Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2008, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad - Repainting Quotations from Various Workshops

Just got quotations over the phone and counters for repainting of my NHC in same OEM silver .

All centers mentioned are in Hyderabad and quotations are for denting and painting. There are no major dents as such.

Just the usual nudges after 3 years of wear and tear.Bumper + Boot lid+Bonet
  1. Honda Service Centre(near Ranigunj) - Rs 70,000
  2. Fansa Motors,Bosch Car Care Service center - Rs 48,000
  3. My TVS Service Center - Approx Rs 31,000
  4. Mazda Motors ( one of the oldest family run businesses in whole of India in servicing and workshop jobs) - Rs 33,500
  5. Run of the mill Amby workshop on the road side - Rs 9,000!!
Honda uses its OEM paint i guess.
Fansa Motors uses Sheenlac + Bosch Products
My TVS - forgot to enquire
Mazda Motors - 2K AUTOCOLOR
Amby Workshop - Didn't dare to ask

Experience wise
Fansa Motors and Mazda Motors were the most pleasing in approach and customer relations seemed good.Both gave me a tour of the spray booths and some work in progress.

Honda was typical with a walk in( being a monday and had loads of services booked) They didnt bother and told me to walk over to the workshop area and meet the painter myself !

My TVS had everythign on a leaflet and didnt have to ask anything.No one came forward and asked how serious or when i needed the service done etc.

Amby Workshop told me to move my car from where i parked it , never got down , he walked around and said "seth ... iska tho 9000 hoga". Didnt bother getting out and just chose reverse form first and drove off!.

My initial experience points towards Mazda Motors proving to be the reliable and quality workplace that will surely do a satisfactory repaint. However, Id like any suggestions on the Paint Brand to be used,How many coats to insists upon( paint and clear coat).And any opinion on the quotations recieved will be helpfull .

OT : Mazda Motors had a white FIAT500 already crashed and in there for complete repaint.Was told its the first in Hyderabad.
Old 1st September 2008, 17:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you refering to the new Fiat 500...if so,it should belong to Deccan Chronicle
Old 2nd September 2008, 03:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

guzzler there is one more work shop i want you to check out, the "New Mars" body shop with 2 paint two booths, opened almost 10 months ago, well the person has been running a garage for over a decade so might just wanna check it out, check your pm for the details i am sending you one.

and coincidentally he was repairing(bady part denting) and repainting one of the mahindra Mhawks the last time i visited his body shop, it was a transit damage piece.

and about paints apart from the autocolor 2K and sheenlac, i think the regular OEM of honda workshop (& other A.S.S workshops) and a few road side amby mech's choice would be the DELTRON available in shops around the city. you will find it at ranigunj.

all the best with painting and dont forget to tell us the shade you chose.
Old 2nd September 2008, 04:22   #4

Rider60,

It will be a big favor if u can pm me also the details of this "New Mars". Iam also looking for a good paint job for my ride, but haven't come around to taking quotes; i might start with the details provided by you.

Thanks in advance.

- YK
Old 2nd September 2008, 08:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

guzzler,
as for the New-Mars, visit his place once and decide yourself. you may as well talk to Prabhu(the owner of the garage). I think rider(yash) has given his contact number as well. I guess he would be quoting something between 35k to 40k (oh! its just my guess)
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

guzzler how many coats of paint do you plan to paint the car?

and for the prices mentioned above how many coats did they offer? this way you should be able to short list one the places more easily.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:24   #7
BANNED

Hi,

You should be paying approx 40-45k to get your car repainted from metal up(scrap job) in Standox for any pearl/metallic/mica shade. Denting is generally extra. This is generally the avg cost in Mumbai. This is for a car painted using 100 % Standox raw material and painted in a paint booth. If its a overcoat in the same colour should cost you approx 10k less.

For garages who use Standox paint and other cheaper raw materials should cost less.

Honda does not have their own paint and will in all probabilities be using Standox which is one of the best and used by most OEM's in India.

More experienced & larger workshops will charge more as they have higher overheads. Hope I have been of some help.

Viper
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Mazda Motors it is

T-Bhp really wants one to be addicted to the Forum!, I didn't bother checking out the forum last night, slept over my choices and dropped my car off before heading to the Office!

If i had reviewed back on here ,my choices would have increased, but im sure my reasons below would have tilted me towards MAZDA MOTORS.

Reason for Workshop Choice :
  • Initial Customer Experience was very pleasing.It was very comforting speaking to not just the owner who pockets your money , but the staff as well had a certain level of ethics in customer relations. Spoke to the pianter,bodywork artist and owner . It all ended with a smile and clear cut answers on what work would be carried on .
  • The choice of vehicles waiting for service and painting in their workshop tilted me towards accepting their favorable reputation. They had 3 Classic Fiats,Honda Accords,new FIAT500,Sonata,CrV all undergoing varying degrees of paint jobs.
  • Quality of work done on light colored paints and dark ones was there to sample and seemed very good.My experience normally tilted towards admiring a dark colored paint job but in this showroom, i like the work done on a silver swift.
  • The workshop area and the whole location and aura of a 100yr old building in the middle, meeting up with the owners of an age old family business and having a laugh about all of us being left handed. All factors just made me think this place would make a better conversation than any other place even if the work was same as the rest.
  • On a lighter note,im from secunderabad and love the fact that good places of business are on this side of town as well
Color choice will be done in a week's time once the car is brought to its bare. The NHC is Signet Silver(OEM Name) but im planning to go a shade or two darker.

No exterior/interior modifications as such but im contemplating having the interiors done to a Dark Grey/ Light Grey Combination to go with the Silver Body.I'm not a Fan of the beige interiors.This being the first batch of NHC, it has this strange brown and beige combo with the crappy wood imitation at the gear lever/ashtray console.

All these changes are only to divert my urge of exchanging this NHC to the upcoming CITY.I have no issues with the car and not given it any makeup till now.Im hoping sprucing this a bit will put me off from wasting 4 lacs. I need to save as much douchie for the contessa coz thats a never ending long term project without a due date.

cheers for the replies and ill keep you all posted on the progress, quality and finish of the paintjob at MAZDA MOTORS, Secunderabad.

Rates are as follows

Removing Fittings + Refitting = Rs 3,500 (Labour Costs)
Denting + Painting = Rs 28,500(material costs)
2 coats of 2k AutoColor + Clear coat

new rear bumper as old one cracked - Zubin said he'll source one else ill buy it from the honda showroom for 4G's.

Total Service Time : 15 days + 2/3 days due to Ramzan Festival.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

why would honda showroom sell you the bumper???

and only 2+1 coats? are you sure on that part?

get atleast 5+1 coats which would last the car's life again and remember you are in hyderabad with a contessa with those may coats all minor scratches can be easily rubbed off with a rubbing compound rather than a repaint 2+1 seems low.
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Some doubts need to be cleared.

Ideally you will have 2 or 3 coats of color depending upon the covering capability of the particular color. It needs enough coats to hide the base primer color and reflect the real shade.

You need 2 (some rare cases 3) clearcoat sprays on top which is bascially the protective and glossy layer, no many how many coats 2, 3, 4, or 5 u have below it would make no difference to the shade or life of the color.
Old 2nd September 2008, 14:35   #11
BHPian

i think theres a bit of confusion here

the works being carried out on my NHC , not on the contessa which is a WIP .Hence i would be buying a NHC bumper from their Spares Department.

In reference to the no of coats. I'll clarify on the total number once i decide on the shade in a weeks time after the NHC has been stripped bare.I must confess i never asked about the layers of paint and instead remember asking only about the clear coat layer as an additional and they had mentioned that yes it will be done.

The reason for my scepticism on more coats more life issue is that how does one protect from the painter using a lot of thinner and doing 5 coats, from a person who's got good spray machines that dont need a lot of thinner and hence gets a much thicker coat in 2/3 sprays itsellf.Ive mentioned 2 coats since i've asked for my presence when the painting is done in order to learn for DIY jobs blah di blah.Just used this tact to judge on the quantity of paint used in relation to thinner and just work out if enough has been applied on the vehicle.the quality part ill leave it to the painter.

Does anyone know how much paint is normally utilized during a complete repaint of a NHC ( for 1 coat or on the whole job in general )?This would be helpful info.

OT : the contessa is in another workshop just down the road by my residence and all im gettin done is body panel mods etc at the moment .This car will be given to Workshops suggested by T-BHP in future once its ready.Must confess that if Mazda Motors do a good job on my NHC, who knows i might stick to them relying on past experiences.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 2nd September 2008 at 14:37.
Old 16th August 2013, 04:46   #12
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad - Repainting Quotations from Various Workshops

Reviving this thread.

I recently bought an octavia which badly needs a lick of paint. The car has a minor tear in one of the rear doors and many minor hairline scratches. The paint on the bumper is also peeling off and the alloys were scratched during transit. After a little research on team-BHP, I took the car to new mars kukatpally.

Once i reached new mars, I met mr prabhu who initially questioned the sanity of my purchase since he felt the car needed to be completely re-painted. He then proceeded to quote 70000 including taxes for painting the car and alloys. I asked him to check the car mechanically. He then took the car for a short test drive and declared that the only job needed was to tighten up the doors.

Is the 70000 quote reasonable? Could someone recommend other garages in Hyderabad for this job?
Old 8th September 2013, 09:51   #13
BHPian

I strongly recommend paint Job of NM. It lasts!

Doors tightening on my vRS at NM was job well done, a piece of advice is to get the sound proof matting done at the same time.
naveen.kk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 14:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
I strongly recommend paint Job of NM. It lasts!

Doors tightening on my vRS at NM was job well done, a piece of advice is to get the sound proof matting done at the same time.

Thanks naveen. My budget didn't allow me to get it done in NM. I eventually went to rapid bosch service who quoted 38000 for the job. I was also quite impressed with the painting infrastructure there and the place looked professional. The flip side was they were unproven and new in the scene.

I got to say i am very happy with the final outcome. The car looks so pretty now . I now see why the yellow Vrs was so raved about. Very few bought it though. Yellow is not a conventional color but it grows on you very quickly. I initially wanted the red or the black. Most yellow Vrs in the market are faded and don't look the part.

I could not get the alloys painted in RB though, they didn't have the expertise. NM quoted 8K for the alloys. I may stop by to get that done there. I just hope prabhu is cool with getting the car painted somewhere else.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:19   #15
BHPian

Great that you got it done, and i think its a good price. I will drop by to have a look at your car.
Can you PM your Mobile number?

Yes, Yellow add a lot of sporty attitude to cars. I drove Yellow S10 for quite a while, and it grabs lot of 'Wow' attention.

OT:
I have seen an Yellow vRS (WB plate) parked at Kondapur (Near Lake), Were you around on sunday?

Last edited by naveen.kk : 10th September 2013 at 09:22. Reason: Requested for Mobile number, as I couldn't PM Karthik

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks