Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 11:30   #16
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
Another 1K to go for servicing, that time I'll definitely consult with the service manager on this and get back with as much details possible.
Yes definitely do, something should be possible at least the LSD and if the manual locker can go in then nothing like that. If these TATA fellows do it, it will be cheaper plus they should be more efficient in differential setup once it is taken out completely. Definitely talk about the axle housing, if any modifications are required other than one wire passage for the selectable locker. All these knowledge are based on google search, so, again definitely get back to us on the real info after your service visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Simplest would be to fit a LSD at the rear, and it will make your DICOR more capable, or fit in a manual locker, so that when you get stuck, you can lock the rear diff and get out.
Yes it has to be manual/selectable locker to be more maneuverable. A heavy truck like Safari, a manual locker is definitely preferred, as such the DANA type of lockers or the default locker that comes with the 4wd Safari.

Last edited by adc : 19th August 2008 at 11:34.
Old 19th August 2008, 11:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

I don't think safari 4x4 has a default locker, its just a LSD
Old 19th August 2008, 11:43   #18
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think safari 4x4 has a default locker, its just a LSD
One doubt: But when you are selecting the 4wd low by the electric swtich are you not locking the gears completely?

By default, meant that what comes in 4wd Safari and that is selectable by the electric switch, not always on type of locker.

Last edited by adc : 19th August 2008 at 11:47.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Nope, it just selects a low ratio, the rear diff remains Limited slip.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:26   #20
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, it just selects a low ratio, the rear diff remains Limited slip.
That then clears up quite a lot. LSD is what one should go for due to ease of installation and procurement, otherwise the Dana 44 e-locker but that is a more long drawn process and then finding a good mechanic for installation.

Last edited by adc : 19th August 2008 at 12:29.
Old 19th August 2008, 13:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Stick to the OE LSD from the 4x4 Safari.
Easy to source. Every TASC would have the service manual to install it. Keeps it Simple.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That then clears up quite a lot. LSD is what one should go for due to ease of installation and procurement, otherwise the Dana 44 e-locker but that is a more long drawn process and then finding a good mechanic for installation.
So in my case only safari 4x4 OE LSD will be enough or I need manual locker as well?

Cheers,
Biswajit
Old 30th September 2008, 14:33   #23
BHPian

Just wanted to know if this was done to any Safari 4x2, if yes please update on the performance and other aspect of the vehicle, I am more interested in the feasibility of this option, I recently got Scorpio was looking for 4x4 but it was not available, or at least this is what dealer told me, later from Forum only I got to know that it available, I can't sale it now to get 4x4 but would be interested in knowing any available options for 4x2 to become more capable, if not 4x4. I am open to 4x4 conversion, but that would be a long drawn and error pron process, and is possible only if everything on 4x4 can be fitted on 4x2 chasis with plug and play type, but I understand it easier to say and harder to get done, but am hoping there would be some way to get better 4x2 :-)

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 30th September 2008 at 14:34.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:41   #24
BHPian

LSD conversion

Only LSD conversion: Bangalore TATA dealer prerana can't do

Sorry for the delay. I enquired about it but they are not advising and more over they are not sure about feasibility of putting LSD to 4x2 vehicle. Instead of they are telling go for full conversion and they estimated it'll be somewhere between Rs.1.5-2 lac. Also they suggested it'll be better to go for new 4x4.

Thanks,
Biswajit
Old 11th December 2008, 18:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
Sorry for the delay. I enquired about it but they are not advising and more over they are not sure about feasibility of putting LSD to 4x2 vehicle. Instead of they are telling go for full conversion and they estimated it'll be somewhere between Rs.1.5-2 lac. Also they suggested it'll be better to go for new 4x4.

Thanks,
Biswajit
They are probably right? Rather than spending this much of an amount it better to buy a used Gypsy or a 4x4 Mahindra and still you would be left with some money. This way you could always have a different car for off-roading and another for they city

And whenever you are tired of it, it can always be sold and a major portion of your initial payment on the second car be recovered!
Old 5th February 2009, 14:54   #26
BHPian

Reviving the old thread, as told by the dealer conversion of 4X2 to 4x4 Safari is feasible, is it same for Scorpio? As the new mHawk[or face lifted Scorpio] seems to have 4x4 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/52541-after-facelifed-innova-now-facelifted-scorpio-6.html can anyone with close association with dealer confirm that this can be done with mHawk, I am not going to do it right now, but I may go ahead with it after knowing the feasibility.

Last edited by pramods : 5th February 2009 at 14:58. Reason: Copy Paste errors
Old 5th February 2009, 19:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

pramod:

It is possible but it may not be a good idea given the cost and potential reliability issues if the work isn't done right. Find out what price you can get for you vehicle if you sell it add the cost of about 2 lakhs for a 4x4 conversion and it may make sense for you to cough up a lack or two more and order a new 4x4.

People: for gods sake, don't walk away when stupid dealers tell you that you cannot get a 4x4 Scorpio or Bolero !!. You just have to be persistent and patient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks