Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 10:47   #1
BHPian

Engine and gearbox swap for 1991 SWB Trax

Hi,

My 1991 SWB Trax (2160 mm,OM 616 engine,65 bhp) has done more than 200,000 kms with no engine work - now showing increasing signs of age/wear and tear.Pick-up,top speed and FE still about 90% of when it was new.
I plan to swap the engine instead of messing around with the old one - a suitable Nissan/Toyota/Isuzu with matching gear box,possibly with front wheel drive too.
Would greatly appreciate suggestions - Where can I get these engines/gear boxes in Bangalore/Chennai?Who are the mechanics in these 2 cities for such jobs?

Thanks
Old 4th November 2008, 16:09   #2
BHPian

Neat, sounds like your trax is an absolute workhorse. Here is what I suggest

1. Swapping is a more complex job than initially meets the eye. And do NOT even consider changing the default layout to FWD.

2. If you intend on retaining your trax for a couple of years, and are happy with the current engine, why not overhaul the engine completely? A far simpler job and one that will reward you with higher reliability. If you are keen on a new engine, I'd suggest evaluting options within the Trax family itself. Preferably a bolt-on motor. I did the same for my 1.5 lakh km run Jeep and the results have been outstanding. Supreme reliability, direct fit, no unnecessary mating /vibrations / problems and factory support for parts.
Old 5th November 2008, 17:04   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions,GTO Touring.You are right - it is a good,trusted workhorse and I plan to keep it for many more years.That is why I would like to make some modifications for improved performance.
Will check with the dealer re a new Trax engine. Would an upgrade to a Trax 5 forward speed gearbox in place of the existing 4 speed be worthwhile with the current engine,after a complete overhaul?
Old 5th November 2008, 23:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes , get the old engine overhauled and if you can get a 5 speeder form the later models that would be great combination. By the way you can add a turbo and an intercooler to this engine to get 99bhp.
Old 6th November 2008, 11:36   #5
BHPian

Thanks,dinar.Hope that Force/BTL has turbocharger and intercooler compatible for retrofit on the existing OM 616.

And GTO-Touring,did you get any modifications done to the exhaust when you put in the new engine in your jeep?Do you anyone who has tried a free flow exhaust on a OM 616 or a jeep engine?
Old 6th November 2008, 18:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
Thanks,dinar.Hope that Force/BTL has turbocharger and intercooler compatible for retrofit on the existing OM 616.

And GTO-Touring,did you get any modifications done to the exhaust when you put in the new engine in your jeep?Do you anyone who has tried a free flow exhaust on a OM 616 or a jeep engine?

They had come out with a turbo version of this engine in the gurkha, so these thing should be there with them, if not you can retro fit any compatible turbo and inter cooler of a safari or the Scorpio.As for the plumbing will be there with them as they have turbo engine [the Di] at present in their line up.
If you can find out which company turbo they used on the engine I may able to get you a idea of what size and model number they may have used. if they do not give you this info at the ***.
Old 6th November 2008, 18:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I used OEM Bolero exhaust pipes, but they had to be shortened to fit the small CJ chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
By the way you can add a turbo and an intercooler to this engine to get 99bhp.
Citron : You know what I'd really recommend? Get a brand new engine with ancillaries. You will obviously keep the Trax for a long time to come; believe you me, the reliability will have you grinning from ear to ear. Never for a moment have I regretted going the entire mile with a new engine for my Classic. Especially after reading some other sore swap reports on Team-BHP, as well as my own disastrous experience with a 1.8 ISZ swap in the after-market.
Old 10th November 2008, 19:12   #8
BHPian

Hi all, I am trying to find out the detail of all the engines which are available normally in India (i.e. Toyota 2C, 3C etc). I wanted to have a details as CC, BHP, torque etc to make a comparative chart. Most of the mechanic only have half of the information. Can any body help me as I am quite fed up after going on to my online research, I could not find any stuff so far.
Old 10th November 2008, 19:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi all, I am trying to find out the detail of all the engines which are available normally in India (i.e. Toyota 2C, 3C etc). I wanted to have a details as CC, BHP, torque etc to make a comparative chart. Most of the mechanic only have half of the information. Can any body help me as I am quite fed up after going on to my online research, I could not find any stuff so far.

Hey if you know the engine numbers,which are available with the local market than you'll get info of the net.
Old 11th November 2008, 09:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey if you know the engine numbers,which are available with the local market than you'll get info of the net.
See Dinar, the problem is that I can not have engine no. for all the models available in the market instead I have to go vice versa. In simple words, if I ask you to suggest 20 engines to swap for a MM540, you must have a list of all available engines with you along with the other specification to put in front and to choose one from.

I hope you are getting what I mean to say.

CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE.
Old 11th November 2008, 12:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Have no idea of fix engines which are available, I have see builds [ specifically M&Ms] using 3.0L TATA engine with turbo [90bhp and a huge torque], there's also a six cylinder Toyota engined Jeep [3.0L again] no idea of the model number but have heard that these are available in the market.There were couple of jeeps where I use to study with cummins 4cylinder and 6 cylinder A series [4 liter both around 125-150 bhp] engines [out of fishing trollers] mated to auto box out of the hilux and one had eicher 5 speed gearbox both these engines can be tuned to get morepower. All the builds were nice, on paper and some were good to drive like the TATA 3.0L and the toyota. the cummin six cylinder was a monster to dirve but had a draw back ,no 4X4. but was fun due to it torque.
If your looking at replacing the enigne in the MM540 stick to MM enignes they do not ruin the charcter of the vehicle. try finding a 2.5L bolero/armada grand 72.5bhp enigne and gear box[you will be able to keep the 4x4]or if your lucking you can find a old DI scropio enigne [non CRDe] that is 110 bhp enigne.
I suggest these as they are more relaible than the imports and since they are M&M servicing them is easy, luse light enough for the 540. and you wound have to fiddle much with the engine mounts.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:55   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

My 1991 SWB Trax (2160 mm,OM 616 engine,65 bhp) has done more than 200,000 kms with no engine work - now showing increasing signs of age/wear and tear.Pick-up,top speed and FE still about 90% of when it was new.
I plan to swap the engine instead of messing around with the old one - a suitable Nissan/Toyota/Isuzu with matching gear box,possibly with front wheel drive too.
Would greatly appreciate suggestions - Where can I get these engines/gear boxes in Bangalore/Chennai?Who are the mechanics in these 2 cities for such jobs?

Thanks
Instead of swapping the engine , I can recommend reconditioning the engine . It would be cheaper and easier as well . You could upgrade the engine to Tempo traveller nozzles and get the pump serviced at a mico authorised outlet using tempo traveller settings . You will get more power than what you have .
I assume you have a 4 speed gearbox . You can get a 5 speed tempo traveller Gearbox and get it fixed .

This would save you a lot of trouble and effort rather than find an engine for swapping .

You may also find a tempo traveller or GAMA engine for turbo or DI characteristics and that would be real expensive .
Old 11th November 2008, 22:25   #13

I personally feel that if you are a bit of a mechanic yourself then go ahead with an engine swap because if you do have problems you will be able to rectify them and also if you are going to use this car as a weekend car or a special vehicle but if you are not good with tools and are going to use it on everyday basis its better to stick to stock parts or even upgrades by the manufacturer.

I am telling this out of personal experience as I had an engine swap on my 1989 Amby and till today anyone other than my Bro and I have a problem driving it whereas the same guys dont have a problem driving my 2003 Amby Grand.

The same with the Mechanicals too, everytime I have to buy a part for the Grand I just have to say mention the year but for the '89 I have to specify each and every part as it is not OEM and most of the time take a sample with me.

So finally you gotta decide whether you are willing to spend time, energy and the patience for a swap or just stick to stock.
Old 17th November 2008, 11:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If your looking at replacing the enigne in the MM540 stick to MM enignes they do not ruin the charcter of the vehicle. try finding a 2.5L bolero/armada grand 72.5bhp enigne and gear box[you will be able to keep the 4x4]or if your lucking you can find a old DI scropio enigne [non CRDe] that is 110 bhp enigne.
I suggest these as they are more relaible than the imports and since they are M&M servicing them is easy, luse light enough for the 540. and you wound have to fiddle much with the engine mounts.
Hi Dinar, Thanks for the suggestion. My machine already has a 72.5 XDB3 engine of MM550 militory. But still it seems I need some more power to drive it on the desert land as the sand it too soft and you need a lots of torque. However meanwhile I am also working on to fit LSD by which all the four wheels will move the vehicle forward without spinning even a single one. Let us see. So what I understood from this thread that I should give up idea of engine swaping and should wait for Mahindra Axe to come and fulfill my demand .
Old 17th November 2008, 15:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi Dinar, Thanks for the suggestion. My machine already has a 72.5 XDB3 engine of MM550 militory. But still it seems I need some more power to drive it on the desert land as the sand it too soft and you need a lots of torque. However meanwhile I am also working on to fit LSD by which all the four wheels will move the vehicle forward without spinning even a single one. Let us see. So what I understood from this thread that I should give up idea of engine swaping and should wait for Mahindra Axe to come and fulfill my demand .

YES, as you want to keep the 4x4, or find the Scorpio engine. Any other engine spoils the MM540/550. Unless it's for city use and never going to be used for off roading.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks