Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2008, 04:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Clear Protective Car Bra - Pros and Cons

Ok gentlemen, I see that I have your attention. But no, this isn't a Victoria's secret item that Katrina Kaif bought newly for her wardrobe.

For those who have not heard of it, it is a Paint Protection Film from manufacturers like 3M, to protect the paint of the car from stone chips, scratches etc.

Here is an article I found - 3M Protective Film Clear Bra Test - Automotive Articles .com Magazine

Never heard of this product when I was in India. Anybody used it? The pro's are obvious, what are the con's? Google says paint may not be as shiny as without the bra, anything else?
Old 11th November 2008, 07:04   #2
BHPian

Not heard of yet. But the cons I can think off – the looks will certainly be dull when the film is present. Add to that the possibility of dirt & moisture getting trapped between the film & paint because of installation defects, contours of the car, scratches that the film gets in usage etc. can probably be more damaging than without film. I would any day prefer the bra-less stuff!
Old 11th November 2008, 07:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats the 3M coating we get done for our vehicles. Yes the gloss is there after 4 years IMO.
Old 11th November 2008, 08:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey thats the 3M coating we get done for our vehicles. Yes the gloss is there after 4 years IMO.
This is not the coating what we normally get - But some kind of film - a clear film which you stick on the top of painted surface (like you put film on glass).
Old 11th November 2008, 10:08   #5
BHPian

I had seen a similar sort of product at the Autocar Performance Car Show 2007 at the Film-Pro stall. They had installed it in a Merc C or E Class which was on display and it had this paint protection film on parts of the car which are most prone to scratches like front/rear bumpers, door handles, Outer rear view mirrors etc. The guy at the stall asked me to take a real time test and try my best to scratch the protected parts of the car. I tried scratching the protected parts with various sharp objects but it did not scratch anything. I was impressed!
Old 11th November 2008, 10:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

prince, do you have contact numbers for film-pro?
Old 11th November 2008, 17:15   #7
BHPian

sounds and looks impressive!! how much would it cost!!
Old 11th November 2008, 20:56   #8

Would really appreciate it if I can get some details on where I can get this done
Old 11th November 2008, 22:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

i have it on my civic since 2006. it has performed beyond my expectations in the weather conditions of Dubai.

i have a silver civic and 3M PPF is 99% invisible. when i tell people about it, they want to get it done.

its applied on my civic's bonnet, front fenders, headlights/fog lights, door handles, door edges, door sills, ORVMs and upper part of the rear bumber for protection while shifting stuff from boot.

it is one of the best products 3M ever came out for automotives besides 3M scotchtints.
cheers:
Old 11th November 2008, 22:49   #10
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85 View Post
I had seen a similar sort of product at the Autocar Performance Car Show 2007 at the Film-Pro stall.
I had seen it too.

I think It was on a Mercedes E class.

The only con I think this product can have it is that when you remove the film the paint may look different.
I mean the uncovered parts would have become dull or could have some minor scratches, whereas the parts which were covered will look good as new.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

srk why would you remove it?
Old 11th November 2008, 22:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't think I haven't seen this thread.

I am dying to say 1000 things. Like I am so dying to say so much stuff. But I've been warned by the support team to steer clear of the technical threads.
Quote:
Add to that the possibility of dirt & moisture getting trapped between. I would any day prefer the bra-less stuff!
Come on!! I mean COME ON!! Really come ON!!

Anyways, umm... interesting stuff. I learned something new today. Thanks.

By the way kuttapan, pros and cons do not need apostrophes.
Old 11th November 2008, 23:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am dying to say 1000 things. Like I am so dying to say so much stuff. But I've been warned by the support team to steer clear of the technical threads.

Come on!! I mean COME ON!! Really come ON!!

Anyways, umm... interesting stuff. I learned something new today. Thanks.

By the way kuttapan, pros and cons do not need apostrophes.
Thanks Sam Bhai. I had a doubt regarding the apostrophes, but did not bother clarifying.

The bra is supposed to be invisible once put on, so a lot would depend on the skill of the person putting it on. Also, flying stones may damage the bra over time, so it may need replacement. I think there is some special chemical to remove the adhesive without causing damage to the paint.

I would say this product has lot of scope in India, I had a stone chip off my car's paint(minute, though) in the first week of ownership. Anybody have an idea how much it costs?

@Sam - Maybe you could talk about this product in a new blog - Like, you saw a car with this product and then you thought about this and that and blah..blah..blah..
Old 12th November 2008, 00:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
prince, do you have contact numbers for film-pro?
I am soo sorry but i lost their brochure which had all their contact details

But IIRC, Jignesh(Viper) also deals with Film-Pro line of products. He could surely help us know more about this innovative BRA from Film-Pro, what say Jiggy?

Cheers
Old 12th November 2008, 13:35   #15
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
srk why would you remove it?
It would have to be removed if it gets damaged but then you would replace it once again.
I was just trying to explain the only disadvantage that came to my mind.

Also this technology is something similar to what we use on our phone's screen. Remember those 'Scratch Guards'.
They usually come precut,so you need to just stick them.
Similarly this film will be precut for different parts (Bumpers,Fenders,Rear View Mirrors,etc.) and will be installed by a professional.

Can someone try and find out the overall cost of the application of this film?
I assume that it would be costly but probably better then re-painting your car.

I remember buying my Scratch Guard for Rs.350/- and now you do get some China made ones which do similar job for about Rs.50/-.

I found the Brochure that I had from last years Autocar Performance show.
Clear Protective Car Bra - Pros and Cons-12112008341.jpg
Clear Protective Car Bra - Pros and Cons-12112008340.jpg
Clear Protective Car Bra - Pros and Cons-12112008339.jpg

Sorry I didn't have a scanner so Clicked some pics of it.

By the way their website isn't working.

Last edited by SRK : 12th November 2008 at 13:38.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks