Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 17:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Option A - Work from home
Option B - Get it fixed @ Office (We did that with mine). No sense if wasting a weekend getting it fixed when you can spend it driving it!

From what i have read/reviewed, Storm CAI is recommended only for >100BHP. Check Abhik's thread that he had put (link in one of the threads above) regarding Air Filters. Btw i got Pirelli's (P400 Aquamile) fitted with a smaller Momo Replica steering wheel. I'll post the review shortly.
Option A is always possible but, i like to be in middle of action. Working from home is too boring. Another hazard, I may end up using my PS3 instead of my laptop

CAI is recommended for 100bhp and more and not greater than. And, in stage 1 mine is 98bhp. So i reckon it is justified.
Old 7th August 2008, 19:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Hi there,

Yesterdday I finally got my Estilo fitted with a GC 'Wind' filter but without the CAI piping.
Congrats on the upgrade MudMover. Dont forget to share your review on the difference in performance! Any thoughts on an FFE?
Old 7th August 2008, 20:46   #33
BHPian

Hi Theo,

I am not a man of many words, so my 'reviews' will be brief :-). Kindly excuse my brevity.

I noticed the following during my drive to the office:

1.There is definitely more 'kick' in gears 1 & 2.
2.A noticeable increase in vibrations.
3.When starting the engine I can distinctively hear the sound of air being sucked through a pipe!
4.Warm air through the ac vents and below the dash, when running the ac in fan mode. This never happened before and I'm thinking if there is something wrong with the location of the fitment. Can someone help?!

Regarding FFE? Definitely. If I'm pushing more air into the chamber faster I might as well make plans to push it out quickly, right? Performance filters and FFE are made for each other.

I envy you man! I could have had so much more fun doing all this if I had the ol' Zen.

But it depends on how soon I iron out the problems mentioned above.
Old 8th August 2008, 10:34   #34
BHPian

K&N for Wagon R

Posting my query on this thread as well. I need help fast.

Hi,

Does the replacement (stock) K&N filter give good and/or noticeable increase in performance?

I want to go for an k&n filter in my 2006 Wagon R. I am looking for a performance increase, but had a few doubts.

1. A hi-performance K&N filter, will it void my warranty? I have extended warranty on the car till May 2009.

2. A stock replacement, which part number is best suited for the Wagon R. There is nothing on the K&N website on this.

3. If I still decide to go for a hi-performance filter, which size should I go for?

4. What are the prices of A) Stock filter B) Performance filter?

TIA.

J
Old 8th August 2008, 12:53   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Posting my query on this thread as well. I need help fast.

Hi,

Does the replacement (stock) K&N filter give good and/or noticeable increase in performance?

I want to go for an k&n filter in my 2006 Wagon R. I am looking for a performance increase, but had a few doubts.

1. A hi-performance K&N filter, will it void my warranty? I have extended warranty on the car till May 2009.

2. A stock replacement, which part number is best suited for the Wagon R. There is nothing on the K&N website on this.

3. If I still decide to go for a hi-performance filter, which size should I go for?

4. What are the prices of A) Stock filter B) Performance filter?

TIA.

J
Different users have different experiences post the upgrade so it's really difficult to generalize this statement. I have experienced a considerable increase in power/pickup so i'm happy with the upgrade.

1. From what i know, YES it will because it will involve modifications.

2. Get the contact details of the nearest dealer from the following link and call them up.

K&N Air Filter & Air Intake Dealer Search - Where to buy K&N Products

3. You would need to ask the dealer on this. Maybe one of the car modification shops can help you out on this. Forum members who have read this thread can reply to it also.

4. Call the dealer! But from what i heard, the prices have gone up since Aug 1, 2008 so if you hurry you can still get one for the old price.

All the best!
Old 13th August 2008, 20:53   #36
BHPian

Hi Theo,

Last friday I had gone to Nilambur and drove the initial distance to Mysore. I drove rough and noticed better pulling in gears 1-3. I was able to overtake a T Corolla, Getz and T Qualis repeatedly the moment they came down to gear 3 or below. My driver who drove the home stretch to Nilambur even mentioned better response during the shift down to gear 4 from 5!

Regarding the fitment I appreciate the logic but not the execution. If you notice, there is just one turn in the piping to the engine hence I guess the air moves in much faster. Also, I took a long hard look under the bonnet and tried to estimate the airflow. It appears that the filter is setup at just the exact point where incoming air collects after passing through the bumper/bonnet grille.

Though it seems to be doing it's job, the primary pain point is that the guys have fitted it in such a way that it is in close contact with the cabling and associated equipments of the accelator, clutch & brake (I think). Hence, I'm getting extra vibrations in all 3 pedals.

I intend to go to RAC again this Saturday and see if they can do something to eliminate the issues. Basically, my advice is this.. this baby really delivers the goods! But for problem-free installation and operation insist on getting a custom-built 'flange' for your GC filter after taking into account the internal dynamics of your engine compartment. In my case the flange is too long, resulting in the problems mentioned above.

I would welcome any other inputs from members.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Hi Theo,

Last friday I had gone to Nilambur and drove the initial distance to Mysore. I drove rough and noticed better pulling in gears 1-3. I was able to overtake a T Corolla, Getz and T Qualis repeatedly the moment they came down to gear 3 or below. My driver who drove the home stretch to Nilambur even mentioned better response during the shift down to gear 4 from 5!

Regarding the fitment I appreciate the logic but not the execution. If you notice, there is just one turn in the piping to the engine hence I guess the air moves in much faster. Also, I took a long hard look under the bonnet and tried to estimate the airflow. It appears that the filter is setup at just the exact point where incoming air collects after passing through the bumper/bonnet grille.

Though it seems to be doing it's job, the primary pain point is that the guys have fitted it in such a way that it is in close contact with the cabling and associated equipments of the accelator, clutch & brake (I think). Hence, I'm getting extra vibrations in all 3 pedals.

I intend to go to RAC again this Saturday and see if they can do something to eliminate the issues. Basically, my advice is this.. this baby really delivers the goods! But for problem-free installation and operation insist on getting a custom-built 'flange' for your GC filter after taking into account the internal dynamics of your engine compartment. In my case the flange is too long, resulting in the problems mentioned above.

I would welcome any other inputs from members.
Good to hear that you are enjoying your upgrade MM. I can also feel a significant increase in performance in the 1st 3 gears. 4th and 5th feel pretty much the same but then i dont really rev my engine too much on the higher gears (Except when i'm myself revving on something). I agree that you should revisit them to see if they can realign the filter for you so that it does not touch any of the body parts. Maybe you could take advice from other BHPians @ Bangy who have undertaken similar upgrades and possibly check out their rides to see how they have managed this issue. Its a long shot but definitely worth trying since you would get information from someone who has already ironed out these issues and you would not need to reinvent the wheel!
All the best.
Old 14th August 2008, 09:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

[quote=theodore_ftw;927799]Hi Guys -

Observations -
1st - Distinct roar emanating from the Filter on racing the engine (Love that sound!)
2nd - Smoother running of engine. Feels like new!
3rd - Faster Acceleration. Not like Fast and Furious but i'm a step closer now! DEFINITE increase in acceleration across all bands (Low, Mid and High). I can feel the car pulling much faster than before. Cant wait for the FFE kit to add onto the power!

[quote=theodore_ftw;927799]
Congrats bro,
I have noticed similar improvements after fitting the K&N SRF & a Automech FFE on my 800.Though it's difficult to hear the intake roar over the exhaust growl .Have fun,enjoy.
Old 8th September 2008, 22:08   #39
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I own a 98 Carb Zen VXi. I want to fit a K & N filter. Actually razor4077 is willing to sell his K & N which was fitted to his Santro Xing ( don't know the model no. ).

Want to confirm whether it is possible to fit it to my car and what modifications/alterations have to be taken care off keeping in mind that my car is carbureted. Pic of the filter attached below.

Regards
NOS
Old 26th September 2009, 15:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power
Hi Guys,

I own a 98 Carb Zen VXi. I want to fit a K & N filter. Actually razor4077 is willing to sell his K & N which was fitted to his Santro Xing ( don't know the model no. ).

Want to confirm whether it is possible to fit it to my car and what modifications/alterations have to be taken care off keeping in mind that my car is carbureted. Pic of the filter attached below.

Regards
NOS
Hi Nos Power, i know it a little late to ask but did you go ahead with the K&N replacement?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks