Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2006, 16:10   #16
BHPian

For people who can buy stuff in US and Canada, check this website out: www.turbonator.com
They also have international shipments I think.
Old 17th May 2006, 16:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Macha no way you can use the stock Indian pistons above 8 psi.
Esteem 8V Pistons do hold up till 12 PSI provided you are running a right AFR. I am about to start a turbo MPFi esteem project myself in the coming weeks.
Old 17th May 2006, 20:06   #18
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I had a question : Can any car be TC'ed ? or there is some pre-requisites on engine size and/or other things ?
Old 18th May 2006, 10:10   #19

Well aza any car can be turbocharged ,not a problem . But certain cars respond better to superchargers than turbos , not sure exactly why though.

As far as turbocharging goes it looks like half the tuners are getting it wrong, the simple reason being there are no dynos to tune it on. On a TC car the dynamic power range is huge and you could never have a linear power or torque curve . However much any guy who is chipping may try to tell you that he can chip without a dyno it is just not possible.

As far as engines go you dont need forged internals till bout 8 p.s.i. , You defenitely need a high flow fuel pump.

As far as stage 2, stage 3 turbos are concerned these are nothing more than bigger a/r ratios on the housing side.
Old 18th May 2006, 11:30   #20

what abt the inter cooler?????? cant pump in hot air...i personally recommend a supercharger as its simpler to fit in any vehicle,, i know of inherent amt of troubles that go with a turbo..
Old 18th May 2006, 11:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbs
As far as turbocharging goes it looks like half the tuners are getting it wrong, the simple reason being there are no dynos to tune it on. On a TC car the dynamic power range is huge and you could never have a linear power or torque curve . However much any guy who is chipping may try to tell you that he can chip without a dyno it is just not possible.
Well I think that things are changing now, people do realise the criticality of maintaining AFR ratio's as per the boost, sudden changes that I have seen over the last year are larger injectors, better fuel pumps, use of wideband AFR Meters and most critically better tuning on the standalones. One can get away by good exhaust based tuning if there is a lack of a dyno.

Quote:
As far as engines go you dont need forged internals till bout 8 p.s.i. , You defenitely need a high flow fuel pump.

As far as stage 2, stage 3 turbos are concerned these are nothing more than bigger a/r ratios on the housing side.
Point one is bang on as for point 2: Stage 2 and 3 turbo's do have a better A/R ratio's however on these stages boost control over the RPM range becomes very critical as one cannot have too much power being put down on the lower range of the powerband.

As a side note, it is easier to setup a supercharger due to its inherent linear output, but the downside is the power losses at the lower RPM range.

Guess it is time to accept that turbo's are here to stay.
Old 19th May 2006, 09:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeee_ha
what abt the inter cooler?????? cant pump in hot air...i personally recommend a supercharger as its simpler to fit in any vehicle,, i know of inherent amt of troubles that go with a turbo..

Well i have seen a few cars runnin non intercooled engines at bout 5-6 psi ,but not here in india . to compensate for the intercooler they either run a water injection or run richer afr's.

well fitting a supercharger has its own problems, not so much simpler. Eg the boost a supercharger produces depends on the chain drive ratio, each time u need to change the boost u need to change the chain. etc,etc.
Old 19th May 2006, 09:46   #23

i agree with you totally with the use of wide band o2's,and criticality of maintaining AFR ratio's , but by saying u can get away with good exhaust tuning i dont agree. a real power curve can only be obtained in 4th gear at wide open. i dont see how people can hold wide open in 4th all thru the rev range.

[/quote]Point one is bang on as for point 2: Stage 2 and 3 turbo's do have a better A/R ratio's however on these stages boost control over the RPM range becomes very critical as one cannot have too much power being put down on the lower range of the powerband.[/quote]

stage 2 and stage3 dont have better a/r's they just have bigger a/r's. there is nothing like a better or worse a/r. they bigger they a/r the slower your turbo spools and higher is the boost threshold. a/r's are nothing but numbers eg .48,.63 eg. The reason for using stage 2,3 are lower exhaust backpressure on the turbine side at higher rpm's.

[/quote]Guess it is time to accept that turbo's are here to stay.[/quote]

That i totally agree.
Old 19th May 2006, 09:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
For people who can buy stuff in US and Canada, check this website out: www.turbonator.com
They also have international shipments I think.
Sounds like a load of bull, like the kind of water to petrol generators. They talk about lots of laboratories and independent testing etc., but dont really provide any links. If they actually did what was claimed turbos and superchargers would be out of business
Old 19th May 2006, 11:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i agree with you totally with the use of wide band o2's,and criticality of maintaining AFR ratio's , but by saying u can get away with good exhaust tuning i dont agree. a real power curve can only be obtained in 4th gear at wide open. i dont see how people can hold wide open in 4th all thru the rev range.
The standalone ecu's do provide an option of data logging where you can get the AFR across the rev range and the load range hence it is possible to equate the right amounts of fuel supply required. This can be done using the existing system or adding on a better FI system. Hence, can do without a dyno

Quote:
stage 2 and stage3 dont have better a/r's they just have bigger a/r's. there is nothing like a better or worse a/r. they bigger they a/r the slower your turbo spools and higher is the boost threshold. a/r's are nothing but numbers eg .48,.63 eg. The reason for using stage 2,3 are lower exhaust backpressure on the turbine side at higher rpm's.
Bigger a/r's true but it also means recalibarating for the higher boost, setting up the bottom half (forged) to take on the load of high boost, increasing the airflow through the system, changing the BOV for a quicker release, larger intercooler, dropping the compression ratio etc...

Also stage 2 & 3 tend to retain the same exhaust turbine whilst increasing the size of the intake housing and the turbine, this is to flow more air at the same level of boost being run. It is like pushing 5 psi through a 2 cm opening on stage one to pushing 5 psi through a 3 - 4 cm opening in stage 2 & 3

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks