheelbase is needed.

Regards,
Old 16th July 2008, 17:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Hi Sreeraj,

Glad to see another Jeep enthusiast on this forum.

I you want a highway cruiser, the 2WD will be fine. But a 5 speed would give you much better cruising.

What would be your target cruising speed range?

Assuming it is a diesel, the 91 model should be a 60 hp 2.1 Peugeot motor. The 4 speed gbox is crude and heavy, but very durable and solid.

If you want to make it faster, drop in a turbo, limit the boost to 7-8 psi, revise the fuel pump rates, fit an intercooler.

There are also a number of engine swaps that are possible. There is a 2.5 L diesel motor that makes about 75 hp. This motor can be mated to a 5 speed gbox. This is what the MM550 came with.

Or you can go all out and drop in a Scorpio motor & gbox.

I would not advise cutting the chassis to shorten the wheelbase. This will not help your highway ride quality. Also, if you do want to upgrade to a 5 speed transmission, the existing wheelbase is needed.

Regards,
Hello Red,

Thanks for the reply. My target speed is 100+ I doubt a four speed GB can deliver that on highways as you told. I had a 3 speed Gbox in my jeep back in my native with a Matador 305 engine under the hood and i had tough time on highways until i matched up with Matador 4 speed Gbox. then too its lil scary after 90. As you told me i have dropped the plan of cutting the chassis. It will be very easy for me if i get an MM550 which comes with 5 Speed Gbox. But its very difficult to find here . In your opinion, what will be more economical, dropping a TC with 2.1 Peugeot motor or changing the entire engine and gear Box, if the second plan, then how difficult it is to source the engine and Gbox?

Sreeraj
Old 16th July 2008, 18:04   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The stock MM540 with the 2.1 liter and 4-Speed will scream in pain on the highways, if you push it above 90 kmph. Regarding the 5 Speed Transmission. It is easier to find a used one the two wheel drive version than the four wheel drive. Used prices range from 30,000 to 50,000 for a used five speed tranny. Regarding the 2.5 L peugot engine, there is one available in chennai. I had initially put a deposit on it for my MM540 but decided to go with a Turbo DI engine instead with a new 5 Speed gearbox. I think 1.6l lakh is on the higher side for a 91 540. I have seen more newer models going for less.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

one engine you could consider as a swap would be the toyota 2C. This should give you a better NVH levels, no 4WD, but pretty decent highway cruising speeds [read 80 kph only] The MM range with its antiquated suspension [read rigid leaf springs] cannot handle higher speeds when it comes to corners or braking.

Even a Scorpio engine may give you the power to accelarate, but what about the rest. End of the day, you end up spending more on the vehicle.

Why not look at a bolero. It comes with 5 speed and has the 2.5 engine and one can cruise at 100 on the highway, with AC and PS. The new Bolero DI turbo is good, I'm told!
Old 16th July 2008, 18:24   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Hello Red,

Thanks for the reply. My target speed is 100+ I doubt a four speed GB can deliver that on highways as you told. I had a 3 speed Gbox in my jeep back in my native with a Matador 305 engine under the hood and i had tough time on highways until i matched up with Matador 4 speed Gbox. then too its lil scary after 90. As you told me i have dropped the plan of cutting the chassis. It will be very easy for me if i get an MM550 which comes with 5 Speed Gbox. But its very difficult to find here . In your opinion, what will be more economical, dropping a TC with 2.1 Peugeot motor or changing the entire engine and gear Box, if the second plan, then how difficult it is to source the engine and Gbox?

Sreeraj
With the right gearing, you may be able to cruise at close to the 100 kph mark. My 340 used to have 5.38 R&P gears, and a 4 speed, with the 2.1 Peugeot. It topped out at 105 kph. 70 to 80 kph was very comfortable.

So if you use a gear ratio around 3.73 or so, you should be able to have reasonably relaxed cruising. Assuming your engine and gbox are in good shape, this would be your lowest cost option. Should not cost more than 10k for this.

Of course a 2.5 L engine with the matching 5 speed would be a lot better. But the cost goes up significantly and there is a good amount of work to install this setup. A used engine + gbox should be in the 1L range.

A turbo install requires a good amount of technical skill and knowledge. Don't try it unless you feel confident or have a good mechanic. Budget about 50K for this.

A scorpio motor transplant should cost about 2L.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:31   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
A scorpio motor transplant should cost about 2L.
That sounds reasonable, considering that involves the cost of an used Scorpio engine 2.6 non CRDe engine. Or is it on the costlier side?

Do we get the non CRDe engine off the shelf? or is it asking for too much?
Old 16th July 2008, 18:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The stock MM540 with the 2.1 liter and 4-Speed will scream in pain on the highways, if you push it above 90 kmph. Regarding the 5 Speed Transmission. It is easier to find a used one the two wheel drive version than the four wheel drive. Used prices range from 30,000 to 50,000 for a used five speed tranny. Regarding the 2.5 L peugot engine, there is one available in chennai. I had initially put a deposit on it for my MM540 but decided to go with a Turbo DI engine instead with a new 5 Speed gearbox. I think 1.6l lakh is on the higher side for a 91 540. I have seen more newer models going for less.
Hello 4X4addict,

Can you shed some light on the Di Turbo deal? I agree that 1.6L is is on higher side. Do you have any resource on a decent 540?
Old 16th July 2008, 18:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
one engine you could consider as a swap would be the toyota 2C. This should give you a better NVH levels, no 4WD, but pretty decent highway cruising speeds [read 80 kph only] The MM range with its antiquated suspension [read rigid leaf springs] cannot handle higher speeds when it comes to corners or braking.

Even a Scorpio engine may give you the power to accelarate, but what about the rest. End of the day, you end up spending more on the vehicle.

Why not look at a bolero. It comes with 5 speed and has the 2.5 engine and one can cruise at 100 on the highway, with AC and PS. The new Bolero DI turbo is good, I'm told!
Hello Headers,

I should agree that Bolero is a good choice, i drove Torqy's Bolero and it can comfrtably cruise more than 100km/h. But i somehow dont like the lenghty body on that. Length of MM540 is just right. or i should look for invader, but i have'nt seen any modified invaders.
Old 16th July 2008, 19:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
I guess this will be mostly used for birding trips.

You got it Torqy :-)
Old 16th July 2008, 19:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Somehow i dont like the lengthy body of bolero, and needless to say it can go beyond 100+. i drove torqy's Bolero. The next option is invader, but i haven't seen much modified invaders.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Headers,

I should agree that Bolero is a good choice, i drove Torqy's Bolero and it can comfrtably cruise more than 100km/h. But i somehow dont like the lenghty body on that. Length of MM540 is just right. or i should look for invader, but i have'nt seen any modified invaders.
IMO, invader is not worth it. And the wheelbase is pretty similar to Bolero!

Else, do up a 540 and stick to 80kph max on the highway!
Old 16th July 2008, 20:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I should agree that Bolero is a good choice, i drove Torqy's Bolero .....
Quote:
...and needless to say it can go beyond 100+. i drove torqy's Bolero. ...
When did you drive my Bolero? I can assure you that I'm NOT who you think I am.
BTW, the lengthy body of a Bolero does help smoothen the ride in highway cruising.

Invader is shorter than a Bolero.

Last edited by Torqy : 16th July 2008 at 20:37.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hello 4X4addict,

Can you shed some light on the Di Turbo deal? I agree that 1.6L is is on higher side. Do you have any resource on a decent 540?
There was a chap selling a 1996 MM540 in bangalore a couple of months back. I think I posted the contact details on the jeepthrills.in forum. Search there and find out if his jeep is still for sale. He was asking 1.25 for a 4x4 version. Also if you have a contact in kerala who can check out the Thursday Malayala Manorama you will occasionally see some good jeeps.

What information do you want about the DI Turbo?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks