Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 21:19   #1
BHPian

Upgrade 4x2 Safari Dicor to 4x4 - Possible?

Hi All,
I'm owning a Safari Dicor 4x2, can it be upgraded to 4x4? If possible please advice for:
  • approx cost
  • How much time it might take
  • Overall what are the pros and cons.
thanks in advance.

Mods: I've searched but not found any topic on this, if its already available please merge my post there and send me the link.
Old 12th August 2008, 22:18   #2
BANNED

NO. Sell the 2WD and buy a 4WD.
Old 12th August 2008, 22:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

no, please dont try it : coil springs need to be replaced with torsion-bar springs. Not good.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

This was something I wanted to do on my older TCIC Safari.
Lets say you are able to source a 4wd gearbox, and the entire front suspension assembly and the front differential and the rear limited slip differential and then the wiring kit for the 4wd and then the automatic free wheeling hubs.
By this time you would have spent a fortune.
The best thing to do would be to sell your car, pay 30K more and pick up a same vintage 4WD Safari.
I picked up a 4wd 3.0l DICOR.
To put it really short and sweet, JUST NOT WORTH IT.
Old 13th August 2008, 00:24   #5
BHPian

hey thanks for the post,was wondering the same!! anyways i know its quite a task,but it is possible on mahindra 540 type of vehicles. You can also go in for a winch in case 4x2 gets stuck.
nc1bad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2008, 09:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
hey thanks for the post,was wondering the same!! anyways i know its quite a task,but it is possible on mahindra 540 type of vehicles. You can also go in for a winch in case 4x2 gets stuck.
for M&M vehicles, getting a 4x4 done is a cheaper option than getting a winch
Old 13th August 2008, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Thank you all.

Thank you all.
My car is new (2007) and don't want to sell right away. Will be waiting atleast 1 more year, till then I'll be carefull to drive on mud,sand. I faced difficulty several times when drove over mud,sand its struck after some effort we could take her out, so thought if I can add 4wd in my car.
Anyway cheers,
Biswajit
Old 13th August 2008, 20:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would say change to A/T tyres and that will make some difference in the grip on sand and slush.

Talk to some good offroader and learn few techniques and dynamics,they might be handy for small difficulty level situations.

e.g. Deflating tyre pressure to increase grip,moving steering to/fro while negotiating such situations etc etc.

You never know what you were missing.

For moderate difficulty level situations,you surely need a 4WD vehicle.

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 13th August 2008 at 20:52.
Old 14th August 2008, 01:22   #9
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
I'm owning a Safari Dicor 4x2, can it be upgraded to 4x4?

I had been using the Safari 2.2 to the limit possible of its 2wd and did have few close calls with rear wheels almost stuck in mud and a frightening slippage of rear wheels while going up a very steep rock hill - till now been lucky but a 2wd is a 2wd and that too it is a 2 tonner and its limitations will catch up with me once for sure.

For me too selling now and getting a 4wd is out of question and so also the idea of converting a 2wd to a 4wd, which as said is totally impractical.

As such, the only option that is remotely possible and will help more than the 2wd is to go for a rear locker with LSD. This will help out in most of the situations for sure, much better than a pure 2wd. If you have good contact with a TATA dealer, you can procure their LSD and locker, and fix it in the rear wheel axle, that they fix up in their 4wd Safari or otherwise procure the Auburn ECTED and have good mechanic fix it up.

This discussion I had with Ignazio on this thread, particularly in pages 1 and 2

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ntial-lsd.html

Last edited by adc : 14th August 2008 at 01:25.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
... As such, the only option that is remotely possible and will help more than the 2wd is to go for a rear locker with LSD. This will help out in most of the situations for sure, much better than a pure 2wd. If you have good contact with a TATA dealer, you can procure their LSD and locker, and fix it in the rear wheel axle, that they fix up in their 4wd Safari or otherwise procure the Auburn ECTED and have good mechanic fix it up.

This discussion I had with Ignazio on this thread, particularly in pages 1 and 2

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ntial-lsd.html
If a LSD can be fitted in your 4x2 Safari -- GO FOR IT.

It will not make it a 4x4 but it will be a very good compromise considering that you can't sell your 4x2 right now.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:16   #11
BHPian

Thanks ADC, Shahnawaz

If I go for LSD with locker, how much it might cost me? Also if anyone in this forum did it for their 2wd car, please share your experience.
Old 14th August 2008, 20:27   #12
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biswajit View Post
If I go for LSD with locker, how much it might cost me? Also if anyone in this forum did it for their 2wd car, please share your experience.
Talk to your service manager, talk with him unofficially on this to fix up the LSD and locker mechanism [that is there in the rear wheel of a 4wd Safari] on to the 2wd rear axle.

Otherwise, see this site

Auburn ECTED Electric Lockers - Free Shipping at 4WheelersSupply.com

it is around $630 for the Dana 44 rear locker and LSD. and so the total budget with procuring and fixing should be around Rs 50000 - just my guess.

or otherwise, tell me if you find these equipments down there in south, it will be a great help for me - these can get you unstuck pretty fast but with some labour.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...lift-jack.html

4x4 Buyer Store :: Heavy Duty 4 Tonne Exhaust Jack :: Super Charge :: Jacks :: 4wd Recovery

Last edited by adc : 14th August 2008 at 20:37.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:13   #13
adc
Senior - BHPian

also you may go for the locker without lsd, but remember not to engage and to disengage on paved roads.

Whatever it be confirm with a well known TATA service person about whether the axle housing is a copy of Dana, the 4wd Safari rear wheel axle is a straightforward copy AFAIK. What it means is that all these lockers w/without LSD are possible only if very slight changes are required in the 2wd rear axle housing.

Review: POWERTRAX No-Slip Traction System

The powertrax no-slip is the cheapest option, but very effective too.

The step by step installation guide and also review are there as sub links.

Last edited by adc : 14th August 2008 at 21:14.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:29   #14
BHPian

Thanks ADC.

Another 1K to go for servicing, that time I'll definitely consult with the service manager on this and get back with as much details possible.
Old 18th August 2008, 17:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

I would not advise a locker in a 2WD.
When in slush, both the rear wheels will rotate, and absence of any torque from front wheels means that you will tend to go straight instead of turning.
If you read the powertrack review even on 4WD they had to change driving style.

Simplest would be to fit a LSD at the rear, and it will make your DICOR more capable, or fit in a manual locker, so that when you get stuck, you can lock the rear diff and get out.

However the best I can suggest is to sell 4x2 and buy 4x4 if you have budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks